Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > brewstand building tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
nyer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default brewstand building tips

I'm finally close to building a stand. I have been planning and replanning because I'm the kind of person that wants it perfect the first time. I hate building something and then finding out I wished I did something different.
It looks like I'm going with a 2 tier system with 1 pump and 2 burners to start. I am going to copy the sabco brewmagic stand design except it's going to be lower so that I can easily see and reach the hlt and mashtun. I'm using a keggle for the hlt and boil kettle and a 10 gallon round cooler for the mlt. I'm eventually going to upgrade to an electric hlt with herms or rims and eventually an electric boil kettle. For now, I'm going with burners to get things startedwithout spending a fortune all at once.

For all of you who have built your own stands, is there anything you wish you did different? Is there anything about your stand that you think is a must have?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
PGHBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm in the process of doing the same type of stand. I'm putting in the provisions (heat shield and mounting) where my future third burner will be, which is under my MLT. If you plan on eventually having a third burner I would build that in that way you only have to hook up the burner once you have it.

Also it can be a bit overwhelming purchasing everything for your stand. I suggest making a list of all your material, parts etc... and price everything out. My cost is at about 1K right now and that's for materials. Luckily the welding is being done for free.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I would begin with the end in mind. It sounds like you would like to someday have a single tier stand. I would build that stand and modify it to a 2 tier somehow. Either weld something that can be removed later or maybe something less permanent. I have a very similar set up with the cooler MLT and I built my stand so I can easily convert to a direct fire tun if I want by simply bolting in one more burner.

Not sure if you have been here but this is the build that I followed. Yankee did a great job.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/weld...-build-164749/

Old 04-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
nyer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendBrewer View Post
I would begin with the end in mind. It sounds like you would like to someday have a single tier stand. I would build that stand and modify it to a 2 tier somehow. Either weld something that can be removed later or maybe something less permanent. I have a very similar set up with the cooler MLT and I built my stand so I can easily convert to a direct fire tun if I want by simply bolting in one more burner.

Not sure if you have been here but this is the build that I followed. Yankee did a great job.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/weld...-build-164749/
In the very end I plan on being all electric so I only need 2 burners for now. I also plan to be able to weld on an additional piece if I ever wanted it to be a single tier.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
slakwhere
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 9

ensure you've taken into account all of your hardware, casters, etc into total measurements.

if you have the technology (chop saw) make all your corner cuts at 45 degrees so there is no open ends.

build your top and bottom "frames" and then attach the legs sandwiched between them.

draw up some plans, think, measure twice/cut once.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #6
nyer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I may be changing my mind again. In order to keep everything low the boil kettle would have to be almost on the ground. I want to avoid bending over as much as I want to avoid a step to get into the mlt and hlt. I have a bad lower back and at the end of a brewday I'm in pain. Maybe a single tier and 2 pumps is the only way to go. I was hpoing to keep cost down by eliminating a pump and fittings.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:23 PM   #7
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyer View Post
I may be changing my mind again. In order to keep everything low the boil kettle would have to be almost on the ground. I want to avoid bending over as much as I want to avoid a step to get into the mlt and hlt. I have a bad lower back and at the end of a brewday I'm in pain. Maybe a single tier and 2 pumps is the only way to go. I was hpoing to keep cost down by eliminating a pump and fittings.
I have a single tier and one pump. It forces me to batch sparge but so what?

I did build the stand with the idea of adding a second pump but my system works fine for now and I'm content at the moment. I can spend more money later if I want.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
slakwhere
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 9

+1. what do you really NEED a second pump for? i love my single tier single pump setup. would be nice to re-circ the HLT water while i HERMS but i survive.

i set my system up and the only thing i lift all brew-day is scoops of grain into the MLT and carrying the vessel to the fermenting fridge.

Reason: not finished.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:39 AM   #9
sanch
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakwhere View Post
+1. what do you really NEED a second pump for? i love my single tier single pump setup. would be nice to re-circ the HLT water while i HERMS but i survive.

i set my system up and the only thing i lift all brew-day is scoops of grain into the MLT and carrying the vessel to the fermenting fridge.
What no 12 oz curls?

Old 04-07-2011, 02:07 PM   #10
FishFace
Recipes 

I started with single level and one pump, Added 2nd pump later.

Tips I learned:

Make so everything can be stripped, upgrades are easier.

I would add leveling legs, to mine.

Pumps go as low as possible. And add cover. Simple bent acrylic works great.

I used CAD to design mine. Allowed me to cut all pieces, prep, then do fab work. Saved tons of that wasted "thinking" time while in shop.

I used cheap BBQ paint. And still like it. I can touch up as needed.

I did not angle cut corners, I used plastic plugs, but They are far enough away that they don't melt.

Integrate hose storage if you use silicone tubing.

KISS

Quick Reply