Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew In A Bag RIMS system

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2011, 04:43 AM   #1
McTarnamins
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
McTarnamins's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 254
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Brew In A Bag RIMS system

I deleted my old thread because frankly I got bored of it.

I love the brew in a bag technique but I hate the temp control of the mash. I was going to brew a Brutus 10 clone but wanted more flexibility and didn't wan't to abandon the simplicity of the BIAB. I don't know if anyone has built a Recirculating BIAB system yet; regardless, here is my attempt.

I will also be able to do two five gallon batches or one 10 gallon batch depending on how I route the flow. See attached pics for concept and build.

Comments and critiques appreciated.

Figure 8 flow for 10 gallon batch. Grains split between brew pots


Individual flow for two seperate 5 gallon batches


Google sketchup design...Solidworks license expired


Stainless frame - still need burners, t-couples, solenoids, PID, and pumps.

__________________
Keg 1 : Belgian IPA
Keg 2 : Oktoberfest Lager (currently lagering)
Keg 3 : Tap Cleaning Fluid
Keg 4 :
Conical Left:
Conical Right:American Wheat (7-day G2G)
On Deck: Pumpkin Ale, Apocalypso Ale (AHB)

"Save your sack; Brew in a Bag"
McTarnamins is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
MalFet's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NYC / Kathmandu
Posts: 8,178
Liked 1216 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 554

Default

I have an indoor stovetop system that started out as a brew-in-a-bag but has gradually evolved beyond recognition. Like yours, it's a direct-fire RIMS. The whole thing operates off of a single vessel so I use the nylon bag to help with clean-up, but considering that I sparge, recirculate, and have a false bottom it's tough to properly call it a BIAB anymore.

In any case, this looks nice. I like the rotating nozzle idea in particular. Are you going to use electronically controlled flow meters, or just eyeball the numbers?

__________________
MalFet is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 07:37 PM   #3
McTarnamins
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
McTarnamins's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 254
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet View Post
I have an indoor stovetop system that started out as a brew-in-a-bag but has gradually evolved beyond recognition. Like yours, it's a direct-fire RIMS. The whole thing operates off of a single vessel so I use the nylon bag to help with clean-up, but considering that I sparge, recirculate, and have a false bottom it's tough to properly call it a BIAB anymore.

In any case, this looks nice. I like the rotating nozzle idea in particular. Are you going to use electronically controlled flow meters, or just eyeball the numbers?
I plan to use Rotometer type flow meters. I'm worried that if I eyeball it then one pot will have a thinner mash than the other. I think the first couple runs I'll just make a single 5 Gallon batch and not the 10 Gallon option.

I used to use a mash tun and do the single infusion mash but BIAB is by far the cleanest, simplest, and fastest method for all grain....and my recipes are as good as if not better than the single infusion mash. Hopefully the recirculation will clear up some of the wort but the end product has been as bright as ever.

Thanks for your feedback.
__________________
Keg 1 : Belgian IPA
Keg 2 : Oktoberfest Lager (currently lagering)
Keg 3 : Tap Cleaning Fluid
Keg 4 :
Conical Left:
Conical Right:American Wheat (7-day G2G)
On Deck: Pumpkin Ale, Apocalypso Ale (AHB)

"Save your sack; Brew in a Bag"
McTarnamins is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
MalFet's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NYC / Kathmandu
Posts: 8,178
Liked 1216 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 554

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTarnamins View Post
I plan to use Rotometer type flow meters. I'm worried that if I eyeball it then one pot will have a thinner mash than the other. I think the first couple runs I'll just make a single 5 Gallon batch and not the 10 Gallon option.

I used to use a mash tun and do the single infusion mash but BIAB is by far the cleanest, simplest, and fastest method for all grain....and my recipes are as good as if not better than the single infusion mash. Hopefully the recirculation will clear up some of the wort but the end product has been as bright as ever.

