LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
jonbomb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Bottling bucket tweaking

I have an ale pail bottling bucket that I have used for 3 - 4 batches. I wanted to get rid of that junky valve that comes with the bucket. You know, the orange/red valve that works horribly. I was looking for something a little more stable. Maybe something that doesn't clog or actually can drain all of the fluid from the bucket to make it easier for me.

I feel like every time I bottle there is a problem with this. Iether the leaf hops get all jammed up in the bucket or I have to tilt it forward to try and get everything out.

I remember seeing on here a nice metal valve someone created with a nice lever and what not. Anyone think they can give me a list of items I can buy to put it all together??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

No valve will drain ALL the beer out as is....even the ball valves we add to our kettles and mash tuns leave stuff behind. But we minimize it as best we can by using a dip tube, like the one I show in my bottling thread.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bott...ebrewer-94812/

I get an average of 52 beers out of my standard orange handled bucket valve by using a long primary which compresses the yeast cake and allows more beer to come out of primary into the bucket AND my dip tube. I leave about 4 ounces behind.

I do agree about having some sort of hop filter in it, but I've found that that seems to clog worse then a properly laid out dip tube with only the tiniest gap for the beer to flow through. Again I have found that long primary EVEN with dryhopping in primary tends to reduce the amount of hop goop carried over, though if I chose to rack to a secondary even as an intermediate step, that would further leave behind the hops, BUT would run the risk of oxydizing the beer....so it's a balance.

But really, the dip tube has worked successfully for me and other brewers for years. Even with the plastic valve....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I don't even have a spickit on my bottling bucket, just a hose barb. The bottle filler has a valve that works just fine.

I think I'll have another pint of this highly flawed beer because it's so damned good.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
jtrainer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Take a look at my write up... I love my fermenters with the bottling spigots installed...

http://ipb.trainerfamily.net/pagesmith/4

The spigot makes kegging a dream... Read more on that here:

http://ipb.trainerfamily.net/pagesmith/8

I brew the best beer around.... don't believe me, ship me a keg of your finest and I'll email a picture of me testing your beer with a write up....

OnTap: Rocky's IPA
OnTap: Wife's Ale
OnTap: Air
Fermenter: Vanilla Porter, Riley's Smile, Mead
OnDeck: Wifes Ale, J da Arrogant Bastard, Js Pale Ale, Rocky's Bark

Last edited by jtrainer; 08-19-2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Typo

Quick Reply