Burners For a HERMs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_d_

Reaction score
Okay,

This burner stuff is complicated, and I really don't want to blow my house up.
Could someone take a look at this and let me know what I'm missing here.
All I have at this point is a SS stand, and I have no idea how I'm going to mount this stuff.. I'm planning on running the system using a Propane BBQ Tank.

As I'm building a HERMS, I only need two burners.

I'm thinking these guys here:

http://www.agrisupply.com/bg-high-pressure-cast-iron-burner-/p/64494/cn/6000138/

I was thinking of using these high pressure regulators to control the flame:
http://www.agrisupply.com/high-pressure-regulator-/p/36292/cn/6000139/

is it really that easy?

Thanks in Advance. This Board Rocks!

Those are great burners. If you plan on automating you might consider going low pressure instead of high pressure, since it's often cheaper to automate. Those burners can be used for either with the proper size orifice, but the regulator is high pressure only.

thanks for your response, do I need any other parts besides the burners, regulators, and hoses?

Those are the burners I use...... I have them automated. Works Great.

I would sugest getting the hard line orphice lines

Those are the burners I use. With that price they may not be including the orifice that fits in the end and attaches to the gas line. 40 bucks is the usual price. That regulator may not be the right one. I use a 0-30psi. Most guys say that the high pressure burner (use with a propane bottle) takes 20 psi. I tend to agree but have no gauge to see the pressure going in. I just crank in some turns until I get a blue flame about 1.5 inches tall.
snake10

gas2.jpg

With that price they may not be including the orifice that fits in the end and attaches to the gas line. 40 bucks is the usual price.

I think a high pressure orifice is included. Agrisupply is known for gouging on shipping to make up for their seemingly low prices.

Thanks,

Its 2 years old and still in top condition. It brews so efficiently its sic. 4.5 hours or a little less from start to cleanup on a 60 minute boil. Not much to do except watch it work and move a couple of hoses.

The gas system is really simple. 1/2 gas pipe from lowes, yellow flex hose (for a dryer), 4 gas ball valves, 2- 1/2 air/gas solenoid valves, some gas pipe tees, and some yellow teflon tape. Solenoids connected to control box and are 110volt. Oh, homemade standing pilots using 1/4 inch flared fittings with a drilled end cap.
I was initially perplexed on a gas setup. Now I have my own go by. I'm used to my setup now and feel comfortable with the pilots and adjusting the flames on initial startup. I'm gathering material for another build as we speak and I'm still not sold on the bulkiness of the Honeywell setup. If I had a BCS then I would go that route.
A question for Blaze:
Why hard line orifice lines?

I think a high pressure orifice is included. Agrisupply is known for gouging on shipping to make up for their seemingly low prices.

I just purchased 3 from Agrisupply. I wouldn't go so far as to say they gouge on shipping but they charged me $10 a burner because of the weight.....these things are damn heavy. Great customer service from them.

With these burners you will have to put a 0-30 psi adjustable regulator on them to get a good flame. Unless your current regulator pushes about 20 psi.
Snake10

I just purchased 3 from Agrisupply. I wouldn't go so far as to say they gouge on shipping but they charged me $10 a burner because of the weight.....these things are damn heavy. Great customer service from them.

Good to know. I almost bought some SP-10 style burners from them because of the cheap unit price, but when I got to check-out the shipping costs seemed excessive. When I compared the total shipped price with two other vendors they were both cheaper than agrisupply. I have read similar stories on here as well.

With these burners you will have to put a 0-30 psi adjustable regulator on them to get a good flame. Unless your current regulator pushes about 20 psi.
Snake10

Or a 0.5 psi regulator with a larger orifice.

Latest posts

Back