New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brutus 10 questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
MrRoboto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Brutus 10 questions

I recently bought a set of plans for $3 for the Brutus 10 and I think I might need to make some modifications because I plan on using 15.5 gallon kegs for my pots.

I noticed that a keg stands about 23 inches tall the brutus 10 legs are 28 inches tall plus I have 4 inch casters this would make it 61 inches to the top of the keg I think this might be a little too tall Im thinking of shortening the legs 10 inches. Does anyone have any experience with the height on this? Should I go as far as 12 inches and have no legs and just attach casters to the frame itself?

Also as far as the width of the kegs go they can be 16-17 inches in diameter and each burner space on the plans is a 12 x 12 square with 2 inch rails so with kegs they would need to be touching each other what length and width should I make this stand to fit kegs well?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 07:50 AM   #2
lanvp
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Also as far as the width of the kegs go they can be 16-17 inches in diameter and each burner space on the plans is a 12 x 12 square with 2 inch rails so with kegs they would need to be touching each other what length and width should I make this stand to fit kegs well?

Hmm, I am not sure but the original Brutus 10 had some spacing between the rails. I don’t have the Brutus schematics but I believe there is ~2” space between each burner frame (the 12” by 12” burner space plus rails on each end). The overall length was ~48” plus the end rails width.

I did lots of research before finalizing my brew stand design so I can relate to your concerns!

Old 12-31-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
derbycitybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanvp

Hmm, I am not sure but the original Brutus 10 had some spacing between the rails. I don’t have the Brutus schematics but I believe there is ~2” space between each burner frame (the 12” by 12” burner space plus rails on each end). The overall length was ~48” plus the end rails width.

I did lots of research before finalizing my brew stand design so I can relate to your concerns!
Did u build the Brutus 10? I'm thinking about making one. How much did it run you in material and parts if u don't mind me asking?

Old 12-31-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
MrRoboto
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanvp View Post

Yeah you are right there is 2 inch spaces between rails this means only 16 to 17 inches of space per keg I went ahead and built mine with no 12 inch legs on the bottom and 13 inch square burner space just to give me some more room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbycitybrewer View Post
Did u build the Brutus 10? I'm thinking about making one. How much did it run you in material and parts if u don't mind me asking?
The metal cost me $107 for 4 10 foot sections. The casters were $50. Plus 2 days of work I had to use my chain come a long to pull metal together to keep it square wile I was building and welding it out.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
derbycitybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto

Yeah you are right there is 2 inch spaces between rails this means only 16 to 17 inches of space per keg I went ahead and built mine with no 12 inch legs on the bottom and 13 inch square burner space just to give me some more room.

The metal cost me $107 for 4 10 foot sections. The casters were $50. Plus 2 days of work I had to use my chain come a long to pull metal together to keep it square wile I was building and welding it out.
Very nice stand. I myself am a fabricator and welder. Think I'm gonna make my own stand myself too. Great work. Cheers.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
slakwhere
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
... I had to use my chain come a long to pull metal together to keep it square wile I was building and welding it out...
for future projects, i suggest using jigs or magnets to keep the project square when laying it out, and then tacking all 4 corners of the piece before doing any big welds. it will keep the project from twisting. heating/cooling of the weld pulls things out of square.

http://www.eastwood.com/magnetic-welding-small-jig-set.html?utm_content=19065&utm_campaign=nextagsean 01&utm_source=nextag&utm_medium=Merchant-Centre&SRCCODE=1SE0757

or

http://prestondrake.smugmug.com/Other/Website-Pics/sandblaster03/806673301_JjHRh-L.jpg

Old 12-31-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
sTiNkFiZzle
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I'd also recommend some heave duty ratchet straps to help keep it all square. Helped me a ton building my Brutus stand.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:47 AM   #8
MrRoboto
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I did use magnets and I used a come along it ratchets and helped me a lot. Using square tubing it is hard to keep square but it worked out in the end. I will post more pics when I get more of the rig built.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
derbycitybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakwhere

for future projects, i suggest using jigs or magnets to keep the project square when laying it out, and then tacking all 4 corners of the piece before doing any big welds. it will keep the project from twisting. heating/cooling of the weld pulls things out of square.

http://www.eastwood.com/magnetic-welding-small-jig-set.html?utm_content=19065&utm_campaign=nextagsean 01&utm_source=nextag&utm_medium=Merchant-Centre&SRCCODE=1SE0757

or

http://prestondrake.smugmug.com/Other/Website-Pics/sandblaster03/806673301_JjHRh-L.jpg
The second link you posted. What is that jig called? I will def be ordering one of these before I build.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:38 AM   #10
lanvp
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbycitybrewer View Post
No, I took some features from several stands and merged them in to my own design. I call it, "The Frankenstand"

After installing all the equipment!

About the cost, I think the steel was ~$180. I need to look for my bill of materials (it's been a couple of years since the build!).

Last edited by lanvp; 01-01-2013 at 09:41 AM. Reason: problem uploading the pictures...
PortDawgBrewer Likes This 

Quick Reply