Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew rig questions?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2007, 02:54 PM   #1
tbulger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Brew rig questions?

Im currently constructing my brew rig. I have my bedframes cut, my march pump, kettles, mashtun and brass quick disconnects from mcmaster-carr. I am doing a single tier one pump batch sparge system like bobby m.

Whats the best high temp tubing to use with the pump?

I am going to use two lengths of hose connected to the pump. On each end of the hoses there will be female disconncts. which will meet male peices on the bk, mt, Hlt, resturn manifold and whirlpool apparatus.
To connect the hose to the pump i was going to use 1/2 hose barbs (probably brass for now) to the inlet and a ball valve on the outlet.

Should i be worried about threading metal onto the plastic threads of the march pump? Should i just thread the ball valve directly to the pump on the outlet side?

Will recirculating boiling wort through the whirlpool chiller be sufficient for sanitizing?

primaries: BRown Ale
secondaries: Rye IPA
Bottled: IPA, Pigs ear brown clone, stovepipe porter, German Alt, Oktober fest ale, Smoked IPA, failed pale ale, 1st AG ESB, belgian wit, Ipa#2, , Lake wheat, fish Red ale, Smoked wheat,
KEGS: blonde Nugs , Sugar pale light, chin nook ale (gone in 1 week)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2007, 05:47 PM   #2
AGBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

silicone
no
yes

Old 12-29-2007, 11:54 PM   #3
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I agree with AGBrewer, but to expand on a point or two...

Use teflon tape on the fittings that you mate to the plastic pump head. It's not absolutely required, but will help seal without over tightening.

what kind of chiller you planning to use?

Old 12-30-2007, 02:03 AM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 983 Times on 655 Posts
Likes Given: 28

It sounds like he's going immersion chiller with a pumped whirlpool like Jamil.

I've been running my pump without a throttling valve on the output but perhaps I will have to in order to slow down mash recirculation. I've only used the pump to go from kettle, through CFC, into fermenter.

I recirc the wort through the pump and chiller back into the kettle for the last 5 minutes of the boil to sanitize it all. No problems.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply