Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Burners for a Brutus?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #1
RonRock
Always Ready
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Burners for a Brutus?

What is the consensus on burners? I've read about Low Pressure, High Pressure and different variations of "Tip" burners.

I'll be using LPG, with a standing Pilot. At least to begin with, may go to electric ignition if i scrounge up the parts.

I'm leaning toward the Hurricane Burner with adjustable regulator. But looking for any better suggestions. One concern I have is that I live in a very windy area.

Any better ideas?

7564d.jpg   bc7850_propane_regulator.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
azredneck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

When you finally make a decision on which burner to buy, check out these guys: Agri Supply - Farm Supplies, Tools, Lawn Mower Blades, Cast Iron Cookware . Their burners are really really cheap. For example Norther Brewer wants $25.99 for a standard burner and these guys want $7.99. I am sure they are both made by the same Chinese children and have the same performance. Enjoy

Old 04-27-2009, 03:52 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1012 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Agri has what looks like the Hurricane for $36. I'm highly skeptical of the $7.99 burner and the claim that it's 170,000 btu.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-27-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
RonRock
Always Ready

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

This one?
BG-14 HIGH PRESSURE CAST IRON BURNER

High Pressure mean 30 psi? Or would the adjustable regulator be a better choice? Looks like a good price.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:43 PM   #5
MSUConrad
Recipes 

I used the 30PSI banjo burner on mine. I also found that if you are using a pilot safety valve, then compression fittings do NOT work well with 30 PSI (keep leaking). So I took those off and went with the orginal Brutus design.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:01 PM   #6
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRock View Post
What is the consensus on burners? I've read about Low Pressure, High Pressure and different variations of "Tip" burners.

I'll be using LPG, with a standing Pilot. At least to begin with, may go to electric ignition if i scrounge up the parts.

I'm leaning toward the Hurricane Burner with adjustable regulator. But looking for any better suggestions. One concern I have is that I live in a very windy area.

Any better ideas?
You may want to use a low pressure regulator with a 6 inch ring burner for your MLT if you are direct firing it. It will give you precise low level control and that's important. I would also pick a 6 inch ring burner for the HLT and the BK, but they would be high pressure units for better wide open performance. These burners are cheap and so are the regulators.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:46 PM   #7
Snake10
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Banjo burners are fine. I have three on my Brutus Ten and they work awesome. I have Kegs which can handle the heat better than thin walled pots. So far I only have 3 brews under my belt and all is fine. I have exactly what you pictured above. the 0-30 red regulator will work fine, it just needs adjusting for the brew. Once you get it dialed to the good pressure you will see the flame grow or shrink. Set it to what you want and brew your A-- off. You will love those burners, they are quiet! do a search and find a place that has free shipping. Mine cost 40 each. here are some pics.
Snake10
Bigheart Brewery

bh2.jpg   bh7.jpg   burner1.jpg   burner2.jpg   bh.jpg  

Old 04-29-2009, 03:05 PM   #8
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I am going to be using a hurricane under my HLT, a superb under the MLT, and a hurricane under the BK. I will be rigging all with low pressure propane because it makes automation way easier. Pilot setups made for high pressure propane are both expensive and hard to come by (at least in my research).

I think the Banjo is really nice, but more than I need. I will take an extra 5 minutes to get to boil and it doesn't bother me.

Any feedback on any of this would be much appreciated. If the Hurricane on low pro will not get it done please let me know.

NOTE: I am using the superb burner under the mash tun because you can dial it WAY back and it works really well for direct fired mash steps without denaturing the mash.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:10 PM   #9
RonRock
Always Ready

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I've not heard of a Soperb Burner. Where can I find an example?

Getting some good help here, thanks guys.

http://www.lonewolfbrewery.com/

Old 04-30-2009, 09:06 PM   #10
gruversm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had to recently change my "hurricane" burner to a regular 4" high pressure burner as it was such a gas hog. Additionally, that burner was very hard to control.

On Tap:
Horehound Tripel,Gumballhead,Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone, Hefeweizen

Quick Reply