New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Building permits for a dedicated brewing room - hints?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 02:32 AM   #1
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 177 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Building permits for a dedicated brewing room - hints?

Hi everyone!

I'm close to starting construction on finishing my basement that (among other things) will include a dedicated brewing room. We will be paying/pulling permits on all the work done. I'm am looking for hints from anyone who's gone through the process of registering and permitting their home brewery build correctly.

My contractor doing my basement has concerns that it will appear a bit 'odd' to declare that we're building a brewery even if it's for home use. I'm told that some local inspectors like to get their panties in a knot over silly things. A brewery will send them over the edge I imagine.

My basement brewery will have a large vent hood with exhaust to the outside, a make-up air system, and a 30-50A electrical outlet to power the setup. In a way a lot like a small basement kitchen.

While every state/province will be different, I'm looking for general lessons learned and plan on being 100% honest about what I'm doing.

How did you explain what you are doing to inspectors in a way they understand and don't cause issues? Any tips?

Any thoughts/opinions welcome. If you're from Ontario Canada (my building code) then even better!

Kal

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 02:38 AM   #2
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Since your from Canada, just tell them you make maple syrup down there. I'm sure that's super common and they wouldnt have a second thought about it.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:45 AM   #3
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 2

you are building a kitchen...not a brewery. a kitchen gets you water/waste, electric/gas and ventilation. everything you need for your permits or inspections. then the details of how you do it are up to you and your contractor.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:45 AM   #4
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRems View Post
Since your from Canada, just tell them you make maple syrup down there. I'm sure that's super common and they wouldnt have a second thought about it.
Got it!

"Nothing to see here Mr. Inspector. We're just makin' back bacon, maple syrup, and tuques for our beavers!"

Kal

Old 03-28-2012, 02:51 AM   #5
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewingmeister View Post
you are building a kitchen...not a brewery. a kitchen gets you water/waste, electric/gas and ventilation. everything you need for your permits or inspections. then the details of how you do it are up to you and your contractor.
Makes sense.

Contractor's worried that seeing the giant vent hood installed at final inspection's going to make them wonder what's going on. It's not really a standard kitchen.

They're basically going to see this:

For initial permitting it makes sense of course, but we have multiple steps of inspection here. They want to make sure you're building what you say you're building.

Kal

Old 03-28-2012, 02:59 AM   #6
bdcurwin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I agree. It's a kitchen. It shouldn't matter that you over engineered it. Tell the inspector that you are worried about mold and IAQ issues with a kitchen in the basement. And it shouldn't matter the purpose of the kitchen.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:59 AM   #7
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 116 Posts

I know you are all elec but I mention gas because maybe you would like a gas fireplace to watch while you brew.

also if you add a gas line, show a pic of a big commercial range that's 'on order' and mention you like to do big lobster boils it seems necessary.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:02 AM   #8
wrench
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Start generic with "kitchen". If they want more details, I agree with the maple syrup line. You need to boil that sap for hours to get something like a 40:1 reduction in volume, so a huge vent/hood wouldn't raise any eyebrows.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:09 AM   #9
Islandboy85
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Do building inspectors take bribes? Make him some beer and tell him to sign off the paperwork.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:14 AM   #10
voltin
Beholden to the Yeast
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

In reality all a brewery is a kitchen. You are making a "Barley Stock". I would be surprised if the inspector made a big stink about it.

I know that the when we had an inspector "inspect" our new patio, he pushed up on the ceiling joist and past it.

On Deck: Motor Oil Barleywine, Cider Trials, Vanilla Cream Ale, California Blonde
Primary: Christmas Ale, Cranberry Cider, Cotton Blossom Traditional Mead
Secondary: Peach Wine
On Tap: Nothing :(
Bottled: Yup still nothing...

Quick Reply