Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Burner from old water heater - salvageable?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2006, 02:00 PM   #1
sonvolt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Default Burner from old water heater - salvageable?

Last night, I replaced my water heater. When finished, I looked at it and thought, "I wonder if I could somehow salvage the burner out of that thing." I also remembered that I have a natural gas hookup on my backporch that was initially used for a grill.

Anyone ever tried to take the burner out of a water heater?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2006, 02:05 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 125 Posts

I don't have any links, but I've seen several threads about making a kettle out of an old water heater.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-04-2006, 02:19 PM   #3
sonvolt
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
I don't have any links, but I've seen several threads about making a kettle out of an old water heater.

Even better . . . links, anyone?

Old 12-04-2006, 02:37 PM   #4
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I made one, well, a friend of mine did and gave it to me. Works GREAT. I just got a digital camera recently and when I figure out how to post a picture, I'll post it. It's pretty crude. Take the gas line coming off the burner, not the regulator because they are usually designed for natural gas and have very low psi operating pressure, propane is a lot higher. Rig up a hose from the gas line coming from the burner to the propane tank regulator. You have to have a way to adjust the pressure, either from the propane tank itself or put in an adjustable valve on the line. What my friend did was take an old 16 inch wheel and weld the hole burner assembly to it. Made a grate out of rebar to lay on top of the wheel. Crude, but effective and didn't cost me squat. Also, this thing is heavy duty. He built it to boil a 55 gallon drum of water for plucking chickens. Country boy ingenuity at its finest!

Old 12-04-2006, 02:53 PM   #5
sonvolt
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Grog, I would love to see those pics.

I don't necessarily wish to convert the thing for propane, however. Would I get enough heat from a natrual gas burner to get 6-7 gals of water boiling? I have a natural gas hookup on my back patio.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:05 PM   #6
Adrian Abascal
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Grog
I made one, well, a friend of mine did and gave it to me. Works GREAT. I just got a digital camera recently and when I figure out how to post a picture, I'll post it. It's pretty crude. Take the gas line coming off the burner, not the regulator because they are usually designed for natural gas and have very low psi operating pressure, propane is a lot higher. Rig up a hose from the gas line coming from the burner to the propane tank regulator. You have to have a way to adjust the pressure, either from the propane tank itself or put in an adjustable valve on the line. What my friend did was take an old 16 inch wheel and weld the hole burner assembly to it. Made a grate out of rebar to lay on top of the wheel. Crude, but effective and didn't cost me squat. Also, this thing is heavy duty. He built it to boil a 55 gallon drum of water for plucking chickens. Country boy ingenuity at its finest!
That is awesome.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:42 PM   #7
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, if it's a normal size hot water heater already geared for natural gas, it should work great. It's already heating up 20 to 30 gallons. One thing on the natural gas line already there. You'll have to get a hose bib connection unless your going to "hot wire" it in. The problem is that you got to seperate operating pressures from natural gas to propane. In a lot of systems, there is a oriface that limits the amount of gas coming in to the system. Propane will have smaller ones since it's under higher pressure than a natural gas one. Try hooking up your propane grill to a natural gas line...won't work. All those mechanisms are located within the regulator on a gas hot water heater, your just bypassing it. It's not rocket science. Just have a way to control the pressure either on the tank itself or on the line going to the burner. Also, this type of setup doesn't give you that aerospace-Saturn V-rocket motor sound. It's quite.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:53 PM   #8
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This forum never stops amazing me with the ideas put forth here. Awesome!

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 12-04-2006, 09:09 PM   #9
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Pics, man pics.... A write up... this is friggin great.

Also, we all need the much required, how do we sabatoge our water heaters to make them not work while SWMBO is in the shower AND still make them usable for this purpose?

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 12-04-2006, 10:17 PM   #10
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo
Pics, man pics.... A write up... this is friggin great.

Also, we all need the much required, how do we sabatoge our water heaters to make them not work while SWMBO is in the shower AND still make them usable for this purpose?

Hmmm my water heater is 80 gallons . Oh wait it's electric. Damn, Sam!

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Quick Reply