Brutus 10 burner selection and mounting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billtzk

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace the 23 tip jet burners on my natural gas B10 with something more controllable. The jet burners, even with a few holes plugged, don't work all that well for me unless they are close to wide open. The jet burner is OK for the HLT since I tend to run it near wide open (actually just past half open, as they are monster flame throwers when opened all the way), but I need finer control for the BK and especially for the MLT.

I'm looking at the low-pressure hurricane with the orifice drilled out for NG, or a 3-ring burner that I've seen a few people use. This one, specifically: http://www.cpapc.com/store/3-Ring-Burner-natural-gas-P2361C244.aspx

How does that 3-ring compare in output and in controllability throughout the temperature range to an NG modified hurricane? Will it make any difference in a residential setting? I don't know what my gas WC pressure is, but I'm 12 feet of 3/4 inch black pipe from my meter, necked down to 1/2 inch at the B10 gas manifold. I'm guessing somewhere between 4 and 7 inch WC, as that is typical for residential supply.

From the picture, the 3-ring looks like it has two gas ports and air dampers on it. How would I connect that to my gas supply?

My jet burners attach directly to the black pipe gas supply and aren't otherwise attached to the rig. Hurricane or ring burners need to be mounted somehow. What are some good ways to mount them in a B10 rig? I'd like to be able to easily remove them.

Banjo and Hurricane burners appear similar, and from what I gather, can even use the same orifice inserts. So long as I get a low pressure version, I should be able to drill it out for NG.

I never mounted a wind screen around my jet burners because I didn't want to block the air flow to them. They always seem to have trouble getting enough air. But it looks like that isn't a problem for the Banjo/Hurricane burners, and in fact, all of the commercially available burner and stand combos that I've seen have the wind screen quite close to the burner.

I could weld a circular wind shield under each burner position on my stand, and drill mounting holes or slots to mount the burner. Verticle slots would let me raise or lower the burners to tune the height. I've read that 2 or 3 inches from the bottom of the keggle is about the right distance for the Banjo / Hurricane style burners.

Does that sound like it would work? Is there any better way of doing it?

Right now I don't have a PID or relay controleed pilot / gas ignition system, but I want to add that eventually.

I'm in the middle of this exact problem. I started at 4" and the boil time was a
Little slow. I moved them up to 2". One burner worked pretty good with some flames going up over the wind screen and up the side of the keggle. But the other burner actually was getting balls of flames under the burner from the gas having insufficient room to combust. And big flames going up the sides of the keg. So I'm going back down to 3-4". I did a 1/2
Wind screen open to the back to allow exhaust. See my build in DIY. Im about 50% thru the build

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/single-tier-herms-build-293204/

Back