The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2010, 09:17 PM   #1031
FlyGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeast_infection View Post
I'm working with 2 ten gallon igloo coolers if that helps. Wondering if I need to take everything back and get half inch? or if I'm just missing something with how this all works?
If the Igloo coolers have a hole and spigot gasket that is larger than the Rubbermaid, then by all means just upsize to 1/2" parts instead. The general design should still be the same.

My whole purpose in using the 3/8" parts was that they fit the Rubbermaid spigot gasket PERFECTLY. If your parts fit a 1/2" gasket, then that will work too (in fact, some might prefer the larger hardware, albeit slightly more expensive).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 12:37 AM   #1032
prodigal_son7
Recipes 

I actually put together Fly Guy's exact design yesterday and had all 3/8 parts but could've used 1/2 instead. What I did though was to use 1/16" thick rubber washers that had a 5/8 ID to fit right over the middle of the double male threaded piece. Put a rubber washer on either side and tightened it down on both sides. Filled it to the brim and let it sit for an hour and no leak to be found.

Brewed 30 minutes after that still great.

Thanks Fly Guy for all the info.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:58 AM   #1033
SamuraiSquirrel
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I got her to work lol. It cost me an extra $3 to return everything (all parts X 2 - MLT & HLT) and exchange the 3/8 for 1/2. Works like a charm. Used the same exact design only everything 1/2 rather than 3/8.

Can't wait to brew with em.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:15 AM   #1034
bbbrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Does the configuration that Flyguy talks about here, also work at the top of the MLT if you intend on recirculating the wort with a pump? I'm concerned with the contour of the round cooler. Maybe a flat walled cooler would be easier to attached the higher inlet connection. Any thoughts?

BB

Old 03-15-2010, 02:53 PM   #1035
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Some final touches on FlyGuy's MLT Clone. Thanks again! Hit 73% eff. on first batch.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:44 PM   #1036
kjjohns5
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I found some 5'8" SS washers today. Had to go to 2 nuts and bolts shops to find them

Old 03-17-2010, 01:31 AM   #1037
snevey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I had a hell of time getting mine to not leak out around the ball valve. I reused the original washer that came with the original spigot, SS washer and a couple outside. Tightened it so much the cooler was screeching. I ended up going to Lowe's and getting a 5/8" rubber grommet. I put this in the hole for the spigot, then did everything as instructed minus the factory rubber washer. NO LEAKS I am proud to say...

Old 03-17-2010, 02:07 AM   #1038
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendBrewer View Post
Some final touches on FlyGuy's MLT Clone. Thanks again! Hit 73% eff. on first batch.

Great looking mash tun! Let us know how that first batch goes.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:09 AM   #1039
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snevey View Post
I had a hell of time getting mine to not leak out around the ball valve. I reused the original washer that came with the original spigot, SS washer and a couple outside. Tightened it so much the cooler was screeching. I ended up going to Lowe's and getting a 5/8" rubber grommet. I put this in the hole for the spigot, then did everything as instructed minus the factory rubber washer. NO LEAKS I am proud to say...
Actually, over-tightening is the leading cause of leaks. Did you try backing off a bit? I bet that was it.

Also, did you use teflon tape on the fittings? That's a must (for the nipple and ball valve at least).

Old 03-17-2010, 03:41 AM   #1040
knownikko
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjohns5 View Post
I found some 5'8" SS washers today.
Holy crap. How did you get them home?

Quick Reply