Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brewstand input?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2009, 09:43 PM   #61
Boerderij_Kabouter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Here is another concept for you to look at. A friend of mine is going to build this on 120VAC for 4 gallon batches, but you could pretty easily scale it up to 10g with 240VAC.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2009, 05:15 PM   #62
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

So we changed up the design a bit:

We should start building this coming weekend. You can follow that build and get more details in the build thread "Simple Brewery est. 2009 : the Build" in the DIY section.

Anywho... any progress on your decision making Yoop? I love watching these rigs come together!!!

Old 11-24-2009, 08:24 AM   #63
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Except for that picture................................... That picture might actually look like me. Except that I have breasts.
And hair I hope, add a beard and the head looks like mine at least.

I love this thread, motivates me to get a real house and out of this condo that restricts everything I can do.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:16 AM   #64
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4359 Times on 3169 Posts
Likes Given: 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
Anywho... any progress on your decision making Yoop? I love watching these rigs come together!!!
Nope. I keep going back and forth on what I want! I was at the gas place yesterday filling my tank and we starting talking. (Well, to be fair, I talk to EVERYBODY so he just put up with me). Anyway, we talked a lot about ventilation and gasses, and he almost convinced me to go all propane, even indoors since it's simpler and I'm not very bright. The caveat would be fresh air exchange. He got me thinking about airflow and moisture more so than a range hood type set up.

I need to think about safety, convenience, and durability. If I can't troubleshoot the sculpture myself, then it won't work for me. So, back to the drawing board. Not literally- your drawings are fine! But I'm hoping to do something unusual this coming spring. I want to invite myself over to fellow HBTers homes and see their systems and ask questions. Before I spend $2000 on something, I want to make sure it's what I want, need, and understand!

Old 12-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #65
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

I keep going back to the tippy dump sculpture at morebeer.com. http://morebeer.com/view_product/8917/103470/New_1550_Tippy_BrewSculpture

But I was thinking- I'd rather have the HLT higher, even with a step, because I can't see me enjoying climbing up on a step and lifting 26 pounds of grain in a bucket.

Would that type of sculpture work with the HLT on top, the MLT on the middle, and the BK on the bottom, under the HLT? That seems like it would be easiest, but I'd have to pump from the BK to the fermenter, I assume.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:57 PM   #66
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

If you put the BK under the HLT, you will need to have a ventilation solution for the vapor. A kitchen hood would work fine.

I am not a fan of the elevated MLT either, I like to be able to easy glance at the mash and stir at my whim.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:10 PM   #67
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
If you put the BK under the HLT, you will need to have a ventilation solution for the vapor. A kitchen hood would work fine.

I am not a fan of the elevated MLT either, I like to be able to easy glance at the mash and stir at my whim.
I'm not sure what you mean about the ventilation solution for the vapor if it's under the HLT.

Another thought is to use the same basic idea, but go with a two-tier sculpture. Still make the MLT with a tippy dump, in the middle.

HLT could be higher, the MLT and BK on the same level. So, only one pump. It might be cool to even have a tippy dump for both the MLT and BK so it'd be super easy cleaning. I really like the smaller footprint on the morebeer sculpture, and the step, the "wheelbarrow" handles, etc.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:49 PM   #68
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Mine to be a 3 tier. It's almost finished. The MLT is no to high. No steps! I like the 2 tier, but built the structure before I bought a pump. Im putting the HERMS coil in the HLT. I still think I'm going to like it. I'm glad to see you thinking it all out. Myself I would go all electric. Electric is really reliable. No doubt this will be the way I go in the future. For now I'm an exterior brewer.

Are You Going to Drink all That?

Quick Reply