Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Can I use a old watercooler to cool a keg?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
Varroa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Can I use a old watercooler to cool a keg?

Can it be done some how? I have a old watercooler that we no longer use, could I adapt it somehow to cool a keg? Maybe I could put the keg inside it somehow and wrap it with insulation and place cooling elements placed directly on the keg? Has this been done before?

Primary #1: Hoppy LAN Party DIPA (>100 IBUs)
Primary #2: Irish Red
Primary #3: Belgian Trappist Pumpkin Ale
Primary #4:
Secondary:
Bottle/Kegged: Belgium Dubbel Blonde, Centennial Honey Blonde, Throwdown Oatmeal Stout, Throwdown Milk Stout, Festabrew Czech Pilsner, Hard Sparking cider On Deck: Varroa's Wee Scottish Heavy, hard sparkling cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
MR2Aaron
Recipes 

I can imagine doing this, but I expect what you'd basically have to do is gut the water cooler, and use its refrigeration loop in mini-fridge size box. Probably easier to just start with a used mini-fridge.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:59 PM   #3
Varroa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I already have the cooler so I am going to give it a try since I have nothing to loose. I was thinking about gutting the unit, mounting the cooling coils directly on the outside of the keg, wrapping the keg and coils in that silver bubble wrap, and then attaching a new draft tap to the top front of the cooler. I may also add some insulation to the unit to help with the cooling. The co2 tank will probably have to be external (or maybe on-top where the bottle use to sit).

Primary #4:
Secondary:
Bottle/Kegged: Belgium Dubbel Blonde, Centennial Honey Blonde, Throwdown Oatmeal Stout, Throwdown Milk Stout, Festabrew Czech Pilsner, Hard Sparking cider On Deck: Varroa's Wee Scottish Heavy, hard sparkling cider

Old 11-22-2010, 05:11 PM   #4
MR2Aaron
Recipes 

That's worth a shot, I suppose. I think I'd try to go about this in a way that makes it possible to switch out the keg, though, or you'll find that cleaning it and switching beers becomes a pain in the neck.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:14 PM   #5
Varroa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I wasn't going to permanently connect the coils so that shouldn't be a problem (just going to use pressure to hold them in place, maybe a strap or something). Tomorrow night I will take the cooler apart to see how much room there is and what I have to work with, thanks.

Primary #4:
Secondary:

Old 11-22-2010, 05:21 PM   #6
Flywheel
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The only issue I see is the keg switching ability, it won't be as quick as a fridge, but it could be very cool. Take pics and document your process.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:19 PM   #7
Varroa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I plan on making it removable so it just depends on what type of cooling unit it uses. Apparently some use copper coils and some use a submersible probe. The keg jacket will be made from reflective bubble wrap either way (the type you put around a water heater).

Well my other hobby outside of brewing is computers, specifically gaming computers that are liquid cooled. If my watercooler uses a probe then I already have an idea of using a copper coil around the keg with quick disconnect tubes connected to a pump. I can then either just connect the lines directly to the existing water reservoir OR make a new reservoir filled with glycol or something and cool that instead. If my watercooler uses a copper coil for cooling then I will adapt then to make direct contact with the keg itself. I will take apart the cooler tomorrow and see what I have to work with (Pics to come as well).

Primary #4:
Secondary:

Old 11-22-2010, 08:34 PM   #8
Varroa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just pulled it apart and there is enough empty space to just fit a keg. Now the question is what type of cooling element does it use. I think this may just work if I put the taps on the top and remove the reservoir.

Primary #4:
Secondary:
jebsterr Likes This 
Old 11-22-2010, 09:14 PM   #9
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 37

where are the pics, we want pics...

-=Jason=-

Old 11-22-2010, 09:25 PM   #10