Brew Stand Decisions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rynolee

Reaction score
We're in the market to invest anywhere from $1200 - $2000 (maybe a little more if its the right one) for a new Brew Stand! We recently upgraded our equipment to 25 gallon SS kettles and debating to either build or not to build based on our budget. There's so many decisions that go into a brew stand that I am becoming overwhelmed.

Our primary goal is to build or buy a frame or system that will support our kettles and allow for a HERMS/RIMS upgrade in the future.

Based on my current research this is what I feel the brew stand must have:

2-Tier
Blichmann burners or equivalent
Support for 20" diameter kettles
Locking casters for moving and storage
Ability to allow for a shelf and attachments like water filter/additional pump/electrical system/etc.

These are the brew stands that I've viewed and liked:

The Mega Ruby
http://www.rubystreetbrewing.com/tp60/page.asp?ID=285167

A Better Brew Stand
http://abetterbrewstand.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=66

Synergy Brewing Stand
http://www.synergybrew.com/products/brewing-stands/

Blichmann TopTier
http://www.blichmannengineering.com/products/toptier-brew-stand-and-burners

Other Brew Stands I've seen and like but cannot afford:

MoreBeer
Spiedel
Brew Magic

If we were to build one, we don't know the first thing about welding. I've seen an 8020 weld-less aluminum extrusion brew stand that looked amazing and a few steel ones that are connected erector set style.

If we went down the DIY path, where can we find plans to build our own? If the details are good, I feel we can really make something great that's our own with the benefit of saving a few bucks. Welding isn't out of the question as long as I can find a welder in the local Sonoma Country, CA area.

Any help, suggestions, other stands that I haven't looked at yet, and mainly guidance would be much appreciated for our small home-brew setup to grow!

With that kinda budget just have a local shop weld up some 2" SS.. And you should still be under budget. 2" SS should run ya just under 500 bucks depending on your location. Find a welder and your set with change left in your pockets..

I would have to recommend against the Blichmann tower if you are planning on a pump. I have one with 2 burners 1 shelf a Theriminator and a March pump. While the tower is ok, the multiple levels are unnecessary with the pump. If all you have is gravity it's great (but I doubt you are 25 Gallon gravity transferring)
I got my set up for free, so it's tough to complain, but the whole multiple tier thing isn't the way to go. Single tier like a tippy dump or a two tier max is all that you need. Let the pump(s) do the work and get a flat surface that is not a over your head. Putting my 15 gallons high on the tower is sketchy enough (climbing a ladder for hop adds etc) let alone 25.
If I had to do it again a single tier would be my choice. I may just Ebay the tower and go to a welder as suggested above...

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I know the advantages of going stainless steel. But it seems like the cost would skyrocket based on 2" ss pricing: http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=2229&step=4&showunits=inches&id=23&top_cat=0

How much material would I need? Most stands that I've seen have lengths of around 72" (x4 for the frame) plus all the vertical and horizontal cuts to build it. Seems like the costs alone might be 800-1000 plus welding. This wouldn't include burners, plumbing, etc.

Is there a resource for DIY brew stands dimensions?

When you buy stainless from a real brick and mortar metal supply it is much cheaper. I was looking at around $250 for 1.5" square 304 for my stand. I ended up building with mild steel because I wasn't set on a design yet. I'm going to probably build it again before I am done. If you were local I could build you a stand for $1000 total. It would take about a day to do and would all tig welded. I keep thinking I need to get into the Brew stand business.

Where can I find measurements and plans for building a brew stand. We're thinking of going down that path but would like some guidance?

2-tier to accommodate 25 gallon 20" diameter kettles

Where can I find measurements and plans for building a brew stand. We're thinking of going down that path but would like some guidance?

2-tier to accommodate 25 gallon 20" diameter kettles

They're all over the net, but I think you'll find what I did which is...your custom stand should be custom designed for your specific equipment/uses. Measure your pots, burners etc....and design your top profile according to those requirements. Design your height to your desired levels (if you're using 2 pumps I highly suggest a single tier), and then sketch it all out with the important measurements on the drawing. If it's not sturdy enough/needs reinforcement, your welder will know and surely point it out, but it all starts with the size of your pots, and which stand setup (single tier, two tier, triple tier (don't do this with 25G batches is my suggestion) and tippy dump. A tippy dump might be more expensive, and you'll have to print up pictures of it to take to your welder for help designing it.

Thanks jbaysurfer! I am also looking at other threads on hbt that contain a parts list to get a good idea of length and material used. I'm thinking we can go the route of unistrut and assemble it ourselves with angle brackets until I find and call a local welder.

Welding is a great skill. Just saved $1400 for exhaust work on the kid's car.

I welded my brewstand after maybe 4 hours of practice welding. If I waited until 8 hours it would have been a bit nicer.

Custom additions for the stand are a snap with a welder. Heat shields, pump brackets, splash guards, shelving, custom adjustable burner holders, etc..

Stainless can be tricky to weld with arc welding so I would suggest using mild steel which is cheaper anyways.

