*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew stand... giving it a go!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #21
jclucca
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmetzler View Post
@jclucca

Nice! I was very intimidated at first, actually scared is more like it. Nothing between 10 to 15 gallons of boiling liquid than something I welded! That being said I worked on the top rails first since they will be held up by the legs directly. Gives me a few more welds in before moving on to the rest of the structure. Might not get back to it until this weekend, but it is definitely an awesome skill to learn. Tell you what, if Harbor Freight gives me a brand new replacement for my busted one, I'll sell it to you if you want. 15% cheaper than what they have it advertised.
Well, to be honest, I've got a buddy with a welder and lots of experience - which is the only reason I'm tackling this myself (ok, not myself - but you know what I mean). I think I'll just use his stuff for free and keep my budget as low as possible. Thanks for the offer, though!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #22
mtmetzler
Recipes 

Ok update from this weekend. Had a few hours on Sunday to head back to my rents garage to do some more work. Was able to "finish" welding the top of the stand to hold keggles and cooler. Attached a picture below. I left about a 18" gap between the HLT and the where the cooler will go. Not so sure heat plays nice with plastic! I left it so that in the future if I wanted to add another keggle I can just mount another burner. Hope I am able to built the support frame the next time I am down there. Moving slowly, but at least moving.

img_1413.jpg  

One mans brew is another mans enjoyment!

Old 07-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #23
brycelarson
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I've done a lot of metal projects (theatre) - and you guys are going big. I like 16 and 18 gauge for 1" square tube. It's quite strong. 1/8 and 11 ga is really overkill for a project like this.

As for wire speed / welder settings you want it to sound like frying bacon - constant sizzle sound.

oh, and metzler - that weld isn't that bad. you want it to look like a tiny stack of dimes pushed over - you got good penetration and a pretty decent looking bead.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #24
PorterBoy
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Looks good so far man. I also made mine out of 3/16 2x2 tubing because i had alot of it and like i seen in a previous post about my stand, I used the thicker stuff so i can drill an tap and bolt everything to the stand. If you and a couple buddies can bounce up and down on it without breaking it your welds should be good .

image-882517520.jpg  

Old 07-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #25
mtmetzler
Recipes 

@bry
Thanks it is a bit over kill, my next one won't be. I do have a question. Had a couple blow outs when welding the but joint against the radius corner of tubing. I turned down the heat a bit an added a bead angled more towards the solid tube vs the open end of the support piece. I then go back and add another bead to fuse the pieces together. Is that the right thing to be doing? I know the two vertical sides would be enough, but just hoping I am welding the tops correctly. I will grind the top and bottoms flat but want to be sure there is a good joint.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-16-2012, 11:44 PM   #26
jafo28
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Looks good so far, i'm planning on starting a new steel stand soon. I see you're from Jersey, and was wondering where you're getting your steel. I've heard good things about Fazio's down in Glassboro. Steel at Home Depot is way too expensive.

I also started welding with the HF welder, not to long ago I got a Hobart. Night and day difference.

Droop Stop Brewing Co. Founded July 2010

Old 07-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #27
mtmetzler
Recipes 

@jafo28
Yeah I'm originally from Berlin now Mount Laurel. As far as Fazio's it is a adult playground! They have everything and it is where I picked up my steel. Will definitely be going back there for more stuff. Where in Jersey are you from?

Old 07-17-2012, 12:14 AM   #28
mtmetzler
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorterBoy
Looks good so far man. I also made mine out of 3/16 2x2 tubing because i had alot of it and like i seen in a previous post about my stand, I used the thicker stuff so i can drill an tap and bolt everything to the stand. If you and a couple buddies can bounce up and down on it without breaking it your welds should be good .
Talk about a beefy set up! Haha nice job!!!

Old 07-17-2012, 12:58 AM   #29
jafo28
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
@jafo28
Yeah I'm originally from Berlin now Mount Laurel. As far as Fazio's it is a adult playground! They have everything and it is where I picked up my steel. Will definitely be going back there for more stuff. Where in Jersey are you from?
I'm in Burlington Twp. Thanks for the info, when I get to building i'll post some pics.

Droop Stop Brewing Co. Founded July 2010

Old 07-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #30
socalboomer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
@bry
Thanks it is a bit over kill, my next one won't be. I do have a question. Had a couple blow outs when welding the but joint against the radius corner of tubing. I turned down the heat a bit an added a bead angled more towards the solid tube vs the open end of the support piece. I then go back and add another bead to fuse the pieces together. Is that the right thing to be doing? I know the two vertical sides would be enough, but just hoping I am welding the tops correctly. I will grind the top and bottoms flat but want to be sure there is a good joint.

Thanks in advance!
that's probably the easiest place to get a blowout. You'll need to learn to adjust your speed and that will help. Another thing that helps is that you don't have to run a continuous bead... Run a couple of inches, then move to a different area and run a stitch there... Spreading out your stitches and then coming back will help.

Learning your machine's settings will also help.

I wouldn't do multiple beads like you described. Shouldn't hurt, and you're not going to put enough weight on it to really matter, but you should be able to do a single bead for a butt joint (unless it's more than 3/16", then you should start overlapping beads)

Turn down the heat, as you did, and 'wash' your puddle from the solid over onto the butt end... You'll do fine.

On Tap: Chocolate Palomino Chocolate Oatmeal Porter
On Tap: Black Sand Foreign Extra Stout
On Tap: Gold Dust Pale
In Secondary: Gold Dust Pale (bottles conditioning)
In Secondary:
In Primary: O'Rally Red Amber
Next up: not sure yet

Quick Reply