The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brewstand input?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 08:54 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo View Post
I know an electrician that would help you out for a few beers!
Slaps forehead! OMG- I forgot about you! Well, not as a brewing buddy, but that as an EE with an electric company, you might be a good resource!!!!! Duh! (By the way, brewing tomorrow during the day if you wanna come over- two batch day.)

So, if BK can help design, and you can help with the electrical/venting ideas, I have two experts right there!

At this point, I can pay you in yeast, grain, and hops and beer. If you start to charge more, we'll have to talk.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2009, 08:57 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmb View Post
You just don't have any electric dryer/oven/water heater outlets, right? You probably have a 220/240v service. It should just be a matter of running wire and terminations if you have the proper service.

Otherwise, not cheap...
Nah, I don't have it period. I have an old house, and I'm happy to have 100 amp service!

I'll see if lschiavo can take a look and actually tell me what I have. Pretty please, lschiavo?

Old 11-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #13
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 742 Times on 492 Posts
Likes Given: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Nah, I don't have it period. I have an old house, and I'm happy to have 100 amp service!

I'll see if lschiavo can take a look and actually tell me what I have. Pretty please, lschiavo?
We were going to look at your service the day I was over but we got distracted with brewing.

To not have a 240V service is very rare. I'm sure you are ok there.

Not sure about tomorrow, but I will stop by if I'm in the area.

I would actually really like to help with the build. Sounds like a lot of fun!

Old 11-03-2009, 09:11 PM   #14
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Wait... what?! You don't have 220v access? I don't think that is right. You don't have 200amp service, neither do I. But 220v is what is used for most power transmission (at least I thought so) and its just a matter of how you hook up the circuit (two hots or one hot). If I am wrong I would like to know. Learn something new everyday

Old 11-03-2009, 09:14 PM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRage View Post
yeah, I wouldnt vent into the attic. That is the last place you want moisture problems, you'll also be send co2 through out the house. It needs to vent outside.

Im partial to electric. Since you are looking at setting it up in the laundry room, what is the service to the dryer rated at? If you don't know look in the breaker panel for for the dryer breaker and write down it's rating. Im guessing 30 amp.

What size batches do you want to be able to do?
I really like your system- but I really don't think I'm handy enough to figure it out/build it. Ideally, I'd like to do 10 gallon batches but I could live with 5 if I had to. I wouldn't mind an all electric system, with a two tier, and three vessels. (The MLT could remain a cooler, right?)

My house has all gas appliances, and not great electrical.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo View Post
We were going to look at your service the day I was over but we got distracted with brewing.

To not have a 240V service is very rare. I'm sure you are ok there.

Not sure about tomorrow, but I will stop by if I'm in the area.

I would actually really like to help with the build. Sounds like a lot of fun!
Well, I have no idea, really. I told you that I'm a simpleton when it comes to things like that.

By the way, since you're willing to help me, I take back all of those snarky comments I made about engineers. I was just jealous. Yeah, that's it! Jealous!

If you can stop by, that'd be great. I'll try to get brewing by 9 AM, and finished by 2 PM. Only one beer on tap right now, the oatmeal stout, but you're welcome to have a few!

Thanks for everybody's input! I'll see what I have, and then start from there. I really am a total noob here- I've never even seen a brewstand before so this is a real learning experience for me!

Old 11-03-2009, 09:33 PM   #17
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I really like your system- but I really don't think I'm handy enough to figure it out/build it. Ideally, I'd like to do 10 gallon batches but I could live with 5 if I had to. I wouldn't mind an all electric system, with a two tier, and three vessels. (The MLT could remain a cooler, right?)

My house has all gas appliances, and not great electrical.
Why thank you. It could be done with a lot less plumbing and electrical stuff but I wasn't suggesting you build one. You seem like a 3 vessel kind of lass to me The counter top version of the brutus 20 seems to be pretty popular and well documented should you decide to save a little room.

Is it the cost of the pumps or the actual wiring of the pumps that has you put off? Or perhaps the plumbing? If you wanted to do a RIMS or HERMS a pump is just about required.

There was a very nice, super compact three tier brewery that was put together not too long ago. Think they were calling it a tier and a half. Should I ever build another one, I may go that route. That could easily be adapted for an electric system. Yes you can keep the cooler too.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:39 PM   #18
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRage View Post
Why thank you. It could be done with a lot less plumbing and electrical stuff but I wasn't suggesting you build one. You seem like a 3 vessel kind of lass to me The counter top version of the brutus 20 seems to be pretty popular and well documented should you decide to save a little room.

Is it the cost of the pumps or the actual wiring of the pumps that has you put off? Or perhaps the plumbing? If you wanted to do a RIMS or HERMS a pump is just about required.

There was a very nice, super compact three tier brewery that was put together not too long ago. Think they were calling it a tier and a half. Should I ever build another one, I may go that route. That could easily be adapted for an electric system. Yes you can keep the cooler too.
I don't really want a counter top system, a sculpture is fine with me. I like the idea of wheels and a "wheelbarrow" moving option. It's not the cost of the pumps- it's the plumbing and the operation. If I'm not smart enough to know how to plumb it, how am I going to prime it, or fix it if something goes wrong?!? But ideally, I would have a RIMS or HERMS.

Where can I see a tier and half? I was just looking at morebeer.com's site, and I love their sculpture with the tippy dump, and the HLT under the MLT. One pump may not intimidate me as much as two to start with!

Old 11-04-2009, 10:46 AM   #19
lehr
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

You have 220 you just dont have an outlet wired in. I dont know about 3 tier set ups because you have to lift the water pretty high to get it in your hlt.
To bad your so far away I would love to give you a hand with the whole thing.
Let me know what I can do..If you have a drawing I could build it for you.

Pat

Last edited by lehr; 11-04-2009 at 10:55 AM.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:01 PM   #20
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehr View Post
You have 220 you just dont have an outlet wired in. I dont know about 3 tier set ups because you have to lift the water pretty high to get it in your hlt.
To bad your so far away I would love to give you a hand with the whole thing.
Let me know what I can do..If you have a drawing I could build it for you.

Pat
You have got to see Pat's (Lehr) system. If I were in Yooper's shoes I would take him up on it in a heartbeat. It's not only a brewery, it's a work of art. Take a look at it in his gallery.

Guy

Brewery URL: Black Dog Brewery NY

BBQ Team URL: Two Fat Polocks BBQ Team

Last edited by Sawdustguy; 11-04-2009 at 01:08 PM.

Quick Reply