Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brewing With Propane and Burner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #11
dogtailale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Merritt View Post
I do all grain. I'm not high, I quit doing drugs years ago I'm in Dallas, no clue what the elevation is. And I don't know the btu's. It's a fish/turkey fryer from Bass Pro Shops.

Your 430'

my guess 5 PSI very thrifty

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 06:16 PM   #12
robertvrabel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
I do all grain. I'm not high, I quit doing drugs years ago I'm in Dallas, no clue what the elevation is. And I don't know the btu's. It's a fish/turkey fryer from Bass Pro Shops.
Thats pretty crazy you can do double than I can... not sure why. I'm using a bayou burner. Perhaps its just less efficient than yours? I do heat up strike & sparge water with it as well, do you too?

Old 11-10-2010, 06:31 PM   #13
WildGingerBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1922 Times on 1898 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I use it to heat strike water but usually not sparge water. I just filled my extra tank 2 weeks ago. Haven't used it yet. I'm going to mark the date on it when I do and see exactly how many I get out of one tank. But I know for sure that I have 2 tanks and have used one completey and about 1/2 of the other. And I know that I've brewed 14 beers with that set-up.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:40 PM   #14
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm going to have to pay attention, and do some planning and organizing...

I've got 4 tanks that I use for my BBQ, smoker, and burner, and I tend to switch them around a lot. I guess I could dedicate one for beer only and see how many uses I get. My guess is that I get 4-5 10-gallon batches out of it including heating strike and sparge.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:03 PM   #15
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
All you guys saying between 4 and 6 batches made me go back and count brews. I have brewed fourteen 5 gal batches this year with my propane burner. I have used one and half 20# tanks. I have done 60 min and 90 min boils. I wonder why I'm getting twice as many brews out of my tank than everyone else????
I definitely get 10+, then again, I only do the boil on the burner, I heat sparge/strike water on the stove.

(SQ14)

Old 11-11-2010, 09:10 PM   #16
Ichthy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I get around 10 beers, all strike and sparge water heated, with a 20# tank. I did build a heat shield and am not an advocate of boiling your wort to the point of jumping out of the pot. BTW, the heat shield more than doubled the number of beers i could brew on a tank of gas.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:24 AM   #17
robertvrabel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichthy View Post
I get around 10 beers, all strike and sparge water heated, with a 20# tank. I did build a heat shield and am not an advocate of boiling your wort to the point of jumping out of the pot. BTW, the heat shield more than doubled the number of beers i could brew on a tank of gas.
What did you make your heat shield out of? Got any pics? Just curious what it looks like... I'd like to make something simple myself. I could see that helping a lot, latly I've been setting up garbage cans and stuff to block the wind, but I'd imagine a nice ring around the entire burner would be more helpful.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #18
specialkaye
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Yeah, I'd like to see that heat shield too. I've got one. A crappy factory heat shield designed with the litigation prone BMC drinkin' zombies in mind.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #19
Ichthy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'll do my best to describe the heat shield. I don't have any pics and will be away from the computer for a few days.

For reference here is my turkey fryer stand - http://www.masterbuilt.com/prod-propanefryers.html.

On each leg of the stand I drilled a hole and bolted on a piece of all thread to serve as a rest for the heat shield. The bottom of the heat shield sits just above the burner where it protrudes from the stand. I then obtained some roof flashing and rivets from Lowes. Measure the circumference of your pot (in my case I use the AL pot that came with the fryer). Roll out the flashing and cut a few extra inches so that the pot will easily slide in the heat shield. I have my heat shield extending all the way to the bottom of the pot handles which required that I stack (for lack of a better term) two pieces of flashing together to achieve my desired height. You then rivet the flashing together to make a cylinder. *VERY IMPORTANT - make sure that you cut the flashing long enough to account for the space required to rivet the pieces together or your shield will be too small to fit the kettle.

I then just rest the heat shield on the all-thread supports I attached to the fryer legs.

The pot handles will get very hot because all of the heat is going up the sides of the kettle and not blowing out the bottom. Be sure to use good oven mits when handling the kettle.

I hope this helps and if you've any more question feel free to ask. Though it may be a couple of days until I respond.

This whole project cost $8 and probably paid for itself in about 2 batches of beer. When I'm boiling the burner is down so low you can barely hear it running. This has greatly decreased my time to heat sparge and strike water as well. Not to mention saving a ton of money on propane.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:29 AM   #20
specialkaye
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
The pot handles will get very hot because all of the heat is going up the sides of the kettle and not blowing out the bottom. Be sure to use good oven mits when handling the kettle.

This has greatly decreased my time to heat sparge and strike water as well. Not to mention saving a ton of money on propane.
So, if I'm seeing this right, it's a tall narrow chimney extending below the burner up around the sides of the pot? Hmmmm....

I'm wondering if a half height version would be beneficial without super heating the handles? Might just have to try that. Thanks.

Quick Reply