Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cheap Beer filter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
pr8_headed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cheap Beer filter

Hello,

I looked at all kinds of ways to try and filter my beer and none of them were very cheap. I wanted to be able to filter the beer and not lose much of it in the process. I also wanted a cheap easy to clean reusable filter media. My filter cost me about $20 not including the tubing which I already had. I used 2" pvc pipe but any size would probably work. The filter media is a polyester voile curtain I got at Big Lots for $4.

I use a corny keg to do pressurized fermenting so I put the filter between the kegs when I transfer the beer. I only set the pressure at about 15 psi so it's slow. I put the fermentor keg up on the counter top so gravity can give me a hand with the flow. Very little beer is lost in the process which I like, don't wanna waste beer that's alcohol abuse. I can't really comment the filters efficiency as I have nothing to compare it to. But I can say it's the best beer filter I've ever had I have used it to filter two brews and it worked great on both no trub made though. After I'm done I just pull the curtain out and rinse it out and wash it with the next load of laundry. I have discovered it's better to sew the cut end unless you like a zillion white hairs in your clothes.

All the pieces are standard pvc fittings with 2 nylon 1/2" npt to 1/4" barb fittings and 1 cheapy stainless sink strainer. I cut the pipe 12" long which makes the whole thing about 18" long total. After I had it together I let it sit for about a week until the pipe dope smell was totally gone. I put the sink strainer on the output end to keep the curtain out of the outlet fitting. I then crammed as much of the curtain in the pipe as humanly possible and cut it off.

Please forgive the crappy pictures my phone sucks as a camera!

photo-0065.jpg   photo-0070.jpg   photo-0073.jpg  

Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

looks pretty good. i like the fact that the filter is reusable and not fine enough to strip flavors from the beer (like using <1 micron canister filters will).

one thing i would recomend though, would be to fill the filter completely with sanitizer and push it out with CO2 before filtering beer. otherwise you will get a lot of extra oxygen uptake with that thing...

also, how does cleaning work?

Old 03-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
TrubHead
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Making something similar but haven't settled on the filter media.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
pr8_headed
Recipes 

one thing i would recomend though, would be to fill the filter completely with sanitizer and push it out with CO2 before filtering beer. otherwise you will get a lot of extra oxygen uptake with that thing...

also, how does cleaning work?[/QUOTE]

audger,

I never thought of the oxygen uptake that's a great idea thanks. I'll have to put a valve and drain line between the kegs and drain off the sanitizer. Filter clean up is easy I just rinse it out in the sink. The curtain comes 100% clean in the sink but I still wash it in the washing machine and then soak it in sanitizer before reuse. It doesn't absorb any liquid but it will hold ALOT.

TrubHead,

I love the curtain material super cheap and easy to clean. It's infinitely reusable if you sew up the cut end. On the other hand you could get a curtain and stuff it in a length of pipe and cut the pipe to fit the curtain. It's hard to go wrong with cheap and easy.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
pr8_headed
Recipes 

Also you need to put teflon tape on the threaded cap before each use or it's almost impossible to get back out.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
TrubHead
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My design is much shorter and not as much filter media. Not sure if this is a concern but I'd go neutral (low dye) on the fabric color just in case color leaches out. Am I too...you know "anul" or whatever?

Old 03-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
pr8_headed
Recipes 

I used white cloth to be safe. I've been accused of being to anal but I take it as a compliment. Better safe than sorry. On my filter most of the gunk is caught in the first 3-4 inches but I transfer REALLY slow to try not to push the gunk any more than I have to. I don't mind waiting a few extra minutes to have the beer filtered. The first batch I did in my pressurized system transferred a bunch of muck which inspired the filter. I have not cut or bent the dip tube in my keg so it's a mudsucker.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
TrubHead
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Good choice on the color. Better to err on the "anul" side in my opinion.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #9
bloodonblood
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I love this idea!

Old 03-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #10
born3z
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Very cool idea. Is this mainly to filter just trub? What kind of clarity do you get with it?

Quick Reply