The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > building a brew stand and need some burner info please

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2011, 03:00 AM   #1
doctorsbro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default building a brew stand and need some burner info please

Well i am new to the forums, im currently designing a brew stand for my brother that is a member here, he currently brews quite a bit of beer and just this weekend we enjoyed an entire corny of his beer, i get to see him a couple times a year and im trying to find something that we will both enjoy. Lets just say he has a phd in chemistry from isu and im a high school dropout with high mechanical knowledge, i do alot of fabrication work. So on with the questions

My first question is about these burners from northern brewer
found here http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewin...rner-only.html

it includes the orfice and cover plate etc, i want to run 3 of these burners off of a manifold, can i use 1 of there recomended regulator/hose kits to run all 3?

this regulator kit
found here http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewin...jo-burner.html

Also, i am looking for some nice valves to control the gas flow to each burner than i can attatch knobs to and mount on the front panel of the stand, any suggestions? The next thing i am looking for is some battery powered igniters, im thinking about just buying some from the hardware store in the grill replacement parts section(i know they have them, ive bought them for a potato gun igniter before lol) will these suffice?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i will post some pictures up in the near future, the entire construction will be stainless steal and will be a folding compact version much smaller than most of these 3-15.5 keggle setups but will be rather large when unfolded and setup for brewing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 07:11 AM   #2
sanch
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

welcome my brother is way cooler than me too. You want needle valves for precise flame control but they are not toataly nessesary mostly you will be dealng with on and off situations .the bbq valves did not work out well for me. ball valves are cheap readilly available and work fine for most folks. BTW read Shop Class As Soul Craft. School as modern society calls it, is no more than propogandic control.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
PGHBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just bought two of those same burners for my stand that I'm getting ready to build. I plan on using ball valves to control the propane flow. I know another guy who uses ball valves and hasn't had any problems.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
FishFace
Recipes 

I have two 60k burners running of the same tank. The both use the same 10 psi reg that goes to 3/8" pipe. Then splits. Each burner has it's own needle valve. Both can run max output off the same tank without excessive tank cooling from expansion

I did not use banjos. I has trouble figuring how to attach to my brewstand in a manner that would allow removal. Instead I went with the camp chef 60k "cloverleaf"

I was able to twist fit them so they can be removed for rig updates painting or powder coating

Old 03-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
J-Malone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFace View Post
I have two 60k burners running of the same tank. The both use the same 10 psi reg that goes to 3/8" pipe. Then splits. Each burner has it's own needle valve. Both can run max output off the same tank without excessive tank cooling from expansion

I did not use banjos. I has trouble figuring how to attach to my brewstand in a manner that would allow removal. Instead I went with the camp chef 60k "cloverleaf"

I was able to twist fit them so they can be removed for rig updates painting or powder coating
Are your burners Hi or low pressure? I am having issues with my low pressure 6" bg12 burners running off a 10 psi regulator. I also have a ball valve for on/off control for each burner and a gate valve for precision control of the flame.

On Tap: Berlinner Weiss (still...lol), Dickson County Pale, Evil Twin Clone (Hoppy Amber)

Fermenting: McFearless IPA (Apollo/Summit Hop Monster!)

Cold Conditioning: English Pale Ale (Yorkshire Square yeast)

In the queue: Munich Helles, Standard American Lager (My Fizzy, yella beer try), APA (10g split batch using diff yeast), ABA (Hoppy 7-8%, Imperial Janets Brown??? maybe), Saison (using WLP670 American Farmhouse), Terrapin Hop Karma Brown IPA Clone

Old 03-09-2011, 05:28 PM   #6
Paulasaurus
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm running 3 of these on my stand wth a 30 psi regulator. Working great so far.

http://www.agrisupply.com/bg-high-pr...94/cn/5400000/

Old 03-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #7
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Yeah I use those. They drink propane.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
Paulasaurus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendBrewer View Post
Yeah I use those. They drink propane.
I've not noticed any difference compared to the single Bayou Banjo I used before.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #9
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulasaurus View Post
I've not noticed any difference compared to the single Bayou Banjo I used before.
Aren't they the same thing?

Old 03-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #10
Paulasaurus
Recipes 

I never got the chance to compare them side by side but the shape seems to be a little different. I thought one had a different shaped/length neck on it.

How many batches can you get out of a 20 lb lp tank?

Sorry for the hijack op. I also use ball valves for controlling my burners and its working good.

Quick Reply