Cask Cellar Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

compact007

Reaction score
So I'm in the process of refinishing my basement and have this area underneath my stairs. Would it be possible to insulate the area underneath the stairs put a mini fridge in there with no door on it and use the mini fridge to cool down the area to cellar temps so I can make it a cask cellar? During the winter the mini fridge would only have to drop the areas temperature down a few degrees, however in the summer it would have to drop the cellar temp down about about 15°.

image-655168819.jpg

image-1551330703.jpg

Part of the fridge needs to not be in the cooled space. Depending on the fridge, this could be the back (if you can see fins) or everything but the front, The fridge doesn't magically create cool air. It exchanges heat from inside and pushes it out the side/back.

Subscribed. I'm thinking about doing something similar under my stairs in the basement

I believe they sell mold resistant paint. However your supposed to reprint yearly to bi-yearly. The key part of this area is the is a drain hold right there so I have place for any leaks to drain. I'll try to keep everyone updated on what I decide to do.

a 'relatively' cheap fridge with a PID controller will help do what you need too. this past summer... neighbors thought I had the coolest garage ever...

WP_20130606_006.jpg

I haven't done much, but i will try to post some pics when I get home. I added a 120v plug under the stairs, and put my beer engine and kegerator in place. Looks like I may change the setup so it is more of a under stairs bar with a cask fridge kind of like laughingboys.

Back