New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stand Fails!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #41
HawksBrewer
Audible Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1023 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by conneryis007 View Post
I thought holy cow somebody was in mid brew when their stand collapsed!
This. Otherwise tl;dr.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #42
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksBrewer View Post
This. Otherwise tl;dr.
Really?
4 pages... Most replies are under 50 words each. Good grief. Are you here to learn something or just complain.

Back on topic.
I understand about the time is money thing. I wanted to try to build the FB just to see if I could make something worth while. It was more an experiment than anything else. Fortunately, my time paid off. I'm getting mid to upper 80's on efficiency and the FB flows VERY well.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:23 AM   #43
NewBrewB
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Instead of building a stand I bought 3 tier welded metal shelves from Lowez. $170 and perfect flexibility for height. I use it as single tier with 2 pumps and an electric setup but i think it could be used for 3 tier. Not mobile though.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:47 AM   #44
KellyL
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrooze View Post
Just a couple Qs. How high off the ground is the top of the MLT? Why did you make the shelf it rests on so tall?
The top of the MLT is 82.5" and the shelf is that tall so that it didn't hang over the keggles with no clearance to stir or work comfortably and in case I want to switch to direct fire in the future. It's 61.75" from the ground. It was supposed to be 60" but the casters ended up being a bit taller.

I needed it the stand to be fairly narrow for storage reasons and I figured it's a lot easier and cleaner to pump water for the mash up than it is to pump hot wort. I like that I can keep the pump clean and even if something gets in it, everything will be boiled afterwards.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:17 AM   #45
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojobently View Post
thought Id throw mine in the mix. I used old metal shelving rails so I could adjust the height if needed. Still need to buy a pump for the bottom kettle that is electric.
Where was the fail here?

So, I have been using a cheap plastic trash can flipped upside down. It's the perfect heigh to gravity drain into my kettle when its on the burner. The trash can is plastic with a set of wheels (you know what I'm talking about) so I added the wood bench to stabilize things a bit. I was brewing a large RIS so like 24lbs of grain in it. That batch was fine, decided to do second runnings for a smaller beer. Randomly, not touched at all, the trash can buckles, throws off the weight distribution and then entire 150* mash/second runnings come crashing down onto the garage... WHAT A MESS. Make sure anything hot and of weight is on a stable surface

Worst part... I still use this trash can every brewday hahah .... really need to build something more stable

Old 12-17-2012, 05:43 AM   #46
hepkat701
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwasbtd View Post

Where was the fail here?

So, I have been using a cheap plastic trash can flipped upside down. It's the perfect heigh to gravity drain into my kettle when its on the burner. The trash can is plastic with a set of wheels (you know what I'm talking about) so I added the wood bench to stabilize things a bit. I was brewing a large RIS so like 24lbs of grain in it. That batch was fine, decided to do second runnings for a smaller beer. Randomly, not touched at all, the trash can buckles, throws off the weight distribution and then entire 150* mash/second runnings come crashing down onto the garage... WHAT A MESS. Make sure anything hot and of weight is on a stable surface

Worst part... I still use this trash can every brewday hahah .... really need to build something more stable
Awesome FAIL story!!

Old 12-28-2012, 03:14 AM   #47
KellyL
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had visions of a potential fail today while brewing an extract batch. I was shaking down my stand and saw steam rolling out of the tubes with the open ends. This made me think about the vapor trapped in the welded tubes. I stopped the batch, let it cool a bit and got out the drill.

When I popped the steel, steam popped out at me and during the brew I occasionally saw steam come out of the holes. MAKE SURE YOUR STAND ISN'T COMPLETELY SEALED!

The rest of the afternoon I had visions of exploding tubing and trips to the hospital.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:52 AM   #48
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Reminds me of that story of the guy that had a keggle explode from trapped steam in the rolled bottom rim...

Old 12-28-2012, 06:40 AM   #49
snaps10
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Center pickup dip tube. I had really pretty soldered copper center pickups on my keggles. They worked flawlessly and I thought they were the bees knees, until I tried side pickups. I ended up cutting and resoldering my dip tubes to pick up off the side.

I wish I would have gone straight to a single tiered stand. It's just neater and cleaner, that goes a long way with SWMBO. I know it's not the cheaper option, but sometimes the cheaper option ends up not being the cheaper option in the long run.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #50
hepkat701
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Any new fails from 2013?!

Quick Reply