Brass propane orifice to hard pipe connection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBrewFoSho

Reaction score
So I got in my Banjo burners which are being converted to NG via drilling out the brass orifice. The problem is, I wanted to go all solid black pipe. Does anyone know if there is something out there to connect the brass orifice(looks like a flare fitting) to the black pipe? Is there some sort of coupling that will do that? Has anyone done this or does everyone just use a section of flex pipe?

Copper tubing and some flare fittings.

FamilyBrewday2009004.jpg

I think anyone doing this would be better off going with this orifice from Mcmaster-Carr.com 2712T433
The Hurricane website says the orifice is .030 and the one from MMC is .029 which is going to get drilled out anyways I'm just not sure how big or else you could just buy the correct size. It could be around .050 for natural gas but it all depends on the pressure you have at your stand so everyone is going to be different.

I just went to acehardware and they have everything the tejassmokers site had. I still think I'm going to order the fitting from mmc just for less connections and it will be shorter of these huge burners

Anyone ever thought/tried to use a 1/4" brass needle valve in place of the orifice. I wonder if it would adjust in small enough increments?

Just a little update. I'm not sure why no one else has ever mentioned this but it was a kind of duhhhh moment for me. I took the brass orifice that came with the burner, screwed it into a 3/8-1/2 brass npt bushing. Obviously it didn't seal with the threads because the brass orifice is SAE thread or something, so I just brazed it inside and out. Pretty much made my own brass fitting that goes straight from burner to 1/2 black pipe in about and inch and a half. Way better than any other options I have seen.

That 3/8 female flare end should not have sealed onto NPT threads of black pipe though right? Those threads don't gradually get closer like NPT. That flare fitting is made to butt up against a female flare, not seal via the threads. That piece that you have the link to is what my burner came with.

oh, i didnt read your previous post carefully enough. The fit wasnt great, but it worked. I just teflon taped and forced it in. Its not like the entire pressure of the gas line is on that seal, so i wasnt too worried about it.

Although, I did eventually resort to using the 3/8 in yellow flexible gas line for appliances (which is flared) because I wanted to be able to adjust the height of my burner...

Yeah , it's not the right threads but that's why brazing it together seals them up, no need for the flexible gas line or other fittings.

Hard plumbing is pretty tough. Why not keep it simple and clean looking. Yellow flex. No need to reinvent the wheel.

gas2.jpg

My last burner has yellow flex. When i raised my burners it freed up and gave me some slack which made for a cleaner bend.

My last burner has yellow flex. When i raised my burners it freed up and gave me some slack which made for a cleaner bend.

I appreciate the pic , and don't take offense because it's just my opinion, but I wouldn't say the yellow flex line is a "clean" look. I'm also having my burners stick straight out and making my stand "fit" the burners so they don't like like huge burners jammed under a little stand. Then again , it's because I have the space in my garage where the size of the cart being a couple inches bigger isn't going to matter which isn't the case for everyone. Plus brazing 3 - 50cent bushings was A LOT cheaper. Probably even easier than running to the store to buy flex lines :mug:

Sounds like you have a good plan. The cool thing about this project is its all yours. Your rig sounds like it will be nice. 1000 ways to skin a cat.

Sounds like you have a good plan. The cool thing about this project is its all yours. Your rig sounds like it will be nice. 1000 ways to skin a cat.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm hoping to finish welding the stand (at least tack welded) tonight. I'm sure I'll start a little "hey look at my stand" thread :)

Hard plumbing is pretty tough. Why not keep it simple and clean looking. Yellow flex. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Snake, Those yellow coated steel hoses (presumably Brasscraft brand) are they 3/8" Female flare on each end? If so where'd you get those?

The banjo burner orifice is 3/8 male flare so from your picture it looks to be directly connected to the hose. I've been looking for 3/8" female flared hoses to use on my rig but my Lowes and Homedepot only carry the 1/2" female flared ones (with the additional 1/2" NPT fittings of course).

--
Josh

Josh,
I will have to go look at my rig. I'm on the road right now. While at the true value, the guy showing me the flex, opened the package, took off the end fitting, reducing it to fit the orifice exactly. Open the package, its a zip lock.

Back