Having a welding outlet makes for an easy conversion to electric brewing down the road.

Just a follow up from my OP. We ended up constructing a strut channel stand and after sourcing all the hardware, we were able to put it together (without welding) in about 8 hours. We had to cut down some pieces to mount the burners, which took some additional time.

All-in-all, it turned out really well. Single Tier stand, 3 Blichman burners, and everything else is custom including the manifold, mounts, and dimensions of used. We wanted to go really short but still allow for clearance for the pumps, etc.

We will be brewing sometime next month after we have everything else mounted and finished.

IMG_2336.jpg

Just a follow up from my OP. We ended up constructing a strut channel stand and after sourcing all the hardware, we were able to put it together (without welding) in about 8 hours. We had to cut down some pieces to mount the burners, which took some additional time.

All-in-all, it turned out really well. Single Tier stand, 3 Blichman burners, and everything else is custom including the manifold, mounts, and dimensions of used. We wanted to go really short but still allow for clearance for the pumps, etc.

We will be brewing sometime next month after we have everything else mounted and finished.

That looks great man.

Yes! We decoupled the propane connection quite easily and used the hose to connect to the manifolds needle nose valves. I'll try to get a picture of that as we mounted everything last week!

Here's the brew stand completely assembled with the blichmann gas tubing attached directly to the needle nose valves of the manifold after decoupling them from the propane end.

image.jpg

Totally cool. I love it. It looks a lot like my setup actually. Mine also includes three blich burners, but I have (3) 15 gal morebeer kettles (as opposed to the smaller BK - I assume) and instead of building a stand and mounting the burners I just purchased an SS table to set it all on and to mount my pumps on. You're making me want to post some pics too.

One thing I would recommend though, speaking from some experience now, is to install "tee" fittings on the pumps with extra ball valves to bleed the air (as pictured on the morebeer site with the fully setup pumps). I have SS head march pumps and it was a pain getting them to pump before I did this. Burned my hand pretty good one day pulling apart the QDs to purge, then promptly ordered the tees and it's been a breeze ever since.

Cheers! Thanks for sharing the system!

Nice job! How did you come out on budget?

Dave

KC

The stainless steel top of the stand and blichmann burners were the most expensive. But I came in about where I thought I would, which allowed me to invest in some great tubing and stainless steel brew equipment I wanted.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409065288.434465.jpg

Totally cool. I love it. It looks a lot like my setup actually. Mine also includes three blich burners, but I have (3) 15 gal morebeer kettles (as opposed to the smaller BK - I assume) and instead of building a stand and mounting the burners I just purchased an SS table to set it all on and to mount my pumps on. You're making me want to post some pics too.

One thing I would recommend though, speaking from some experience now, is to install "tee" fittings on the pumps with extra ball valves to bleed the air (as pictured on the morebeer site with the fully setup pumps). I have SS head march pumps and it was a pain getting them to pump before I did this. Burned my hand pretty good one day pulling apart the QDs to purge, then promptly ordered the tees and it's been a breeze ever since.

Cheers! Thanks for sharing the system!

Please do!!!!

Here is what I built and brewed it's first batch March 2014

What I would change. Mainly make it a 2 tier. I am now to the point of an electric HLT and herms so I don't need those 2 burners and I would like to gravity grain into the BK rather than pump for some reason. I doubt I change it anytime soon, but that is where I am at as of today.

smugshot_4657099-XL.jpg

View attachment 225889

Still got work to do but here it is! The surgery table.

Is it really a surgery table? I've been entertaining this idea for awhile. I'm sure you plan on plumbing your burners all into the same gas line as some of you "yet to finish" work?

The catch for me is finding the right table at the right price. If I could find something used like this it'd be golden! (well..stainless!)

Lol...no...sandwich prep table actually. $250 on Craig's.

Yes, plumb in the gas and make a control box with switches for the pumps...hating the plug/unplug scenario I'm dealing with now. Then a tower of power and maybe a nice sparge arm instead of the hose with slits.

Can't complain though....it works pretty dang good.

30bones...I hear you on the gravity feed...balancing two pumps is tough. Maybe an auto sparge one day to handle that.....this stuff isn't cheap though!

Lol...no...sandwich prep table actually. $250 on Craig's.

Yes, plumb in the gas and make a control box with switches for the pumps...hating the plug/unplug scenario I'm dealing with now. Then a tower of power and maybe a nice sparge arm instead of the hose with slits.

Can't complain though....it works pretty dang good.

I don't know how far off you are, but I got a couple of these plugged into a power strip protected by GFCI and I just use them as switches. It's not as trick as a panel, but it works pretty well:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009LD6XH6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
30bones...I hear you on the gravity feed...balancing two pumps is tough. Maybe an auto sparge one day to handle that.....this stuff isn't cheap though!
I recently added an auto sparge and am figuring it out. I usually only run one pump at a time. I don't plan to recirc my HLT once it's electrified, just the mash

Well done! Looks super clean. I'm not sure that I have talent to build one, but this helps me consider it.

Back