New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Bottom Drain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
adivito
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottom Drain

As I am sketching up my new design I was thinking about bottom draining keggles. What does everyone think; bottom drain, or typical front with dip tube? These will be all electric. Opinions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2011, 11:23 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3858 Times on 2819 Posts
Likes Given: 644

I like my bottom drain electric HLT. For the BK, that might work if I had a good false bottom to screen out break material and hops debris, but I"m happy with a ballvalve on the side for my BK and MLT.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:22 AM   #3
JohnTheBrewist
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm working on the same thing myself for my new all-electric system. All three of my kegs will be bottom drain using the original opening and a tri-clamp fitting as the drain (cutting out the bottom, instead of the top). I'm making false bottoms for the mlt and bk, and have screen gaskets to keep out anything that slips by.

I bought 2" tri-clamp to 1/2" male npt fittings from KLG stainless on ebay, then ss 1/2" npt elbows and straight pipe from McMaster. I haven't figured out how yet, but I then plan to connect my 3 pump manifold to the valves on each keg with tri-clamps.

I'm going to use ss square tubing to attach legs to the bottom, since it won't be able to sit flush, and I want to be able to move the kegs around for cleaning, etc.

Somewhere between
your liver and spleen
its always clear
for one more beer!

Old 04-14-2011, 01:51 AM   #4
jfkriege
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have bottom drains on both my MLT and BK (I dont have an HLT), and I will never do without them again.

For the MLT, it is a great way to improve efficiency by eliminating deadloss. And for both kettles, it makes cleanup about as easy as it can be. I run a scrubby and some water over the inside surfaces of the kettle, rinse them out with the bottom drain going to a bucket, and I am done. It really is incredibly nice.

One other thing that might be of interest: have recently stopped whirlpooling to get out all of the hop and break material. In stead I recirculate, using a pump, through a paint strainer bag for about 3-5 minutes. I then cool as normal, and catch the rest of the material on the transfer with another strainer bag. This is easy to do, inexpensive, and saves me about 45 minutes on my brew day. I can be done with the transfer and pitching yeast 15-20 minutes after cutting power to the elements and starting cooling.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:54 AM   #5
Gwitz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My MT has always had a bottom drain, which has been amazing. I just recently added a bottom drain to my BK. If you can bottom drain, its worth it, i may end up bottom draining my hlt to.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:08 AM   #6
JuanMoore
SACD
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3180 Times on 3088 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I have bottom drains on my HLT and MLT and love them. I don't bottom drain in my BK because I whirlpool.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
Atl300zx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i have bottom drain on my HLT and love it

Bottles: Triple Berry Apple Cider, Cote Apple Cider, Wild Blackberry Apple Cider, Dim Wit II, Mighty Porter
Kegs: 4Cs IPA - The Diamond Standard, Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Clone.
On Deck: The "Three Stouts", Wild Blackberry Mead, Irish Red

Jaded Spirits DIY Stirplate
Blog @ JadedSpirits.com
Blog @ HBT

Old 04-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #8
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
I have bottom drains on my HLT and MLT and love them. I don't bottom drain in my BK because I whirlpool.
You could whirlpool and have an off-centered bottom drain if you so desired.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 04-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #9
sasky7777
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierHerr View Post
I'm working on the same thing myself for my new all-electric system. All three of my kegs will be bottom drain using the original opening and a tri-clamp fitting as the drain (cutting out the bottom, instead of the top). I'm making false bottoms for the mlt and bk, and have screen gaskets to keep out anything that slips by.

I bought 2" tri-clamp to 1/2" male npt fittings from KLG stainless on ebay, then ss 1/2" npt elbows and straight pipe from McMaster. I haven't figured out how yet, but I then plan to connect my 3 pump manifold to the valves on each keg with tri-clamps.

I'm going to use ss square tubing to attach legs to the bottom, since it won't be able to sit flush, and I want to be able to move the kegs around for cleaning, etc.
My plan is almost the same thing. I think I might go triclamp to reducer to ball valve to elbow to camlock QD. I want the valve closer to the kettle to reduce the amount of liquid in the piping. Going to do this for all three keggles. I will build a table for a brew stand and just leave cutouts for the bottom of the keggle so they sit flat on the table. That's the plan at least.

BierHerr which screen gaskets are you using? I was thinking http://www.gvc.net/p/96/40-mesh-screen-gaskets, the 40 mesh 2" silicone.

Last edited by sasky7777; 04-14-2011 at 02:53 PM.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #10
Mose
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a two vessel system and both the MT and BK are bottom drain. I've only brewed on it once but it was awesome. I cut holes in a table, attached the triclamps and 90* elbows with SS extensions that come out of the skirt on the table. I love mine so far.

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid" John Wayne

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" JFK

Quick Reply