Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Can I use this welder?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010, 10:57 PM   #11
RegionalChaos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You can convert a dc machine into a TIG with a gun and gas setup. My buddy has a bunch of stainless rod that he has been wanting to try burning. Maybe we'll play on a keg with some :P

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what...hamber-190459/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 12:39 PM   #12
Mose
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

SouthernYankee, I have followed your thread and it was part of the inspiration to dive in and maybe learn to weld some for this project.

I just did a quick review of your thread and didn't see if you used Weldless fittings or welded couplings. I'm mentally stuck on being able to weld fittings if I'm going to get into welding at all, but don't know enough yet to determine if it must be done with full out TIG, especially considering some have soldered fittings in their keggles.

I'm going to do some reading on what I can do and how. I looked on ebay last night and found a couple Mig-flux core welders for $150. Any opinions on a factory recoditioned Campbell Hausfeld Mig or Flux-core welder for $150?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Campbell-Hausfel...item5ad8147f6b

Thanks.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #13
SouthernYankee
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mose View Post
SouthernYankee, I have followed your thread and it was part of the inspiration to dive in and maybe learn to weld some for this project.

I just did a quick review of your thread and didn't see if you used Weldless fittings or welded couplings. I'm mentally stuck on being able to weld fittings if I'm going to get into welding at all, but don't know enough yet to determine if it must be done with full out TIG, especially considering some have soldered fittings in their keggles.

I'm going to do some reading on what I can do and how. I looked on ebay last night and found a couple Mig-flux core welders for $150. Any opinions on a factory recoditioned Campbell Hausfeld Mig or Flux-core welder for $150?

Thanks.
Mose,
I used weldless fittings for my keggles.
I never had the intention of trying to weld fittings onto my kegs. The welder I bought was strictly for building the brew stand itself.
I knew if I wanted to install welded fittings onto my kegs. I would let someone else do it.
Kegs around the Atlanta area are hard to come by. So this is why I went with the weldless. Which I don't have a problem with. I didn't want to try to weld some fittings in and really mess up the kegs.

You have to ask yourself how much do you really want to spend on the overall project. If the reconditioned welder is something you might consider and is in your price range. Then go for it.
Ive never used Campbell Hausfeld products..so I cant comment there.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:52 AM   #14
Mose
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I ended up with an inexpensive Flux Core welder from CL that was used about once. It was still in the original box with some of the plastic on the cables. It came with an auto darkening helmet and gloves. Not bad for 125.

I found a steel company in town that will provide the product and cut to the lengths desired at no additional charge. I think I'll practice on a set of shelves for the garage and then head to the brew stand. Probably steel some of the dimension of some of your rigs I've been eying on here.

Thanks, here's to hoping I don't hurt myself. Cheers

Old 04-02-2010, 04:11 AM   #15
sanch
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

stick welders are what real men use ( I pulled mine from an irrigation ditch) it made a nice stand

Old 04-02-2010, 07:47 PM   #16
Mose
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanch View Post
stick welders are what real men use ( I pulled mine from an irrigation ditch) it made a nice stand
Ouch...I'll start looking in more irrigation ditches. I did read an older post about using bed frames to build a stand. I'll be salvaging some of those to practice on before ordering my square tube.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:00 PM   #17
the_Roqk

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mose View Post
Ouch...I'll start looking in more irrigation ditches. I did read an older post about using bed frames to build a stand. I'll be salvaging some of those to practice on before ordering my square tube.
Funny you should say bed frame. I made my brew stand out of a combination of 1 1/2 square tubing and a bed frame. Bed frame steel works very well. Ask people you know if they have any old frames laying around. I'l bet you can score one or two easily. Or try a scrap yard. Cheers!

BTW I believe it was BobbyM that made his brew stand out of bed frames.

Last edited by the_Roqk; 04-02-2010 at 10:07 PM.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:32 PM   #18
DevilsCreekBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

We are building our 3 tier out of bed frames. Great for welding, terrible for drilling though. Chinese steel on any of the newer ones, so you can have a bit go through like butter in one spot, and then burn out without making a hole in another.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:36 PM   #19
Mose
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'll keep that in mind for drilling.

I still want to use the 2" square tube for the stand so I can run some of the electrical through the frame and keep it as clean as possible. If it's exposed I'll snag it guaranteed. I found a local supplyer that should be very reasonable.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I'll be scouring town for frames to crank up the welder. I'll post back if I actually get it somewhat close to right.

Quick Reply