Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Can someone review my STC-1000 Diagram Idea??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2014, 12:51 AM   #1
DesignatedDrinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Can someone review my STC-1000 Diagram Idea??

Whats up fellow brewers. Basically my plan is to kick on two 12V PC fans via outlet whenever the Compressor turns on to help circulate cold air around.

Could someone please review this and let me know if its good to go.

....Also, the built in lid light is on its own power cord that runs out the back of the lid and plugs into a splitter down in the compressor section. I would like to keep it "Hot" all the time so when I open it, it turns on, just not sure how to incorporate it? I'll be using a 16/3 cord, so ill have two 110v "Hot" lines if that helps.

Thanks!

File Type: jpg Diagram.jpg (56.1 KB, 112 views)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2014, 01:42 AM   #2
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1228 Times on 994 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignatedDrinker View Post
Whats up fellow brewers. Basically my plan is to kick on two 12V PC fans via outlet whenever the Compressor turns on to help circulate cold air around.

Could someone please review this and let me know if its good to go.
Most definitely NOT ready for prime time!
You have your 12VDC fans connected to the 120VAC power. Bad juju.

If you were to plug a 12VDC wall wart into either of the fan outlets shown then wire the two fans to that, you'd be in good shape.

Quote:
....Also, the built in lid light is on its own power cord that runs out the back of the lid and plugs into a splitter down in the compressor section. I would like to keep it "Hot" all the time so when I open it, it turns on, just not sure how to incorporate it? I'll be using a 16/3 cord, so ill have two 110v "Hot" lines if that helps.
The lid power feed is connected to the line cord before the line cord continues to the compressor and controls. If you leave the splice intact and cut the line cord closer to the compressor, you can insert your Cold relay there. The lid light will always operate when the lid opens whether the compressor is running or not...

Cheers!

Old 09-03-2014, 02:55 AM   #3
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 44

+1 what day trippr said, if those really are 12vdc on 120vac, they're not going to last very long. If it were me, I'd have have the fans running all the time. It'll help keep the temps even all the time.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:12 AM   #4
day_trippr
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbusbrewery View Post
+1 what day trippr said, if those really are 12vdc on 120vac, they're not going to last very long. If it were me, I'd have have the fans running all the time. It'll help keep the temps even all the time.
And I agree with that. My keezer fans run 24/7.
But if the lad wants switched fans, he'd best add that wall wart

Cheers!

Old 09-03-2014, 03:28 AM   #5
Hamaki
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Now I just assumed wall warts were a foregone conclusion, but you know what happens when one assumes. My question would be how much current does the freezer draw? I believe there's a 10A limit on the STC.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:54 AM   #6
day_trippr
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamaki View Post
[...] My question would be how much current does the freezer draw? I believe there's a 10A limit on the STC.
Yup, rating is 10A @120vac, and it's always a good thing to check the manufacturer plate. There are old beasts out there that may well tax the relays on that controller, but otoh/fwiw, the 13cf freezer I bought new in December is plate rated at 7.5A...

Cheers!

Old 09-03-2014, 04:08 AM   #7
Hamaki
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I suppose that if someone had a freezer that draws more than 10A on startup they could have a 120V outlet switched by the STC 1000, a wall wart plugged into that controlling a SSR of whatever amperage needed to switch the freezer on & off. Kinda like the setup for the fans.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:11 AM   #8
billybryson54
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

FWIW, my Stc-1000 had two sets of receptacles. One was the Broken-jumper outlet that is controlled by the Stc itself, the other outlet is hot at all times so I can control a stir plate on one side, and a circulation fan on the other.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:46 AM   #9
DesignatedDrinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
Most definitely NOT ready for prime time!
You have your 12VDC fans connected to the 120VAC power. Bad juju.

If you were to plug a 12VDC wall wart into either of the fan outlets shown then wire the two fans to that, you'd be in good shape.

The lid power feed is connected to the line cord before the line cord continues to the compressor and controls. If you leave the splice intact and cut the line cord closer to the compressor, you can insert your Cold relay there. The lid light will always operate when the lid opens whether the compressor is running or not...

Cheers!
My diagram annotates that the 12vdc fans are pluged into the 120VAC outlet. This will be done with 12vdc power supply spliced into the fans. I believe thats what you were saying, thats also what i am doing. Sorry if my diagram didnt show that properly.

As for cold relay.... If the compressor is plugged into the STC, and the lid feed is plugged into the same power feed, even with a cold relay, how is the light going to come on if the STC isnt sending power?

Old 09-03-2014, 09:48 AM   #10
DesignatedDrinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamaki View Post
Now I just assumed wall warts were a foregone conclusion, but you know what happens when one assumes. My question would be how much current does the freezer draw? I believe there's a 10A limit on the STC.

It draws 5A, so no worries

Quick Reply