Can I mount my controller inside keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanepaynter

Reaction score
I am going to be keeping my keezer in my unheated garage. It gets cold in MA in the winter and the budget controller I want to get has an operating temp of 0-60*c. Like the title says, can I keep the controller in the keezer? Does there need to be a differential for it to work or does it just sense temp and act accordingly? Am I stupid?:confused:

No, I would not put that inside the cooler. Every time you open the door, you will be letting humid air in. The moisture will condense inside the controller, not good.

The biggest concern you will have is how fast will the temperature be changing inside your keezer? If it's ice cold and then warms up too quickly moisture will condense on your electronic equipment and could potentially cause damage. Honestly though if you don't operate within the suggested ratings then you're increasing the possibility that your controller doesn't perform according to standard.

I will be making a keezer so the opening/closing of the door will only be an issue when changing keg. Also I was thinking about making a mounting box or enclousure for it. My main concern is keeping it above 0*c and knowing if it will work correctly if its in the same environment that it is controlling.

The controller would probably work just fine at colder temps, not sure why it would have a 0 C bottom end. As far as working correctly in the same environment it's controlling, that's certainly not a problem. Just remember that if it's mounted on one of the inside walls of the freezer, it's likely to get a LOT colder than freezing - like below zero F - when the compressor is running.

I would like to just re-iterate that if you use an appliance outside its recommended operating ranges, don't be discouraged or surprised when it doesn't work right.

Just remember that if it's mounted on one of the inside walls of the freezer, it's likely to get a LOT colder than freezing - like below zero F - when the compressor is running.

I was planning to make an enclosure but didn't think of this. I'll use some insulation to keep it from direct contact to wall.

Nintendo- This is exactly why I want to keep in the keezer, where I know it'll be approx 40*f. Also its dual stage so there will be a light bulb for heat in the winter.

Cool, yeah mounting it in the keezer might not be a bad idea if you can solve the threat of condensation. I was giving you that advise so you didn't mount it in your unheated garage. The lower you mount it the less threat of condensation but then again you also have a greater threat of splashes of beer. Maybe just go armed with a hair dryer when you change kegs then if you notice condensation you can just turn it on and let her rip.

I mounted one of those right in the collar of my keezer. I'm really not that concerned about it, but we'll see how it does long term.

I am going to be keeping my keezer in my unheated garage. It gets cold in MA in the winter and the budget controller I want to get has an operating temp of 0-60*c. Like the title says, can I keep the controller in the keezer? Does there need to be a differential for it to work or does it just sense temp and act accordingly? Am I stupid?:confused:

You should have no problem mounting this the keezer. Your keezer is going to be well within the temp range, and any moisture that gets in when you change kegs is going to condense on your kegs and not the temp controller. No worries.

I mounted one of those right in the collar of my keezer. I'm really not that concerned about it, but we'll see how it does long term.

Mine has been in use for about a year not one problem.

The electronics are inside the kegerator

kegerator41.jpg

I think I'll pull the trigger and buy it. For about $30 shipped if it last the summer I'll be happy.

Back