Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Burner to kettle distance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
Countrybrewin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Burner to kettle distance

What experience can anyone share about burner to kettle distance? The pictures I see are all different and I know there is a right and wrong. I will be using a Banjo burner and keggles. Anything helps.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 11:10 PM   #2
michur
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Trial & error. I am using the KAB6 with a keggle and it was taking forever to heat up. I searched this site and they suggested moving the burner up 2". This makes the distance from the fame to the bottom of the keggle approx 2.5". Since I just got a welder from my uncle, my dad and I had to try it out. We moved it up and it seems to be working much better.

If you don't have access to a welder or don't want to tear it apart you can make a wind/heat shield. Someone just posted a pic of theirs not too long ago.

"What is it with this chick? She have beer flavored nipples?"

Old 01-12-2011, 11:23 PM   #3
Countrybrewin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Welding is not a problem, I was just hoping to measure twice and cut once. The banjo burner has screws on the sides so maybe I can put slots on the sides and adjust the distance to see whats best.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:02 AM   #4
michur
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrybrewin View Post
The banjo burner has screws on the sides so maybe I can put slots on the sides and adjust the distance to see whats best.
Never thought of that. But wouldn't you lose any protection from the wind if the burner is up too high above the skirt?

Old 01-13-2011, 12:53 AM   #5
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I'm amazed when I see posts complaining that the KAB6 is slow to bring a kettle to a boil or that the burner is positioned too far from the kettle bottom. I used one this past weekend to boil 32 gallons+ in a SS 55 gallon drum with no problems at all. Had power to spare and it was completely off the shelf stock.

This is the burner I used: http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/kab...urner-plus.htm

Is this the burner in question? It puts out a huge amount of heat. I cannot imagine needing anything with more power and the burner height was not an issue at all.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:05 AM   #6
Dwain
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Countrybrewin,
Here's some info from another thread:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/10-banjo-burner-111177/

Old 01-13-2011, 03:42 PM   #7
michur
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
I'm amazed when I see posts complaining that the KAB6 is slow to bring a kettle to a boil or that the burner is positioned too far from the kettle bottom. I used one this past weekend to boil 32 gallons+ in a SS 55 gallon drum with no problems at all. Had power to spare and it was completely off the shelf stock.

This is the burner I used: http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/kab...urner-plus.htm

Is this the burner in question? It puts out a huge amount of heat. I cannot imagine needing anything with more power and the burner height was not an issue at all.
That's the one I have. Are you using the 30 psi regulator? If i turn it up past 1/4 of a turn I just get a flame out. Anything I can do to cut down time on brew day is a plus.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #8
Catt22
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michur View Post
That's the one I have. Are you using the 30 psi regulator? If i turn it up past 1/4 of a turn I just get a flame out. Anything I can do to cut down time on brew day is a plus.
Yes, it's the stock regulator with the green connector knob. We did manage to freeze up a 20 lb propane tank running it at a fairly high flame level. This required us to switch tanks about half way through the boil. The tank that froze up was full at the start. What happens is that the propane remaining in the tank gets so cold that it's vapor pressure drops to a point where it cannot change phase (liquid to gas) fast enough to keep up with the demand of the burner. Switching tanks out got us through to the end of the boil OK. We were running wide open throttle for most of the boil IIRC. Might have backed it off some once we got to a full hard boil. This was a pilsener, so a strong boil for 90 minutes was desirable. The Banjo got the job done with ease. It did, however, suck down quite a bit of fuel in the process.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:20 PM   #9
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Old 01-13-2011, 04:32 PM   #10
Catt22
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I've never seen a burner flame that looked like that. Perhaps that's the Disney version or something. A common propane torch flame is what it should generally look like.

Quick Reply