Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > BYO Double Pipe Wort Chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
erikrocks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default BYO Double Pipe Wort Chiller

This article is in the current issue of BYO, but goes more in depth on the website. Has anyone built one of these? I like the idea for a few reasons:
1.) It's DIY
2.) It looks much easier to clean than my Blichmann Therminator
3.) It's easily modifiable: You can add piping (surface area) to fit your needs

I'm wondering how it would compare with the THerminator. Anyone have any experience?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1131 Times on 840 Posts
Likes Given: 549

Looks like a pretty cool idea. I like the idea of having a wall mounted chiller. I may even consider making one, but I would make one small change if so. I would make the connectors for the T's uneven so that it zig zags rather than goes straight across to aid in drainage. Seems to me that it would be easier to clean and dry that way. I do like the idea of hard piping for the wort, but would the thicker tubing walls insulate the wort much?

I think the best efficiency changer would be to find narrower internal wort piping for more surface area. and since the internal copper pipe is 1/2-inch ID copper tube type M (5/8-inch OD) tubing that is closer to that which most IC's are constructed out of would provide more cooling. I am going to ponder on this or a modified version to see if it can be improved on.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
brewmcq
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 498 Times on 343 Posts
Likes Given: 2707

That is a very cool-looking idea, but for my money, I'm going to invest in a plate chiller. Much more effective and smaller... plus, it seems to me that unless you have these materials kicking around that it would cost as much, if not more, than a commercially-produced chiller with a good track record.

Cheers for the find!

What do YOU want out of this hobby? It's your hobby. Do it the way YOU want to do it. Don't depend on the rest of us to tell you how to do it.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #4
Spartan1979
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 106

I saw this and was intrigued by it. When I redo my brewery, I may consider this option.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 535 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I really don't know if this setup is better than a much more compact coiled counterflow chiller. The only advantage it has is that it can be brushed out, but the question is, do coiled CFC's really need to be brushed out, ever?

Old 08-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
Wolfbayne

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I read the article and have been drawing ideas to make a wall mounted version with some tweaks. I like the idea of being able to break it down to brush clean. I currently used a plate chiller and I always have the little wonder in my mind if its totally clean or not. Even after boiling and sanitizing, you could still have something left in there.

Does anyone break down their equipment after each brew and see what is actually in any threaded pieces? There is always something there. I break down everything after every brew to specific components. Looks like a garage sell of brew parts, but its clean!

I havent seen any youtube videos on this either...wonder if it was just an idea or if its is actually being used? It has potentional, but even in BYO it shows it setting there not hooked up to anything, but a very descriptive equation on how it should work.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #7
JJL
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It is an interesting idea, but I don't see this being an improvement over what is commercially available unless you're doing large batch brewing. And even then, I would think if I was doing 15+ gal batches, I'd probably look into a glycol set up before building something like this.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
erikrocks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfbayne View Post
I read the article and have been drawing ideas to make a wall mounted version with some tweaks. I like the idea of being able to break it down to brush clean. I currently used a plate chiller and I always have the little wonder in my mind if its totally clean or not. Even after boiling and sanitizing, you could still have something left in there.

Does anyone break down their equipment after each brew and see what is actually in any threaded pieces? There is always something there. I break down everything after every brew to specific components. Looks like a garage sell of brew parts, but its clean!

I havent seen any youtube videos on this either...wonder if it was just an idea or if its is actually being used? It has potentional, but even in BYO it shows it setting there not hooked up to anything, but a very descriptive equation on how it should work.
This is why I'm intrigued by this. No matter how long a recirculate hot PBW and flush with water, there's always a load of crap in my plate chiller. I've resigned myself to baking it before each brewday, which just seems like a big hassle.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:12 AM   #9
cpatel479

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Anyone know where to get the plastic compression fittings? Went to HD and they didn't have any. Been looking online with no luck either

Old 08-31-2013, 10:51 PM   #10
chopilot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

US Plastics has the compression fittings.

This was my weekend brewery project. It went together pretty well. The only issue I had was that the compression fittings have to be drilled out to fit the 5/8 OD. I haven't done a heat test but it was pretty water tight- just a few drips from one or two of the compression fittings.

Quick Reply