Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Building my Two Cooler All Grain Brewery

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2012, 02:38 AM   #31
freedombrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For the record, I have to say Loctite 567 is some pretty good stuff. I put it on the threads I mangled and was able to rescue the parts. You can see from the pictures that it's not screwed in as far as the rest of the fittings, but as long as it doesn't leak I'm a happy guy.

I put together all of the fittings tonight and I'm just waiting on the tubing to test it out. Trying to have it ready to brew by May 6th. We're planning on doing a 15 gal batch of cream ale to get summer started.

Here are some pics to show the difference with and without the Loctite on my fittings. Also my HLT and MLT along with the ALE shelves!

p1060033.jpg   p1060034.jpg   p1060036.jpg   p1060032.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 01:57 AM   #32
freedombrew

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default First Brew

Brewed on the new setup for the first time today. I didn't think about it before the weekend that we would be brewing the day after National Homebrew Day. Nice.

Took a lot longer than I expected, mostly because the process and equipment were new. That and we'd never done 15 gallons before.

Here's a picture of the switch I wired for the pump. You can also see the clamp I added to the shelving to make it easier to carry around. The wire shelves just sit on a plastic fitting with gravity to hold them on. The clamp keeps everything in place while we move it to the backyard.

Also note the super-cool cardboard box splash guard! I think that's the last piece I'm missing to finish this build. Still trying to figure out what I'm going to do for that.

Another unexpected bonus... the shelves made a nice lid holder.

Last one shows recirculating the mash before lautering.

p1060037.jpg   p1060044.jpg   p1060040.jpg  

Old 06-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #33
freedombrew

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Finished...

Finally put the splash guard on. I used an empty jug that had washer fluid in it before. It was about the right size and easy to cut, but a little flimsy. We'll see how long it survives before I decide to try something more substantial.

Final cost ended up around $1250. I was surprised how much the little things added up, and I could have saved a lot by skipping the stainless in places, but I'm happy with the result.

Now I just have to get a few more brews under my belt to work out the differences in our process. Homework... sweet homework.

p1060079.jpg   p1060078.jpg  

Old 06-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #34
natewv
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's all so beautiful. I have to hold off for awhile on buying any sort of pump, but I did just acquire a 9G blichman pot with a spigot vs just your basic turkey fryer brew pot which means you are always pouring or siphoning. Ive been using my mash tun for 4 or 5 brews now though, and just letting it drain instead of pouring 5-7 gallons of hot wort is magical. I just don't know how the hell to setup a nice basic gravity fed AG stand. I don't mind a few lifts, just don't like the pouring. I may just start a thread about it.

Quick Reply