Thanks for your feedback.
Are you manually adjusting flow, or somehow attaching the rotameter to a logic circuit? Do you plan to sparge at all? I get very bright wort from my setup, but I think part of that is from draining the wort off into a bucket.
__________________
MalFet is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 10:23 PM   #5
McTarnamins
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
McTarnamins's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 254
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet View Post
Are you manually adjusting flow, or somehow attaching the rotameter to a logic circuit? Do you plan to sparge at all? I get very bright wort from my setup, but I think part of that is from draining the wort off into a bucket.
I will adjust the flow with ball valves on the output of the pumps; the rotometer will only indicate that the gallons-per-minute of the two pumps are the same so I have steady state conditions. I will not sparge but just recirculate, something my current brew in a bag system does not have. Even though my efficiencies are good I have very poor temperature control now. This is why I have the PID controlled direct fire burners on my new BIAB10 system.

I let the bag of wet grain drain into a bucket after I pull out the bag but I do not sparge the grain any further, this is something I should consider; good idea thx.

Cheers,
__________________
Keg 1 : Belgian IPA
Keg 2 : Oktoberfest Lager (currently lagering)
Keg 3 : Tap Cleaning Fluid
Keg 4 :
Conical Left:
Conical Right:American Wheat (7-day G2G)
On Deck: Pumpkin Ale, Apocalypso Ale (AHB)

"Save your sack; Brew in a Bag"
McTarnamins is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 02:34 AM   #6
McTarnamins
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
McTarnamins's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 254
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

My BIAB only brew rig is coming together. Attached are a couple pics of the rig and a test run of the burner. The solenoids, March 809, and flow meters will be here next week. The pot in the middle will be for dunk sparging and will be ported and have a false bottom for recirculating for a couple minutes before it's pumped up to the brew kettle. It will also have a dedicated burner that is not temp controlled.



__________________
Keg 1 : Belgian IPA
Keg 2 : Oktoberfest Lager (currently lagering)
Keg 3 : Tap Cleaning Fluid
Keg 4 :
Conical Left:
Conical Right:American Wheat (7-day G2G)
On Deck: Pumpkin Ale, Apocalypso Ale (AHB)

"Save your sack; Brew in a Bag"
McTarnamins is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 04:06 PM   #7
The_Dog_42
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
The_Dog_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 479
Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Maybe I don't quite get how the direct fired Brutus 10 works, but how does the solenoid create the spark to ignite the burner?

I like the setup though, it makes a lot of sense to me to recirculate a BIAB. Although I probably wouldn't use a false bottom as well because I'm cheap.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANSTAAFB
My 10 yr old chocolate lab Guinness :D thinks her name is goddammit dog or fu@%in' puppy...I think if she were registerable :drunk: her full name would Goddammit Guinness Stop It...Go Away!!! And we Love her dearly :)
My Keg-O-Vision (Kegerator) Build

My Butcherblock-esque Fermentation Chamber
The_Dog_42 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #8
wyzazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Atwater, OH
Posts: 4,263
Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Maybe for the pumps you could go with something peristaltic? I know I've seen some dual headed pumps on ebay and even in the classified section here at one point. That would give you a matched flow rate with now guesswork.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)
wyzazz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2011, 01:32 AM   #9
McTarnamins
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
McTarnamins's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 254
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Pumps are mounted and gas is getting plummed on the automated BIAB system. Couple more weeks now. Wiring will be the hard part for me.



__________________
Keg 1 : Belgian IPA
Keg 2 : Oktoberfest Lager (currently lagering)
Keg 3 : Tap Cleaning Fluid
Keg 4 :
Conical Left:
Conical Right:American Wheat (7-day G2G)
On Deck: Pumpkin Ale, Apocalypso Ale (AHB)

"Save your sack; Brew in a Bag"
McTarnamins is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #10
wyzazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Atwater, OH
Posts: 4,263
Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Those wouldn't happen to be LG 3-MD-HC pumps would they? I love mine!

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)
wyzazz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RIMS System Schematics ocluke DIY Projects 25 02-17-2011 02:35 AM
Almost done with my RIMS System HolyGhostBrew DIY Projects 5 02-16-2011 02:08 PM
RIMS System processhead DIY Projects 9 01-23-2011 03:43 AM
Help with RIMS system Homercidal DIY Projects 12 02-01-2010 04:03 PM
Thermostat for new RIMS system Don DIY Projects 6 06-20-2009 12:12 AM