Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Building permits for a dedicated brewing room - hints?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2012, 03:26 AM   #11
mjmac85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

For the hood just say you don't want smells traveling up into the house. You want to make sure it is all vented.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 03:29 AM   #12
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 505 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Tell them you're making big pots of soup and you're planning on going commercial with it later.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:49 AM   #13
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 206 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 6

So far many people are saying that I should be skirting the issue about making beer. Why? What's wrong with telling them it's for making beer for personal home consumption? It's certainly not illegal where I'm from.

Why would they care whether I'm boiling pasta or boiling wort?

Kal

Old 03-28-2012, 03:55 AM   #14
voltin
Beholden to the Yeast
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post
So far many people are saying that I should be skirting the issue about making beer. Why? What's wrong with telling them it's for making beer for personal home consumption? It's certainly not illegal where I'm from.

Why would they care whether I'm boiling pasta or boiling wort?

Kal
I would be straight and upfront about it. I don't know what legal reason an inspector would have for holding up a home brewery in the basement, unless your local government does not allow basement kitchens. I misread your post as to mean that you were looking the explain away a brewery.

On Deck: Motor Oil Barleywine, Cider Trials, Vanilla Cream Ale, California Blonde
Primary: Cotton Blossom Traditional Mead, 1744 Porter (Ale-ian Society Club Brew), Old Ale
Secondary: Peach Wine, Cranberry Cider
Kegged: Christmas Ale, YHC English Summer Ale
On Tap: Nothing :(
Bottled: Yup still nothing...

Old 03-28-2012, 03:57 AM   #15
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Wow... Kal, I can not wait to see this thing in progress as well as finished. You no not know the meaning of "half-a$$" Look forward to some really innovative ideas flying off the pages of this thread.
As far as skirting the issue... It is always easier to just tell the truth. Who cares what you are cooking... as long as it isn't illegal the inspector has NO RIGHT to care or cause a fuss over it. I do think a brewery is just a glorified kitchen though.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:02 AM   #16
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Brewery brings to mind, for those that don't brew, large scale professional brewery. Though there are endless sizes of operations whether pro or home brewer but for those not in the mix their mind generally wanders toward big pro operations.

Why jump through hoops if you don't have to?

just the thoughts of someone whose 'brewery' has been accused of meth making from some uninformed yahoo driving down the road in front of the house.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:06 AM   #17
SirBC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I don't think the inspector is going to care what you are using the room for as much as if everything is installed properly. I'd bet they will not ask you a single question as to the purpose of all installed items. But if they do, it won't hurt to keep the explanation as "neutral" as possible, because at the end of the day they are the ones that can cause you a lot of grief if they are having a bad afternoon. So if they ask, keep the explanation neutral; "My wife gave me approval for this little project but I had to guarantee her that no smells would make it to the upstairs". Done.

When I did a build-out of my new office, I wanted a private bathroom in my personal office. According to code, it had to be a handicap accessible restroom, which I didn't have close to the amount of space for. So my architect showed it as a "utility closet" on the plans. My contractor just stubbed everything out for the inspection, I passed inspection, and then my contractor came back and installed the toilet/sink afterwards. Obviously, the inspector knew there was no way I was putting a damn utility closet in my carpeted private office, but if it's up to code for the inspection what are they going to say? He didn't ask, but if he did, I would have looked him in the eye and said, "my architect said that's the best place for it", shrugged my shoulders, and smiled. Done.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #18
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 206 Times on 140 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I've heard that what passes and doesn't is open to debate. The code is "loose" enough from my understanding that it can come down to interpretation by the inspector.

For example, there's a couple of local inspectors that (I'm told) do not allow spray foam insulation to be used in basements - ever. I have no idea of the reasons. Other inspectors are fine with it. That to me makes absolutely no sense. It either is allowed or isn't. (FWIW I want to use spray foam, at least in the rim joists... it just irks me that I'm willing to pay the city thousands of dollars for permitting to do things the right way, only to possibly have to in the end tell them "I don't care if you don't pass me Mr. Inspector ... I'm leaving it how it is").

Kal

Old 03-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #19
jIM_Ohio
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewingmeister View Post
you are building a kitchen...not a brewery. a kitchen gets you water/waste, electric/gas and ventilation. everything you need for your permits or inspections. then the details of how you do it are up to you and your contractor.
Excellent point.

Beer #1 Is a Hefeweizen, bottled around 3/16
Beer #2 Is a Belgian Wheat, bottled around 3/23
Beer #3 Is a different Belgian Wheat, in secondary on 3/23
Beer #4 is a Dunkel brewed on 3/26
Beer #5 will be a Hefe (different recipe)
Beer #6 will be a Hefe which is a gift for my aunt's 50th birthday in June

Old 03-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #20
RichH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Personally, if you can't see the remodeling activity from the street I would not be pulling a permit. The Gov't doesn't need to know everything I'm doing, especially when they apply the rules differently depending on the inspector.

(I wish I had a basement!!)

Who wants an Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!

Quick Reply