Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cheap Beer filter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012, 01:17 AM   #11
pr8_headed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Yeah I use it mainly as a trub filter. I'm sure it wouldn't come close to a plate filter as far as clarity. The first batch of red ale is fairly clear but not crystal. The second batch of smoked scotch ale is still hiding in the keg. But every time I pass the keg I hear it calling my name. I'm half tempted to bottle the scotch ale to clear the keg but I just can't seem to find the gumption to do it. AHHHH 53 BOTTLES!!! It's probably clearer than the red because I cold crashed it and didn't the red.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #12
badhabit
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

This is a great build. How does the Beer look?

Old 03-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #13
wrench
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd love to see a side-by-side photo of beer just before and after filtering to really know how effective your rig is. How dense would you say you packed the tube? Any worries of the beer taking the path of least resistance and just flowing down channels along the outside?

Old 03-17-2012, 02:42 AM   #14
pr8_headed
Recipes 

I crammed as much as I possible could in there. The curtain I bought was actually a swag I think its called (ask the nearest woman) it was 59" X 18' and I got a good 2/3s so 12' ish. The filter sits fairly vertical so it has little choice but to flow though the curtain of trub doom MUHAHAHA.

As far as filtering out chill haze I don't think this filter would do it but I dunno. It filters sediment like a witch. I have no idea about what kind of microns the filter is it didn't say on the package. I doubt this filter is the be all end all of filters but it's dirt cheap and infinitely reusable. It has done me well as a trub filter.

I can't really get a before picture of the beer cause it's in the pressurized fermentor keg. But it's clear when it comes out of the filter hose.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:15 AM   #15
jusware
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I guess I don't understand why you filter in the first place. Why not just use gelatin? or if you are fermenting in a corny for the primary, why not just cut off the dip tube or add some hose to the end of the dip tube angled up so it doesn't pick up the trub in the first place? Not trying to marsh your mellow .. I'm a big fan of DIY'edness and think your filter is pretty awesome.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:36 AM   #16
pr8_headed
Recipes 

I don't wanna cut the dip tube so I can use the keg as a serving keg also. I thought about bending it but still the same result. I don't necessarily have one dedicated fermentor keg just which ever one is empty. I didn't think of hose DOH that would have been alot cheaper but not near as nifty looking. When I saw the trub first thing I thought of was I have to filter this stuff. I usually try to avoid the KISS method of engineering and make things more complicated than they need to be LOL. That way when your done you feel like you really accomplished something.

Quick Reply