New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew-Magic Basement Brewery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
scratchy1971
Urinal Cake Aficionado
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Brew-Magic Basement Brewery

OK, this my first post to HBT. Been brewing for seven years now, mostly AG using coolers. We bought a larger house that has a full basement, so I now can dedicate some space for a brew room.

As you can see, the cornerstone of the operation will be the Brew-Magic system which I purchased this summer. After a few brews with it on the back patio, I moved it downstairs once winter kicked-in. I had spent countless hours researching what setup I wanted (build a BRUTUS, electric, just buy the Brew-Magic frame and do the rest myself, etc.). But, decided the best way for me to proceed once considering my DIY skill level and time, was to buy a system (I cannot weld or do advanced electrical). Choose to go with SABCO since I live in Ohio and could go pick it up to avoid freight. And, I really believe it is an excellent setup.

Choose this part of the basement since it has a floor drain and a tie-in to the main drain line. Also, has a window, is close to plumbing and gas lines. On the down side, the HVAC is also located here, which will complicate the ventilation a little.

I have been looking for used SS vent hoods, but most of what I find at restaurant auctions is either the wrong size, or has Ansul already built in and are pricey. My father-in-law has a farm in Kansas and his neighbor does some SS work, so sent him the specs. and waiting for him to get back to me on cost. Plan is to mount the hood on the joist on the back wall, use an inline fan mounted between the joists and cut a hole behind it to vent right to the back of the house. But, with the HVAC in the same area, I will most likely need to rig some type of make-up air. In addition, there is a lot of wiring running right where I would need to mount the duct and fan. So, still some things to work out.

As for other amenities, I want to find a used commercial SS double or triple bowl sink and maybe an SS table. I keep looking at closed restaurant auctions, and I will find the right one at some point.

I was also thinking of a used commercial fridge for lagering, and maybe build a closet to use for fermentation. But, have not worked all that out yet.

Anyway, I know this is a long post, but if anyone has any suggestions or idea's on what you would do, it would sure be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #2
optimatored
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My advice would be to contact Brew Magic to see what they recommend for CFM to ensure no health risks... then your local town to ensure you are up to code. That's my nickel.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Keg1: Saison
Keg2: Altbier
Bottled: RIS

On Deck: IPA, Dunkel, Doppelbock

Old 02-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
bmick
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah, and if you're dead-set on running a gas setup indoors, I'd get several CO detectors in addition to a good ventilation solution. A lot of those burners are designed pretty inefficiently (meaning throw a lot of CO) assuming that people will be using them outdoors.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
Duckdog
Recipes 

Try a local heating and cooling shop for an exhaust hood and ventilation help. The company I work for makes hoods quite often for various ventilation projects. Good luck.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
scratchy1971
Urinal Cake Aficionado
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info folks. SABCO's web page says the system is rated for indoor commercial use, but they recommend checking with you local fire codes. They do not recommend any specific vent setup or CFM's. I even spoke to Bob Sulier when I went to pick it up and asked him about it. He basically said the same thing, which I understand why.

Speaking of the visit, it was really neat. Bob took me on a quick tour of the shop, then he brought me into the conference room where a system was set up. Walked me through the basic process and components. Really nice guy, even showed me a prototype they were working on. Guys in the shop seemed to really enjoy working there. They loaded it in the minivan for me and off I went, smiling the whole way back to Columbus.

Anyways, I know that proper ventilation is the most critical phase in setting up a basement brewery using an NG appliance like this. So, I am taking my time and will make sure it is right.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
beach
Recipes 

And as you mentioned, make up air is also critical, especially given the cfm's you'll be moving. Looking at your furnace I assume your water heater is gravity draft also. Without make up air you'll suck those combustion gasses right out of the appliances.

Beach

Hope Springs Eternal- Go Cubs Go!

Michiana Grain & Extract Association at: www.mega-brew.com

Old 02-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
scratchy1971
Urinal Cake Aficionado
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach
And as you mentioned, make up air is also critical, especially given the cfm's you'll be moving. Looking at your furnace I assume your water heater is gravity draft also. Without make up air you'll suck those combustion gasses right out of the appliances.

Beach
Absolutely Beach. Once I get the hood, fan and speed control installed, I will start experimenting with the air flow and see how how bad the vacuum is. Most likely, I will need a second inline fan to provide the make-up. So, my thinking right now is to fabricate a panel that will replace the window screen. Panel will have a connection to an insulated PVC pipe or duct that will carry the fresh air along the top of the wall and down below the brew rig. I need to devise a way to diffuse the air under the rig so a nice wide column of fresh air rises up, taking the fumes and moisture out through the hood. But, it cannot disrupt the burners. The diffuser will need to have a quick disconnect so it can be stored when not in use. The goal is to provide adequate make-up air while still leaving the room comfortable in in winter and summer.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:14 AM   #8
scratchy1971
Urinal Cake Aficionado
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Added a big-ass used commercial sink from Craig's list. Thing is almost nine feet long.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:48 AM   #9
BIGREDIOWAN
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

See I've thought about going with gas indoors as I have a natural gas line I can splice into without issue. It just has an end cap on it, but I'm very concerned about the ventilation issues. Don't really feel like blowing my house off it's foundation. lol

"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it's a matter of choice!"

Bottled:Kolsch
Bottled:Black Lager
In Primary:Pumpkin Ale
Planning:

Rolling Hills Brewing Co.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-mother-son-fermentation-build-261067/

Old 03-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #10
scratchy1971
Urinal Cake Aficionado
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGREDIOWAN
See I've thought about going with gas indoors as I have a natural gas line I can splice into without issue. It just has an end cap on it, but I'm very concerned about the ventilation issues. Don't really feel like blowing my house off it's foundation. lol
Yeah, that would be a bad day.

The problem with venting a system like this is finding a hood big enough for a decent price. Almost all of the used hoods are Type I, that are used for grease. Which is perfectly fine to use brewing, it's just many of them have fire suppression systems built-in, or are huge. So, the used prices for a type I hood are close enough to a new type II hood (condensate) to where you can't justify buying used.

I have contacted a couple of welding shops and I am waiting to hear back. Well see, maybe I will get lucky on CG.

Quick Reply