Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew stand... giving it a go!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #41
mtmetzler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Crap, they are not dual locking. Thanks for the heads up! I will see if Granger has something similar to the bolt spacing I already used. Would hate to have to patch and re-drill.

One mans brew is another mans enjoyment!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #42
rekoob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I didn't use double locking casters on mine, however, if/when I change them out I will most likely get double locking. BUT, I have never had a problem with mine moving at all. It takes a little bit of man handling to get it to change direction when I move it around, once i get it in position for brewing I just make sure all the casters aren't pointed the same way. Again, not ideal but its working without any stand movement at all.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #43
mtmetzler
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekoob
I didn't use double locking casters on mine, however, if/when I change them out I will most likely get double locking. BUT, I have never had a problem with mine moving at all. It takes a little bit of man handling to get it to change direction when I move it around, once i get it in position for brewing I just make sure all the casters aren't pointed the same way. Again, not ideal but its working without any stand movement at all.
Thanks for the input. How are your casters fixed to the stand?

Old 08-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #44
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Nice pics... now mine is not made tubulare steal... it is made from perferated angle Iron... looks like an adult Erector Set.

On one end there are wheels like you would have on a grill... you pick-up one end and roll it around.

Easy to lift for two adults,, even me and a 14 years old could get it out aof a truck...

DPB

Old 08-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #45
socalboomer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Mine aren't double either and I've never had them move... I wouldn't worry about it unless you brew on a slope, lol.

Looks quite good!

On Tap: Chocolate Palomino Chocolate Oatmeal Porter
On Tap: Black Sand Foreign Extra Stout
On Tap: Gold Dust Pale
In Secondary: Gold Dust Pale (bottles conditioning)
In Secondary:
In Primary: O'Rally Red Amber
Next up: not sure yet

Old 08-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #46
mtmetzler
Recipes 

Who would have thought grinding could be so much fun! Man is this time consuming and when your done doesn't feel like you accomplished much. After completing the top surface and side first pass course grinding I figured I would add one corner piece for one of the kettles. All that said, not a huge update here but at least still making forward progress.

img_1487-1-.jpg   img_1488-1-.jpg   img_1490-1-.jpg   img_1491-1-.jpg   img_1489-1-.jpg  

Old 08-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #47
PorterBoy
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Looking good man. I used to run a 10" hand grinder all day sometimes so i know about the fun of grinding. I see you got some welders helpers in the pic(the big red magnets). Those are a big hep when fabbing stuff up. I used to use them every day at the plant. After this your going to want to start a fab shop eh?? I got part of my heat shields welded up on my stand this weekend. Will be finishing up my rims tube after vaca this week.

image-1858411837.jpg   image-1564768685.jpg   image-3164224964.jpg  

Old 08-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #48
mtmetzler
Recipes 

@PorterBoy

Your stand is looking AWESOME!

Yeah and I am only using a 4 1/2 in grinder. Was thinking of jumping up a bit to help speed up future grind sessions.. haha Your thought's?

Also, where did you get your sight glasses? They look awfully close to the ones BobbyM is selling. Smart call on the weldless versions as well. Here some stories about not so great welds and bacteria build up. At least those you can tear down when needed and get a good clean in.

Also, did you use sheet metal for corner braces? It is a bitch cutting tubing on a 45 with the chop saw I picked up from Harbor Freight. (I know what do you expect) Wondering on your thoughts here as well or at least a better way to cut 45's. The vise in my chop saw keeps allowing material to slide. I am finding my self spending about 20 min grinding the piece to even out the top an bottom to be square. Might just have to throw a 5" C clamp on it.

As always thanks for your help/suggestions.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #49
PorterBoy
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Well if you have a 9" grinder handy it will speed up material removal if you have alot of grinding but i wouldnt go out and get one just for this job. I used some 1/8" plate that i had laying around and just cut some gussets with a grinder and razor wheel. Seemed most of my heat was coming up through those spots. I only put them on the front as im not worried so much as the heat on the back as i am the front because my ball valves and sight glass i want to protect.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #50
mtmetzler
Recipes 

Gotcha and thanks, I have found the number of tools I have acquired the past few months is astounding. Just when you think you have everything, BAM there is something else you want/need (always really the want instead of the need). I picked up some 16ga sheet metal and will make some 10'' or so rings for the burners we picked up. These will sit inside the corners I am putting in now, so most if not all heat will be directed under the keggle.

Quick Reply