The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Bucket Heater for Elec HLT

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
RegionalChaos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Bucket Heater for Elec HLT

Has anyone used one of these?

http://www.alliedprecision.com/bucketheater.html

It claims to go past 150f, but some sites say it also has an auto shut off. I want to build a walk away elect HLT. I want to plug it in, set the temp I want, come back in a while and have it ready to go, sitting at the right temp. Instead of cutting a hole and installing a water heater element, I'm wondering if I can use some immersion heater or bucket heater that is already out there on the market ready to go.

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what...hamber-190459/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 8

This will work fine for heating water, at only 1000w it will take a while and work better if the vessel is insulated (cooler perhaps). I would guess it would take 2-3 hours to raise tap to sparge temp for 5 gallons. Best if put on a simple / cheap appliance/lighting timer, that way it would be ready when you are, and you would not be waiting.

I believe the auto shut off feature is to avoid running dry and being a fire hazard??? Not really positive???

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 02-18-2010, 07:43 PM   #3
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts

1000W is quite weak. 60F to 170F in 5 gallons, on a great day..... 85 minutes, not horrible

Last edited by The Pol; 02-18-2010 at 07:46 PM.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
Are they limited?

That's one of the things I'd like to find out. Some sites say they have an autoshut off, others say you can go to boil, so I don't know what triggers the auto shut off. That's part of the reason I'm asking. I know 1000W would be weak, but if they work easy out of the box maybe drop in two?

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what...hamber-190459/

Old 02-18-2010, 07:49 PM   #5
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegionalChaos View Post
That's one of the things I'd like to find out. Some sites say they have an autoshut off, others say you can go to boil, so I don't know what triggers the auto shut off. That's part of the reason I'm asking. I know 1000W would be weak, but if they work easy out of the box maybe drop in two?
I know a cpl guys here have gotten them and sent them back, maybe they will chime in as to why.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:03 PM   #6
lustreking
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have one that I used a couple times like wilserbrewer suggested. I hooked it up to an appliance timer, and set it to turn on around 45 minutes before I got home. When I got home, it was very close to dough in temperature, and I finished heating up to temperature using gas.

I can check the manual when I get home, but again, I think wilser is right, and the shutoff is to prevent it running dry.

My brewing site:
http://brewing.lustreking.com

Old 02-18-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2746 Times on 2697 Posts
Likes Given: 110

have you looked into building a heat stick? Basically the same thing, but you can put whatever wattage element in it you want.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 02-18-2010, 08:56 PM   #8
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Probably work fine if coupled w/ a temp controller....provided you stir the water, and give it plenty of time in an insulated vessel.

You just really don't want to wait for 1000 watts...like watching grass grow i imagine.

On a simple timer, I would err on the overheat side, and then temper down to temp w/ cool water.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 02-18-2010, 09:00 PM   #9
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 71

I have one in my garage right now. It does not work. It warmed my water to around 140, if my memory is correct. I bought it through an Amazon seller. They told me to keep it and refunded my money. I think I'm going to use the cord for my diy heater.

Tap 3: Empty - APA coming June
Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:
Cold Conditioning: IPA
On Deck: Kolsch
On Deck: Pale Ale
On Deck: Dusseldorf Altbier

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-18-2010, 09:33 PM   #10
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. Largely what I was looking for. I think the difference between this and a heat stick would be that I wouldn't have to assemble this. Instead of a heat stick, I'd probably just rather install an element in the kettle.

Quick Reply