Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Can an igloo cooler be fixed?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #11
Easily_Distracted
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

I like the idea of silicone combined with a washer to reinforce the area. Another hobby of mine is salt water reef keeping so I have some familiarity with silicone. Some like GE 100% silicone are good for sealing as long as they don't have mold inhibitors like for kitchen and bath. Others like momentive rtv 103 or 108 silicone have much better adhesion properties for structural applications. I'm going to see if I can find the data sheet for the momentive online to see what it says about temp.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 02:08 PM   #12
Easily_Distracted
Recipes 

so far I'm only seeing on the Momentive RTV108 MSDS for Thermal Decomposition:
"can generate formaldehyde at approximately 300 degrees Fahrenheit (150'C) and above, in atmospheres which contain oxygen."

I'm going to try to pick up a tube at Graingers on Monday and see what the tube says. It won't go to waste with the tinkering I do on aquariums.

Now where to get a food grade washer? Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 11-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #13
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easily_Distracted View Post
"can generate formaldehyde at approximately 300 degrees Fahrenheit (150'C) and above, in atmospheres which contain oxygen."

I'm going to try to pick up a tube at Graingers on Monday and see what the tube says. It won't go to waste with the tinkering I do on aquariums.

Northern Brewer has one here or, if you have an old silicone baking sheet like a SilPat (One here for cheap on Amazon), you could fashion one to size.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #14
Easily_Distracted
Recipes 

Thanks! I like the rigid washer for added support. Come to think of it, I may just silicone one of the two, large stainless washers that come with the bulkhead right to the inside wall to both seal the area and reinforce. I'll use the o-ring in between the washers to make the seal.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #15
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Do not use aquarium silicone . It is not food grade I think . It is safe for your fish but the heat maybe not .
There are lots of food grade silicones out there . I just bought a tube from a guy on ebay since it was a cheaper quicker thing .
Just type " food grade silicone " in google and there you are . these are good up to 500 degrees. Also Ebay sells some food grade silicone mold making kits for baking that may be useful for other projects .

Old 11-26-2012, 01:22 AM   #16
Easily_Distracted
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusKillion View Post
There are lots of food grade silicones out there . I just bought a tube from a guy on ebay since it was a cheaper quicker thing .
Just type " food grade silicone " in google and there you are . these are good up to 500 degrees.
Thanks! Will do.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #17
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Default food grade

Quote:
I like the idea of silicone combined with a washer to reinforce the area. Another hobby of mine is salt water reef keeping so I have some familiarity with silicone. Some like GE 100% silicone are good for sealing as long as they don't have mold inhibitors like for kitchen and bath. Others like momentive rtv 103 or 108 silicone have much better adhesion properties for structural applications. I'm going to see if I can find the data sheet for the momentive online to see what it says about temp.
All the food grade silicone I have looked at has a temp rating of 400 or 500 degrees and a application temp of up to 140 degrees

Old 11-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #18
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Default food grade washer

Quote:

I simply used a rubber washer from Ace . Not food grade but since it is such a small amount of rubber and not getting over 170 degrees I think it is safe enough .
If you want food grade seal then how about just putting some food grade silicone on a large washer ? If you want it to be removable then put a piece of plastic wrap over it and loosely tighten it down so the silicone will take the shape of the bucket or pot and wait for it to fully cure and then remove the plastic wrap . Now you have a food grade rubber washer .

you can get that food grade silicone at Graingers I think .

Old 11-27-2012, 01:38 AM   #19
Easily_Distracted
Recipes 

Yes. I'm thinking the silicone the washer in place route. I found the food safe silicone on line at Grainger today. I'm going to swing by tomorrow. It looks like it's good to 400 deg.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:45 AM   #20
Geoff81
Recipes 

Silicone maybe.....i know its waterproof, can handle high temps and an pretty certain its food safe. Its used in aquariums. Epoxy also can handle the high temps....just don't know if its food safe.

Quick Reply