Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brutus 10 Rebuild (Lots of Pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
psyphinx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brutus 10 Rebuild (Lots of Pics)

For anyone who is interested here is a link to the Garage Brewers Society website where I am documenting the rebuild of my Brutus 10. Sorry I didnt direct link the pics and thread here but it was a ton of typing to do it the first time!

http://www.garagebrewers.com/forum/t...p=14515#p14515

Cheers,
Jerid

Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
HI_SALENITY
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

looks good , You will like that box and those switches.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:26 PM   #3
jcav
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Wow! Night and day! I love the color also. I'd like to see that box, especially the wiring, as I'm going to have to wire mine and I'm not electrically (is that a word?) inclined.

Keep the pics coming!

John

"Talent is hitting a target no one else can hit. Genius is hitting a target no one else can see."

"Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they really aren't after you!"

Old 02-02-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Copy and paste is your friend!

Old 02-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #5
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyphinx View Post
After my failed attempt to sell off the Brutus I asked the wife if I could trick the system out the way I had always intended. Somehow I got her approval . With another child on the way I had intended to go back to using my simple and reliable cooler, pot, blichmann burner setup for my brewdays which are very likely to get a bit more limited once the new baby arrives. After I couldnt sell the unit though I got to thinking that if Im not going to be able to brew as often I may as well enjoy my brew sessions as much as possible using the equipment I really wanted to use. So here I am with a new thread documenting what I have done to the old Brutus.

For those of you who havent seen the unit before I purchsed the stand and electronics second hand from another brewer who essentially gutted the unit when I took possesion. He took his pumps, therminator chiller, hoses, kettles, keggles, disconnects, etc etc. Heres a few shots of the unit when I first got it:

Quote:
As you can see the stand was in rough shape. Since it was made of mild steel it really should have had a coat of protective paint but it never got one. I spent hours sanding off the rust and prepping it for high temp paint. When I was finished it looked like this:

Quote:
A marked improvement for sure. I gave the stand several coats and gave it ample time to dry as well as fired the burners without pots on it to help the stand cure with some indirect heat. The next step was to get the unit functional. I went with a keggle setup due to a friend trading me 3 keggles with the lids cut off for my old 15 gallon megapot. The pics below document the route I went to getting the unit ready to brew. This included a new burner as one of the jet burners that came with the unit burned really dirty.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:40 PM   #6
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer

Recipes 

Old 02-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #7
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer

Recipes 

Quote:
And a finsihed shot of how she was and ran for about a year.

Quote:
Now on to the new stuff and reasons for why I did things.

The first thing I had to address was the lack of flow from the temperature T fittings on the outside of the keggles. The thermowells I bought from McMaster Carr, while built like tanks, were a bit too thick and they blocked flow considerably, especially if I used any sort of adjunt or rye. I found a manufacturer of stainless thermowells on ebay who sold me some vey small 2.5 inch long 1/2 inch npt thermowells for 9 bucks each. Here they are side by side comared to the old ones. The new ones are on the right obviously

Quote:
Secondly I had to address the burner situation. I hate, repeat, HATE jet burners. They are loud, near uncontrollable and suck up TONS of propane. I picked up some Bayou Classic burners for 16 bucks each to replace them with. They are quieter, just as hot, and you can actually turn the propane to a reasonable level. I also added a completely adjustable 1-30 PSI regulator so I could control every facet of the gas distribution from the tank to the bar and subsoquently from the bar to the burners.

Quote:
As you can tell from the pic above I was still getting some very light surface rust. That combined with the flat black paint never really looking nice and being hard to clean it was time for a change. I didnt want to shell out the cash for powder coating so I went with high temp engine header paint that is rated to 1000 degrees. For a color I decided to get down with some german brewing roots and go copper. Here are the before and afters.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:49 PM   #8
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer

Recipes 

Quote:
You can sort of see in the picture above that the Solenoid Valves are different. I changed out the original Asco valves for these new metal housed units. The Ascos that were on the stand I came to find were not rated to handle propane gas which is one of the reasons I got dirty burning flames out of those Jet burners. These units have been excellent so far.

Next up is the control box. Not to say theres anything wrong with the old one except for being well, honestly ugly as hell. I stumbled onto a website called the electric brewery .com and I fell in love with his design. Below are some old and up to date pics. The box is currently being painted and I hope to post pics once its all wired in. A big thanks to club member Rick Ernst for rewiring this whole unit for me. Rick works for an automated control system company and is way over engineering the inside connections. Pics are sure to come.

Quote:
Ill have more pics up really soon including why Im not using Keggles anymore for this rig.

Cheers,
Jerid

Old 02-02-2011, 10:51 PM   #9
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer

Recipes 

Wow, 17 minutes of my life I'll never get back! It's a really nice re-build. Hopefully you will share it with us here instead of posting a lame hyperlink!

Old 02-03-2011, 12:00 AM   #10
McTarnamins

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweaty View Post
Wow, 17 minutes of my life I'll never get back! It's a really nice re-build. Hopefully you will share it with us here instead of posting a lame hyperlink!
Off topic, but do you go to the Garage Brewers Society meetings. I live 1.5 miles from Ofallon Brewery and have been thinking about stopping by a meeting to get to know some local brewers. Thanks for the reply.

BTW, awesome build. I want to do a BIAB 10. Basically a temp controlled brew in a bag set up. Anyway. Nice work and great color choice.

Cheers,
Keg 4 :
Conical Left:
Conical Right:American Wheat (7-day G2G)
On Deck: Pumpkin Ale, Apocalypso Ale (AHB)

"Save your sack; Brew in a Bag"

Quick Reply