Chalkboard Keezer Lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtn80

Reaction score
I just wanted to post some pictures and thoughts for anyone who is interested in adding the chalkboard effect to a keezer lid. I realize there are some threads out there on this, but just wanted to add my $.02.

When I was at Home Depot, I was looking for Bondo to fill the textured surface of the keezer lid to make it ready for the chalkboard paint. Instead I found this product from 3M. It's sandable, paintable and pretty cheap:

5928334574_7f4034523e.jpg

Here is the keezer lid cleaned and taped:

5928325322_c20eb951eb.jpg

The puddy is a two part product, with a liquid component and a cream-like hardener. Once you mix the two together, it starts the hardening process. I applied about a quarter of an inch of puddy and smoothed with a puddy knife:

5927769893_2cfecf2d32.jpg

The puddy only takes half an hour to dry, and is then ready to sand and paint. So I hit it with the palm sander until it was a smooth surface, then put down three coats of the chalkboard paint, all about a minute or two apart:

5928330868_ce2db88ff2.jpg

The chalkboard paint took about a half hour until dry to the touch, once that was done I removed the taping and newspaper:

5928337622_ffca152416.jpg

The chalkboard paint takes 24 hours until ready for chalk. So the next day, I followed the instructions on the paint and prepped the chalkboard surface by rubbing it down with the side of a piece of chalk, and then wiping it clean. Then the chalkboard was ready for writing:

5928339322_57ccd100a8.jpg

I realize I write like and 8 year old, but now people know what beer is on each tap, and the alcohol percentage/IBU of each beer.

Total cost: around $18.
Total time: 1-1.5 hours.

Better writing than mine.....

Looks awesome! I have been wanting to do this but I haven't wanted to paint the whole lid black. Never actually thought to just section it off...

Yeah, I didn't want the entire top done either, people who drink my homebrew just want to know which tap is which, so I didn't need a ton of room to describe it or anything.

The nice thing is that when I did mine there were a couple areas where I didn't tape perfectly, and the combination of the putty and the paint makes it possible to cut the edges with an xacto knife.

Latest posts

Back