New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > BM23C - 2.5" tower to 3" to add faucets?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
irish_brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default BM23C - 2.5" tower to 3" to add faucets?

I managed to score a BM23C, all stainless for a steal from a local auction. Cleaned it up and it works great, the only downfall is the 2.5" tower. Since the kegerator holds up to 4 hb kegs at a time, I was hoping to expand to a 3 or 4 faucet setup but its going to be a challenge. The tap tower sits up on a ledge that is only 4 1/4" wide making the standard 3" tower flange a no go (see pic of a similar unit). I could go the PVC route and paint it black, but that takes away from the unit being all stainless. I've considered cramming some faucets in the tower myself, but the tower is a bit rough and seems like it might actually be plastic so replacing it might be a good idea anyways. Perhaps there is a 3" tower out there with a smaller flange? I've contacted Jeff @ acumetalfab as well so we'll see what they say. Anyone have any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
brans041
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You can have the top capped with a larger cylinder. Or you could have the tower go to the left or the right.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
irish_brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I have thought about doing the T tower thing, but I'd have to fab something up which I'm sure would not match very nice. The issue with capping the top with one of those extensions is that they all seem to be made for the 3" tower. Hopefully I can get something decided on before my Bev-Seal Ultra gets here.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
irish_brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I've decided to take a crack at adding the taps to my faucet myself via a step bit and some patience. Its going to be a tight fit, but I ordered some 90 degree shanks from AHB along with some Perlick 525ss since I already have a 575ss creamer. The bit is from Amazon, a Neiko that was suggested elsewhere on HBT that seems to be cheap and have positive reviews by home brewers. Hoping for the best!

Old 11-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
rekoob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Nice score.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
irish_brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Everything showed up on Friday and I managed to drill out the tower Saturday. I forgot to buy tap handles for the faucets so I'll have to get over to the LHBS and grab some before I post a pic of the completed tower. I used Bev Seal Ultra for the lines using the heatgun method to get them on the barbed connections which only took 15-20 mins leaving me with just the right amount of space for the tower cooling hose. I mounted the faucets 60 degrees off center since there wasn't much room, with one about a half inch lower than the other. I was going for the same height, measured twice then cut the hole only to find out it was off somehow....divine intervention perhaps? I also grabbed a can of flat black I had on hand and painted the tower top since it was chipped and looking terrible. Overall I think things worked out quite well, now I just have to solve my drain problem.

Quick Reply