Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Can someone review my STC-1000 Diagram Idea??
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2014, 12:51 AM   #1
DesignatedDrinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 175
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Can someone review my STC-1000 Diagram Idea??

Whats up fellow brewers. Basically my plan is to kick on two 12V PC fans via outlet whenever the Compressor turns on to help circulate cold air around.



Could someone please review this and let me know if its good to go.



....Also, the built in lid light is on its own power cord that runs out the back of the lid and plugs into a splitter down in the compressor section. I would like to keep it "Hot" all the time so when I open it, it turns on, just not sure how to incorporate it? I'll be using a 16/3 cord, so ill have two 110v "Hot" lines if that helps.



Thanks!

File Type: jpg Diagram.jpg (56.1 KB, 112 views)
__________________
DesignatedDrinker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2014, 01:42 AM   #2
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Stow, MA
Posts: 10,311
Liked 1228 Times on 994 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignatedDrinker View Post
Whats up fellow brewers. Basically my plan is to kick on two 12V PC fans via outlet whenever the Compressor turns on to help circulate cold air around.

Could someone please review this and let me know if its good to go.
Most definitely NOT ready for prime time!
You have your 12VDC fans connected to the 120VAC power. Bad juju.

If you were to plug a 12VDC wall wart into either of the fan outlets shown then wire the two fans to that, you'd be in good shape.

Quote:
....Also, the built in lid light is on its own power cord that runs out the back of the lid and plugs into a splitter down in the compressor section. I would like to keep it "Hot" all the time so when I open it, it turns on, just not sure how to incorporate it? I'll be using a 16/3 cord, so ill have two 110v "Hot" lines if that helps.
The lid power feed is connected to the line cord before the line cord continues to the compressor and controls. If you leave the splice intact and cut the line cord closer to the compressor, you can insert your Cold relay there. The lid light will always operate when the lid opens whether the compressor is running or not...

Cheers!
__________________
day_trippr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2014, 02:55 AM   #3
microbusbrewery
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
microbusbrewery's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Jordan, UT
Posts: 1,140
Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default

+1 what day trippr said, if those really are 12vdc on 120vac, they're not going to last very long. If it were me, I'd have have the fans running all the time. It'll help keep the temps even all the time.

__________________
http://www.microbusbrewery.org/
microbusbrewery is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2014, 03:12 AM   #4
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Stow, MA
Posts: 10,311
Liked 1228 Times on 994 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbusbrewery View Post
+1 what day trippr said, if those really are 12vdc on 120vac, they're not going to last very long. If it were me, I'd have have the fans running all the time. It'll help keep the temps even all the time.
And I agree with that. My keezer fans run 24/7.
But if the lad wants switched fans, he'd best add that wall wart

Cheers!
__________________
day_trippr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2014, 03:28 AM   #5
Hamaki
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Jackson, CA
Posts: 283
Liked 88 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

Now I just assumed wall warts were a foregone conclusion, but you know what happens when one assumes. My question would be how much current does the freezer draw? I believe there's a 10A limit on the STC.

__________________
Hamaki is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2014, 03:54 AM   #6
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Stow, MA
Posts: 10,311
Liked 1228 Times on 994 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamaki View Post
[...] My question would be how much current does the freezer draw? I believe there's a 10A limit on the STC.
Yup, rating is 10A @120vac, and it's always a good thing to check the manufacturer plate. There are old beasts out there that may well tax the relays on that controller, but otoh/fwiw, the 13cf freezer I bought new in December is plate rated at 7.5A...

Cheers!
__________________
day_trippr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2014, 04:08 AM   #7
Hamaki
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Jackson, CA
Posts: 283
Liked 88 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

I suppose that if someone had a freezer that draws more than 10A on startup they could have a 120V outlet switched by the STC 1000, a wall wart plugged into that controlling a SSR of whatever amperage needed to switch the freezer on & off. Kinda like the setup for the fans.

__________________
Hamaki is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2014, 05:11 AM   #8
billybryson54
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Crockett, CA
Posts: 132
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

FWIW, my Stc-1000 had two sets of receptacles. One was the Broken-jumper outlet that is controlled by the Stc itself, the other outlet is hot at all times so I can control a stir plate on one side, and a circulation fan on the other.

__________________
billybryson54 is offline
masonsjax Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2014, 09:46 AM   #9
DesignatedDrinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 175
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
Most definitely NOT ready for prime time!
You have your 12VDC fans connected to the 120VAC power. Bad juju.

If you were to plug a 12VDC wall wart into either of the fan outlets shown then wire the two fans to that, you'd be in good shape.



The lid power feed is connected to the line cord before the line cord continues to the compressor and controls. If you leave the splice intact and cut the line cord closer to the compressor, you can insert your Cold relay there. The lid light will always operate when the lid opens whether the compressor is running or not...

Cheers!
My diagram annotates that the 12vdc fans are pluged into the 120VAC outlet. This will be done with 12vdc power supply spliced into the fans. I believe thats what you were saying, thats also what i am doing. Sorry if my diagram didnt show that properly.


As for cold relay.... If the compressor is plugged into the STC, and the lid feed is plugged into the same power feed, even with a cold relay, how is the light going to come on if the STC isnt sending power?
__________________
DesignatedDrinker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2014, 09:48 AM   #10
DesignatedDrinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 175
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamaki View Post
Now I just assumed wall warts were a foregone conclusion, but you know what happens when one assumes. My question would be how much current does the freezer draw? I believe there's a 10A limit on the STC.

It draws 5A, so no worries
__________________
DesignatedDrinker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
STC 1000 wiring diagram question brock_gonad DIY Projects 13 02-10-2014 11:38 PM
wiring diagram for two STC-1000 controlling two heaters and one fridge BrewskiBroski DIY Projects 5 01-12-2014 04:22 PM
STC-1000 with relays, wiring diagram? petrolSpice Equipment/Sanitation 7 01-07-2014 09:03 AM
Could someone review my wiring diagram? BBBF Electric Brewing 14 11-24-2013 04:53 PM
Ebay Temp Controller (STC-1000) Wiring diagram BeardedIdiot DIY Projects 14 11-26-2012 01:45 PM