Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Boiling with a FB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
GreenMonti
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Boiling with a FB

I started this thread cause I didn't want things to get too far off track on the calandria build.(MK-I) This is just kinda a sharing of experiences with the quest I have been on to build my new brewing system.

Today, I ran the boiler with a recirculating system for the condensate and boiler feed. Still an unpressurized setup like before. I am just feeding the boiler with the spent hot water. This makes a huge difference in fuel consumption. Much more then I thought it would. Once my water tank was up around 200* I was able to run the boiler at what I believe is half fire. Once the brewery is setup I figure if I let the boiler generate steam the entire mash schedule, I could just divert the unwanted steam from the mash to the water tank for preheating. During the mash, the boiler will be running at a very low rate of fire, so I would actually be saving more fuel this way. Anyway I starting to ramble. Lets get to the info.

I started the total system from a cold start. All the water was at 54*. The kettle had 14 gallons in it this time. The new coil shroud made some big changes. What I did was limit the flow into the shroud so the contact time was increased. The coils require a 6" diameter tube to fit inside of. I tack welded on a bottom plate and made a hole for the coils to pass through. I then drilled eight 1/8" holes for the flow. I took the temp reading inside of the cylinder where the coils were at and also read the kettle temp.

....................................inside the cylinder............kettle temp
Starting temp 54*
5 mins in..............................130*.............. .............54*
10 mins in..............................165*.............. .............62*
15 mins in..............................185*.............. ..............90*
20 min in...............................196*............. ..............124*
25 mins in..............................207*.............. .............157*
30 mins in...........................212-213*........................180* Tons of little bubbles
32 mins in..............................213*.............. ..............186* Pushing water upward
33 mins in...........................213-214*........................190*
34 mins in...........................214-215*........................194*
35 mins in...........................214-215*.........................200* Pushing water upward more hard
38 mins in.............................215*............... .............206* Light boil
40 mins in.............................215*............... .............208* Gentle boil
42 mins in.............................216*............... .............208* Full boil
The water tank was now at 160*, with a full on flame.
When the water tank reached about 180* I had to turn down the fire to keep pressure down in the boiler. When the water tank hit 195* I turned down the fire more, to 1 1/2" turns open on the regulator. Again it was building pressure. Now I have to run my fire at a solid 2 turns open when direct firing my kettle and doing a 6 gallon run. This things was boiling 14 gallons baby.

I'll be right back for a couple of pics and a video or two.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2010, 11:35 PM   #2
GreenMonti
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

This gives you an idea of how tall the coils are next to the cylinder

A closer shot of the coils.

The bottom of the coils

The coils inside the cylinder.

The connection on the bottom.

A view inside the cylinder. Trying to show the small holes for flow.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:39 PM   #3
GreenMonti
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

This is how the water tank started out. I raised the water level, you will see that in one of the videos.

A shot of the setup.

I put a flow gauge on the boiler.

A couple minuets into the run. This puppy was full.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:42 PM   #4
GreenMonti
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Since I can't seem to post mutiple videos in one post they will be in seperate posts.

First one. This was at the 45-50 mins in mark.
http://s385.photobucket.com/albums/o...t=P1010007.flv

Old 03-06-2010, 11:43 PM   #5
GreenMonti
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

This is after turning down the fire a bit. Pretty much the same stuff as the first video just all kettle action.
http://s385.photobucket.com/albums/o...t=P1010008.flv

Old 03-06-2010, 11:49 PM   #6
GreenMonti
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

This is after taming the beast and getting the boil down to a pretty good level. I think this is a good boil. This is only running at half fire. At this rate I decided to add water to the kettle cause it had been boiling for an hour now. I lost a little over 2 gallons during that hour. When I added the cold water to the kettle I just about lost the boil. I did nothing to the fire rate as I wanted too see how fast it would recover. By the time I shut off the hose and turned back around it was starting to roll. About a minuet, minuet and a half it was back to a rocking boil. Here is that boil.

Edit: sorry for the noise. My pump got a little loud when the water tank got up to 190-200*

http://s385.photobucket.com/albums/o...t=P1010010.flv

Old 03-22-2010, 08:16 PM   #7
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3477 Times on 2153 Posts
Likes Given: 2986

If you are using propane, would you mind weighing your tank before and after? Nice to know the energy going into the system. Thanks.

Very impressive, by the way. Those are some tight coils.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:19 PM   #8
willynilly
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

There are several threads running on this thing...

Very nice craftsmanship BTW.

I took information on burner pressures, BTU output, heating times etc... and came up with a breakdown in another thread that went as far as total BTUs used to boil for an hour with a 1.5 gal/hr boil off rate. All based on Monti's numbers, pressures and BTU calculations.

Based on the turns on the regulator, he was using about 75,000 - 80,000 BTUs while reaching the boil per another thread where he posted those numbers.

The volume and heating times above show a transfer of about 27,000 BTUs (36% eff.)

This is a marked gain over a direct fired kettle with no special shroud.

If the burner eff. was linear, then it would take about 34,000 BTUs from the burner to create the 12,000+ BTUs to achieve a 1.5 gal/hr boil off rate. Total BTU useage would have been about 89,000 BTUs to reach a boil and boil off 1.5 gallons.

This is based on Monti's BTU/pressure numbers in another thread, and the heating time and volume from this thread. Though weighing the tank before and after would certainly be more concrete than just using the math, that will take into account all of the variables.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:30 PM   #9
diatonic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 14

This kind of makes me want to build a steam generator with electric elements. Relief valve, moisture seperator, condensate pump... hmm...

.:diatonic:.

1° - Simple Cider (2/15/2014) - Saison Mead (6/26/2014) - En Perpetuum (Belgian sour base) (7/3/2014)
2° - Nuthin
Aging in a wine barrel - En Perpetuum—Solera (1/23/2011)
Kegs - May the Schwarz-Bier with you (2/9/2014) — Test Depth American Stout (8/29/2013), Big Red Imperial Red IPA (1/19/2014)

My brew rig is pretty much done :)
You should follow me on Twitter - My Brew Logs

Old 03-22-2010, 09:22 PM   #10
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3477 Times on 2153 Posts
Likes Given: 2986

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
If you are using propane, would you mind weighing your tank before and after? Nice to know the energy going into the system. Thanks.

Very impressive, by the way. Those are some tight coils.
If you have the means to weigh the tank to a fraction of a pound, just run a quick 10 minute test at your normal burn rate. Water temps, etc, don't matter for this test. If I know the exact time duration, and the before & after weights of the tank, I can precisely determine the BTU/hr blowing out of the burner. You've seen the simple equation I posted before probably, but just post the numbers here and I'll do it (or, likely, quick willy will beat me to it).

Quick Reply