Chalkboard Tap Handle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanGC

Reaction score
For Christmas I received this chalkboard tap handle for my kegerator. Amazon.com: Tap Board Chalk Board Tap Handle: Kitchen & Dining

My review on amazon.

I received this tap handle as a gift for Christmas. I am a home brewer so this was perfect. The quality of the handle was good for the price but the blackboard/chalkboard material was very cheap. It was difficult to write the chalk on and basically ruined the concept in general. I was able to sand down the top part and repaint it with a higher quality chalkboard paint. Now the tap looks and functions great. I would recommend spending the extra money and getting a better made tap handle for the consumer, and foR the vendor they should really revise their quality control and think about upgrading the chalkboard material.

I used 120 grit sand paper to sand it down and then gave it two coats of Shop Valspar 1-Quart Chalkboard Specialty Enamel Black at Lowes.com .

I painted the entire top portion so now both sides are easy to write on and it came out great! I figured I'd put this up here in case others had this tap handle and were also disappointed.

IMG_20120122_125032.jpg

IMG_20120120_165417.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife gave me the same thing. Mine is the black dry erase version. I think it works pretty well. I wound up making three more with plexiglass painted black (back side of course). I spent 20 bucks for all three of my homemade version.

Back