New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Broken mini fridge??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
blairellis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Broken mini fridge??

Just picked up a Haier 4.5 cubic foot mini fridge on CL for about half of what they normally go for. I was bending the freezer tray out of the way (probably not going slow enough) and I heard a hissing noise. Turns out I put a kink in the hose and pinched it.

What can I use to fix this with and is there a way to put some regular r134 from an autoparts store back in?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Take it to the dump.

Thats all its good for.

From what research i did, you have to have specialized tools to pressurize coolant lines when you fill them. Tools that will cost more than the entire fridge.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
Junkster
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you know someone in the refrigeration biz who will work for beer, they may be able to help but to hire someone with the tools, equipment and knowledge would probably cost more that a new one.

I do this kind of work, and I like working on junk but I don't think I'd even want to mess with it!

Old 11-29-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Pretty much garbage now. You'd first have to somehow fix the line you cracked like brazing or silver soldiering maybe, and if that holds, you'd have to find a way to vacuum the system and then refill. Those units usually don't have any fittings to allow vacuuming and refilling; they're sealed basically with the intention that it will never leak (and usually they don't). And if it was new enough to use 134A, if it's older it might have been R12.

Principles of Healthy Diets

Old 11-29-2012, 11:01 PM   #5
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2659 Times on 1714 Posts
Likes Given: 2166

Toast. I've done exactly the same thing. Sad, I know.

Eyes closed, we imagined our pain as a ball of white healing light floating around our feet and rising to our knees, our waist, our chest. Our chakras opening. The heart chakra. The head chakra. Chloe talked us into caves where we meet our power animal. Mine was a penguin.

Quick Reply