Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brewery Upgrades (Kettle Size)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
rabeb25
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Brewery Upgrades (Kettle Size)

So I have decided its time for a new brew system. I have a single tier electric HERMS now with Keggles.
My biggest concern right now is kettle size. I primarily brew 5 gallon batches right now (I like variety over amount), but sprinkle in a few 10-12 gallon batches every now and then. However I recently co-started a brew club, and wouldn't mind brewing some club beers with it also. The most I would think now is a 1bbl batch.

So there is my Dilemma. I am considering switching over to a brutus 20 (modified with a HERMS) setup, to get down to 2 pots. It will still be electric (I think) and I was looking at the Blichmann's since I want this brew system to be in operation for quite awhile. But here is the question, can any one size of his pots accommodate all those batch sizes?

Thanks
Bryan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
RegionalChaos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Keep your setup that you run now and use it for the size batches you use it for now. Use the big pots for the big setup. Make the pumps easy to move around if you need to. Might be able to use the same control box for both units to if you planned it right.

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what...hamber-190459/

Old 04-24-2010, 02:58 AM   #3
Budzu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

If you're thinking brutus 20... try double brutus 20! I'd try to explain the idea but I've had a couple... here's a thread explaining it. Basically you can use your present 3 keg system to do a double brutus 20, double boil 24 gallon batch!
I will be attempting this May 8 and doing 2 24 gallon batches in a row.. wtf am I thinking..
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/revi...s-20-a-170775/

Quick Reply