Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Bottle Washer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2008, 02:48 AM   #1
JNJC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottle Washer

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of trying to build some sort of bottle washer. My Idea is to construct a tree with pipe similar to a drying rack. With one end attached to a pump, this will pump liquid through the tree into each bottle.

To use I am thinking:

1) Pump Sterilising fluid into the tree
2) Pump water into the tree to rinse
3) Leave it to dry on the tree

I am thinking by doing it this way I could wash an entire brews worth of bottles in a couple of minutes.

Have any of you guys done something like this ? Care to share thoughts/experiences ? If anybody sees any flaws with this idea or has a better one I'd appreciate the feedback.

Thanks,
JC

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2008, 02:52 AM   #2
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

someone has to sell this. I have thought about this too. what about just PVC 1/2" piping

Old 03-27-2008, 03:08 AM   #3
JNJC
Recipes 

PVC piping is what I had in mind, the main area I am not sure about is what sort of pump to use. I am thinking I will see what sort of pump I can get my hands on cheaply and go from there.....

Old 03-27-2008, 11:38 AM   #4
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I had an idea for something like this once but I haven't tried to build it yet, basically take one of those store bought red plastic bottle drying racks and build a circulatory system with that small diameter silicone tubing used for air-stones and aquarium pumps. the issue with this design is you need either a lot of tee connections for the tubing or to build some kind of manifold a 1 into 9 tee. with both the PVC and this design you might want to work out some way to turn off excess tiers on the bottle rack since I assume you wont always be sanitizing the full rack of bottles or squirting fluid into nothing or sterilizing bottles you don't need.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:19 PM   #5
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This is the bottle rack i would try to build if you wanted to make something from scratch. the drawings arent complete just cause of lazyness but the first one is a cross sectional view of the top, the top most piece is a plunger that has a hose connected to the top that would go to a pump and it would be inserted into the tube as far as you want to bypass the upper tiers so that if your not sanitizing a full rack you dont have to pump fluid to the upper tiers. the second picture is just to give you an idea of what the full thing would be.
http://www.buerkle.de/eng/d2-1.php
this link shows chemical resistances for various plastics, basically it says do not use iodine and PVC but bleach and PVC is ok. So make sure whatever plastics you use are safe with the sanitizers your going to use.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:34 PM   #6
knarfks
Recipes 

bleach would defeat the entire purpose, you would have to rinse. Starsan would probably foam too much to be useful. Wouldn't it be just as easy to do one bottle at a time with a pump? You have to put the bottles on the tree anyway.

Primary: nothing :(
Secondary: Dry Mead
Bottled: Oatmeal Stout, apfelwein, craplwein, Orange Blossom Mead, Two heart clone
Kegged: Apfelwein...wedding cleared out 3 kegs

Old 03-28-2008, 12:10 AM   #7
JNJC
Recipes 

This is a very rough drawing of what I have in mind.

This would be enclosed in a sort of box with say around 15 bottles per level.
Each level would be attached to the back bone water supply with flexible hose so you can pull it out to stack bottles.

To use you would fill the reservoir at the bottom with sterilising agent + water. The pump would then pump the agent into the bottles. After a minute or two switch off the pump, use the tap to drain out the sterilising agent. Then fill the reservoir with water, switch on the pump and it rinses the bottles. Just leave the bottles in the rack to drain and you are ready to go. I was also thinking of space in the enclosure for the other bits and pieces that need to be cleaned.

Last edited by JNJC; 03-28-2008 at 12:14 AM.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:27 AM   #8
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

actually I dont know why i didnt think of it earlier but you could just use the dishwasher it takes a little more time but it sanitizes really well and doesnt take much effort.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:33 AM   #9
slimer

Recipes 

You would definitely need something to secure the bottles from the water pressure that you're using to sanitize/rinse.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:49 AM   #10
JNJC
Recipes 

I had thought of the dishwasher idea (I normally put the bottles in the dishwasher as I use them, before storing them) but would a normal cycle really sanitise the bottles ? I reckon if I put the sanitising agent in the dishwasher and it corroded something or ended up breaking the dishwasher I'd have to find somewhere else to live....

Last edited by JNJC; 03-28-2008 at 12:51 AM.

Quick Reply