Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew stand... giving it a go!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #11
Tomtanner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmetzler
Dude that looks awesome! What dimensions are you using for the support diamonds to hold kettles. Also from the looks of things this is definitely 2" tubing correct (also what thickness did you use?). It looks like a tank and hope I can replicate what you have done. Thanks for the picture.
They are about 8.25 inches on their longest side. To be honest I didn't plan on doing them at all but I wasn't thoughtful enough on the front end with my measurements and my openings were 15 x 15 inches do I had to add the diamond design later to make it functional. Cutting and grinding and welding those suckers added about a month to the project. In the end they do look cool though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #12
Tomtanner
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

And yes I went with 2 inch tube. Mostly because it looked cool. Definitely overbuilt but I would do it this way again when I build another one.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #13
mtmetzler
Recipes 

Default a little more progress

OK, so after a short period of time... Fine over 3 months I have started my build. HAHA Cut the pieces yesterday morning and hoping to get some welding in over the weekend. Went with the 2" thicker gauge material. Currently making it 6' long, 17" deep, and 2' high. Will post some more pics as progress picks up. The legs I stood up against what will be the top. Bottom of stand is closest to you.

img_1374.jpg  

One mans brew is another mans enjoyment!

Old 07-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #14
mtmetzler
Recipes 

Default Stand update

It was over 100 degrees this weekend so I did not get as much done as I wanted, but at least finished a few things.

Welded the top frame and one cross brace for the first keggle.

You will also notice that I no longer am using my Chicago Electric 90amp welder. After laying down the first bead it crapped out on me, wire feed flat out stopped. Luckily I did buy the warranty so they are replacing it this evening with a brandy new one! I had some GC's, Store credit, plus 6 months free financing at HD so i got the Lincoln Weld Pak 140HD. Holy crap does a welder make a difference. Enjoy the pics, will post more as they become avail.

Still learning to weld as you will see from my joint, but had it looked at and is structurally sound, just not pretty!

img_1392.jpg   img_1393.jpg   img_1394.jpg   img_1395.jpg  

Old 07-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #15
jclucca
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I'm in the planning stages myself and have never picked up a welder. I'm subscribed so I can see how you progress. Best of luck.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #16
mtmetzler
Recipes 

@jclucca

Nice! I was very intimidated at first, actually scared is more like it. Nothing between 10 to 15 gallons of boiling liquid than something I welded! That being said I worked on the top rails first since they will be held up by the legs directly. Gives me a few more welds in before moving on to the rest of the structure. Might not get back to it until this weekend, but it is definitely an awesome skill to learn. Tell you what, if Harbor Freight gives me a brand new replacement for my busted one, I'll sell it to you if you want. 15% cheaper than what they have it advertised.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #17
rmaloney86
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Can I ask what series welder you are using. I'm using a stick right now but I'm a lot better with a MIG, looking to get one

Old 07-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #18
mtmetzler
Recipes 

I am currently using the Lincoln Weld Pak 140 HD that I got from Home Depot. It is an SMU (exclusive for HD) It was 5 times as much as the Chicago Electric model, but built so much better and can be used for Steel, Stainless Steel , or Aluminum. Was really hesitant in purchasing but I can already see myself building alot of things...
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/en_US/Products/literature/E739.pdf

The one I was using before it crapped out was the Chicago Electric 90 amp FCAW. It can only use Flux Core wire, not able to be used as a MIG setup.

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding/mig-flux-welders/90-amp-flux-wire-welder-68887.html

Old 07-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #19
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Wow,,, that is a heavy duty brew stand... mine is made up of Perferated Angle Iron I gor at Home Depot... No welder needed just some nuts and bolts.... it is much lighter than what I see here... There are wheels monted on one end like of a Weber Grill so once the Keggles are off of it it can easily be moverd around by one person...

Old 07-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #20
mtmetzler
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPBISME View Post
Wow,,, that is a heavy duty brew stand... mine is made up of Perferated Angle Iron I gor at Home Depot... No welder needed just some nuts and bolts.... it is much lighter than what I see here... There are wheels monted on one end like of a Weber Grill so once the Keggles are off of it it can easily be moverd around by one person...
Hey, curious on what the cost of your build was and if you are happy with it?

Quick Reply