The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Can these keggles be fixed?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2010, 06:49 AM   #1
ks_medic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Can these keggles be fixed?

So my friend had a friend that was a welder that would weld my keggles and cut the tops for a case of beer. (hell of a deal since i didn't know any welders) He said he could weld stainless no prob. Well long story short the welder friend passed the kegs to another welder friend and somewhere in the mix the spacing for the couplings was miss communicated. Also he attempted to weld the inside of the keg and was unable to. Will it be possible to weld now with the spacing so close together? Do i even need to weld the inside?? Or are these kegs ruined now?

A little blurry. The flash and angle were giving me trouble.

Last edited by ks_medic; 07-07-2010 at 06:57 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2010, 07:00 AM   #2
Stuntman
Alcohol to Urine 37+ yrs. Not any longer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sure beats my setup! Welds look good to me, it's tight alright, I would go for it.

Welding inside, IMHO and I am probably wrong, is probably so that there is no gaps to have sugar to build up in. You might want to get a toothbrush and make sure you get the fittings on the inside nice and clean after each use. Everything ends up being boiled so even if it builds up you would be sterilizing every batch by boiling though.

Emphasis on drank, sober since August 28 2011

Old 07-07-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
bf514921
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

they weren't welded inside, i will post a pic c of mine, that is jus the heating through. if they were wleded on the inside they would be similar to the outside welds. then again the picture is a bit fuzzy

Last edited by bf514921; 07-07-2010 at 12:51 PM. Reason: added second sentence

Old 07-07-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

While they aren't beautiful welds, they are typical and will work fine as long as there are no leaks.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 07-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
bf514921
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

this is what mine look like, they are welded on the outside only.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:45 PM   #6
ks_medic
Recipes 

Thanks for the help. From what I'm gathering, it doesn't matter if the inside is welded or not because boiling will kill off the bacteria. So it's not worth having the inside welded as long as they don't leak. And i should just RDWHAHB. Am i on the right track here?

BTW Bobby M does that site glass look familiar. Its one you made and that thing is sturdy. Can't wait to try it out.

Here are some better pictures of the inside of the keggles.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:11 AM   #7
kmat123
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

If the ball valve can close completely without contacting the face of the thermo I don't see any problems. Everything is probably closer together than you had envisioned it, but still looks very functional.

Empire Brewing - Bend, OR
http://empirebrewing.wordpress.com/

Fermenting: Guv'nor ESB
Kegged: Ominous Black Ale, Molotov IRA, 2011 Below Zero Barleywine, Cream Dream Stout, Amarillo IPA, Apfelwein

Old 07-08-2010, 12:46 AM   #8
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmat123 View Post
If the ball valve can close completely without contacting the face of the thermo I don't see any problems. Everything is probably closer together than you had envisioned it, but still looks very functional.
Just swap the thermo with the sight glass.

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 07-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #9
Brewers Hardware
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Based on the better pictures, they weren't back-gassed and what you see there is sugaring. Not a big deal on the hot side of your brewery but if you can I would try to grind off the sugaring with a Dremel and re-passivate the area around the welds otherwise they will rust. BKF and a stainless or nylon toothbrush will repassivate the SS but the sugaring would have to be removed with a grinding or sanding wheel.

I have my valves rotated so the handle is vertical when off and I pull them straight down to open. This way there is at least a little less chance of burning the grips off!

Premium Brewing Kettles | Conical Fermenters | SS Carboy/Conical Thermowell | Stainless Thermowells
Tri Clover Fittings | Sanke keg fermenter

Become a Brewer's Hardware Fan on Facebook!

Old 07-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
ks_medic
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrin View Post
Based on the better pictures, they weren't back-gassed and what you see there is sugaring. Not a big deal on the hot side of your brewery but if you can I would try to grind off the sugaring with a Dremel and re-passivate the area around the welds otherwise they will rust. BKF and a stainless or nylon toothbrush will repassivate the SS but the sugaring would have to be removed with a grinding or sanding wheel.

I have my valves rotated so the handle is vertical when off and I pull them straight down to open. This way there is at least a little less chance of burning the grips off!
Thanks for the help. I know nothing about welding so when you say re-passivate its over my head. I take it sugaring is the raised welded area. I could get a hold of a stainless brush, not sure what BFK brush is? I've been wanting a dremel and this might just be the excuse to buy one

Quick Reply