New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > CAD files of kegs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2011, 04:19 AM   #1
DarkBrood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default CAD files of kegs?

I'm in the process of designing a keg conversion to electric kettle and am still sourcing my keg. I'd like to proceed with design and am really hoping to find an accurate CAD model or diagram of a keg. Ideally a half-barrel 15.5gal keg. I'll be working in AutoCAD, but I'm an old hand at engineering design and can convert from just about any format if it's accurate.

Can anyone out there hook me up with a CAD file or link?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

If you go "slumming" and download Google's sketchup, you'll find a few accurate models of kegs in the online database.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 06-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
DarkBrood
Recipes 

Anyone have anything for REAL software? I'm talking AutoCAD, 3D Studio, SolidWorks, Rhinoceros, MicroStation, etc.? I find it hard to believe that with all of the manufacturers out there, no one has released an accurate pro-quality file!

Sketchup files don't convert cleanly - there are often hard-to-spot distortions.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4526 Times on 4246 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I find it hard to believe that someone familiar with AutoCAD, 3D Studio, SolidWorks, Rhinocerous, and (GOD forbid) MicroStation has a hang-up with "hard to spot distortions" in a file conversion for something as simple as a Cornelius Keg.

Perhaps you might contact IMI Cornelius and ask if they have a file they could provide.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:51 PM   #5
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Personally I consider "real" CAD software to be more along the lines of CATIA, Pro/Engineer, or NX. AutoCAD and the like are the second tier products.

But I don't have any keg designs in those, either.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #6
DarkBrood
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
Personally I consider "real" CAD software to be more along the lines of CATIA, Pro/Engineer, or NX. AutoCAD and the like are the second tier products.

But I don't have any keg designs in those, either.
Heh..okay, fair enough - differences in interpretation. I use the terms "real" and "pro" to refer to programs that are actually standard tools in real-world design. Not quite sure why now that I think about it, but with all the SketchUp fans here, I figured talking (what I refer to as) top-tier applications would just get blank stares...

I suppose that I should have been more specific: I'm looking for a SANKE keg model, not a Corny (planning a 15gal electric brew kettle). I did take a look through the model database for SketchUp as suggested above....downloaded a whole pile of files, and very few with any real details or measurements......and not one made any reference to a data source for their models. I'm a professional design engineer - and I'm working on a big design (on the order of the size of theelectricbrewery.com) with some innovative gadgets. If I'm going to order custom parts for manufacturing, I'd really like to have an accurate model without having to chop up a whole keg with a sawzall to get decent interior measurements!
FERMENTING: Black Imp
SOUR PROGRAM: Misterioux Ayahel, Ommedubbel, Pucker Knight, Lambicus Minimus

Old 06-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
jdbright79
Recipes 

http://www.3dcontentcentral.com/

Search for "keg". These will be Solidworks native files so convert if necessary. You may have to register to download but its worth it.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:16 PM   #8
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a few models in SW that I can post when I get home tonight. They are more accurate than those I have downloaded/converted in the past. Keep in mind that there are several different manufacturers of sanke kegs and they will all vary slightly from on another. If you are really worried about milimeters it would be best to measure the keg(s) you have.

What program and version do you use? I might need to convert to igis or step first.

Primaries: Air
Secondaries: Lakefront India Brown Ale

On Tap 1: Rootbeer, On Tap 2: NB White ouse Honey Ale, On Tap 3: Nitrogen, On Tap 4: Air, On Tap 5: Air
On Deck: DIPA, Imp Stout, Porter, Wheat, Black IPA

"No sense having empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. " - Me

Old 06-03-2011, 05:47 PM   #9
DarkBrood
Recipes 

SolidWorks is just fine with me. I have access to just about anything through one office or another.

I don't need every little measurement in millimeters, but if the interior can reflect the proper diameter and curve radii, I can run analysis on the thermodynamics of the moving fluids (the curve, especially at the bottom, will have an impact on circulation, aeration, and drainage).

I realize that it's probably an unrealistic wish without wrangling models directly from the manufacturer, but accurate models of the tap would assist in my modifications. Of course, I won't know which design I'll have until I buy a few kegs to work on...

FERMENTING: Black Imp
SOUR PROGRAM: Misterioux Ayahel, Ommedubbel, Pucker Knight, Lambicus Minimus

Old 06-03-2011, 11:25 PM   #10
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBrood View Post
I don't need every little measurement in millimeters, but if the interior can reflect the proper diameter and curve radii, I can run analysis on the thermodynamics of the moving fluids (the curve, especially at the bottom, will have an impact on circulation, aeration, and drainage).

I realize that it's probably an unrealistic wish without wrangling models directly from the manufacturer, but accurate models of the tap would assist in my modifications. Of course, I won't know which design I'll have until I buy a few kegs to work on...
Here are the two models I have:

1. Half Barrel Keg.SLDPRT (2010)

Detailed tap (no spring valve or stem) and handles. No holes in the skirts.

2. Keg Shell.SLDPRT (2010)

Closer sidewall dimensions to my three kegs but no detail in the tap section. Also no handles or holes in the skirts.

The bottom of these are not 100% accurate as all three of my kegs actually have a flat spot of about 5-6" diameter that I did not work into the model. The rest of the details are fairly accurate.

PM me or let me know if you want any other models, I have a ton built up over the past couple years for my brewery planning.

Primaries: Air
Secondaries: Lakefront India Brown Ale

On Tap 1: Rootbeer, On Tap 2: NB White ouse Honey Ale, On Tap 3: Nitrogen, On Tap 4: Air, On Tap 5: Air
On Deck: DIPA, Imp Stout, Porter, Wheat, Black IPA

"No sense having empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. " - Me

Quick Reply