Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Building a morebeer tippy dump replica

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2012, 12:22 AM   #21
Reaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I saw the welder and thought... "this guy has got to have a motorcycle somewhere... and likely a chopper" ... I was right about the bike part... (didn't even see the MC helmet at first glance)

Women are like yeast... You gotta keep them at the right temperature if you want to get anything out of them!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #22
Option
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ya you must be a gearhead of all sorts...Mopar banner throws me because I first noticed the STI banner (personally have Ej207 swapped wagon now) then the SR20 name, that has to have some weight and def with myself because I have owned 3 240s, built 2 with Sr's so I am curious what other projects you have broken out that badass welder for? hum?

Hhaaha awesome build and cant wait to see the progress on the rig...

Old 05-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #23
sr20steve
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option View Post
Ya you must be a gearhead of all sorts...Mopar banner throws me because I first noticed the STI banner (personally have Ej207 swapped wagon now) then the SR20 name, that has to have some weight and def with myself because I have owned 3 240s, built 2 with Sr's so I am curious what other projects you have broken out that badass welder for? hum?

Hhaaha awesome build and cant wait to see the progress on the rig...
Nice read! I'm sr20steve because I have owned 2 SE-R's and still have a loyalty to the SR20 to some sort (best motor made IMO), I also owned a fully built 04 Sti (built motor, tial 44, gt3071r, just about every single bolt on you can imagine) but it was nothing but trouble, I went through 3 shortblocks with that car. I ended up trading it in for a lancer evolution X, and I have been driving that since. it just has a tune and a intake that I built and it already makes 300 whp, it's a very stout car with little mods.

The ej207 is my favorite Subaru motor, had the reliability, the power, and the revs. The ej25 was the worst thing to happen to Subaru. I'm actually considering getting a new Sti if the FB20 turns out to be a stout motor, it looks promising.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #24
DRog00
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHoppyGuy View Post
Meh... Over rated
And who wants to climb a ladder to stir mash?

How stable would that stand be with a mashtun full? I'd hate to swing the mash tun over and topple the entire stand over. 42lbs of grain leaves about 33lbs of water plus say 25lbs of spend grain, plus 35lbs for the mashtun (keg). The More Beer setup looks more stable. A fellow homebrewer has the 25 gallon size, and it hardly even rocks when he dumps all of his grain. Suckers like me have to scoop the grain out until I can lift my mash tun, but it isn't like I am running the system 24 hours a day.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #25
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 52

The question is not 'would' the question's 'is'
The customer and I brewed on it 4 times together and dump the full mash (10 gallon recipes) straight into a wheel barrow.

Perhaps you should ask the owner of this stand about it's stability. This stand doesn't go anywhere, if it did, we wouldn't sell it.

It took four days of staring at it and CAD sketches to come up with the design. Looks are deceiving.

Brewright. All Rights Reserved. We reserve the right to brew and to help you brew. To protect the brew and defend the brew. To make the brew and drink the brew.

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Old 07-22-2012, 11:42 PM   #26
sr20steve
Recipes 

Finally a update. Things have been going pretty slow in progress. I decided to go with Kurt's (OneHoppyGuy) burner shrouds from brewsteel.com and the early tests show that this thing makes a HUGE difference. I basically have the stands welded up I just have the mash tun with the brewsteel shroud and the small burner with the adapters. I did a 10 gallon brew day for ****s and giggles and the mash was within temp in about 30 minutes. My buddy who has the larger burners with no shrouds takes longer to hit mash temp for the same volume. You can't even put your hands next to his kettles without getting a burn, thats how much BTU's you lose without a shroud. Another thing I like is the adjustability. The one thing I did screw up on was that I thought all the shrouds were stainless steel, its not the case the $35 is steel and the SS is $45...since I only bought one steel one I sold it to my buddy and I plan on buying the SS ones because I wanna pimp my brewstand, lol.

One thing I did figure out is that I made my lowest tier just a tad too low, i'll need to raise it up on casters to be able to gravity feed to my carboys. Heres some pics and happy brewing!

Steve

Here is the example of how the shroud makes a tight encloser around the heat source, I didn't realize how important this was till this very moment lol.

Here is my mock brew day, I did a Pliny clone and it turned out fantastic...

Action shots!

Stacking dimes!

Old 07-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #27
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 52

One thing I noticed... you're not taking advantage of the air vents on top of the shroud.

Brewright. All Rights Reserved. We reserve the right to brew and to help you brew. To protect the brew and defend the brew. To make the brew and drink the brew.

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Old 07-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #28
sr20steve
Recipes 

Wow, thanks for the heads up! Glad I haven't gone so far as to not cut them out and restart. I didn't realize that those cut outs served a purpose, these are some well thought out shrouds. Even the way it was it did a helluva job directing heat at my kettles.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:46 PM   #29
sr20steve
Recipes 

Made some big progress today. Took OneHoppyDude's suggestion and modified my brew stand to use his air vents. I also used the 1"x2" .065 wall tubing for the burner brackets. I'm very happy how things are turning out. This stand is for my brewing buddy but I'm learning a crap ton from my mistakes from this one. My frame is already done, I think my personal build will go much smoother.

Here are some pics.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:56 PM   #30
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Nice! Want to make me one?

Quick Reply