*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Blichman gun vs. counter pressure filler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #1
Matthewjscott
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Blichman gun vs. counter pressure filler

Like many of us tinkerers, I am trying to figure out if it is easy and efficient to build a counter pressure filler or just buy a blichman gun. Do any of you have any thoughts or suggestions/links for a build?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
grumpywolf
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Have a look at this, it's as cheap as chips and works really well. I've made one and it's dead easy to make and use (even for a grumpy old sod like me)

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-n...eer-gun-24678/

Old 07-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
cfonnes
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I used to use a home made counter pressure filler, I am very glad that I eventually bought the beer gun. I would never go back.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
evandena
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I like the morebeer counter pressure bottle filler. Filling under pressure is key, and it is something that the beer gun cannot do.

My YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/evandena/videos

Old 07-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I have both the Blichmann Beer Gun and the MoreBeer Deluxe CPBF. I prefer the CPBF. There's a few things that I prefer:

* On the morebeer, you control the flow via an adjustable pressure relief twist valve on the side. On the blichmann, you need to control the flow via the regulator's psi settings and length of beer hose. You can use the B3 filler with short hose and be fine...I used 5' hose at 12psi and using the relief valve, I filled the bottle with almost no foaming (I did go pretty slow). This also means less beer hose to get in your way.

* I can leave my regulator at serving pressure the entire time instead of having to drop it to really low psi for the blichmann. I had a lot of foam issues filling with the blichmann mostly due to pressure used (trying to find the sweetspot from 2psi to 5psi). With the B3, you are filling under pressure and you can literally go as fast or as slow as you want very easily using the adjustable valve on the side.

I kinda wish they made a semi-deluxe counter pressure filler...keep the flare fittings of the deluxe, but lose the co2 gauge. That way, I could just chuck the whole thing into sanitizer instead of being careful about the gauge. If you get the one without the gauge, they are about equal to clean.

As far as fillings, the Blichmann is faster (disregarding how fast the beer comes out). With the blichmann, you purge with co2 with the same hand that you release the beer flow. The procedure is basically stick beergun in bottle, purge with co2 and hit beer trigger. With the B3 CPBF, you need to stopper the bottle (stopper is built into filller), swing the valve to co2 to pressurize the bottle, turn the adjustable valve to vent the bottle a little (purging), close the adjustable valve, swing the ball valve to beer, turn the adjustable relief valve to fill. It's definitely more involved and time-consuming, but I feel there's so much more control and I'll have a better end product. If I was filling tons of bottles, I'd probably go blichmann. If I was bottling a little bit or filling for comps, I'd go B3 CPBF.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
DeafSmith
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewThruYou View Post
I kinda wish they made a semi-deluxe counter pressure filler...keep the flare fittings of the deluxe, but lose the co2 gauge. That way, I could just chuck the whole thing into sanitizer instead of being careful about the gauge.
Assuming that the gauge has a 1/4 MIP fitting, then why not remove the gauge, and attach to the gauge a 1/4 FIP to 1/4 MFL (or if you can't find that fitting, a 1/4 coupling then a 1/4 MIP to 1/4 MFL). Then make a real short piece of tubing with a 1/4 FFL swivel nut to barb and on the other end of that tube put a barb to 1/4 MIP. Now you can easily detach the gauge at the MFL/FFL connection.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
Rundownhouse
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by evandena View Post
I like the morebeer counter pressure bottle filler. Filling under pressure is key, and it is something that the beer gun cannot do.
Can't you just stick a drilled stopper on the Blichmann and fill under pressure that way?

Old 07-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafSmith View Post
Assuming that the gauge has a 1/4 MIP fitting, then why not remove the gauge, and attach to the gauge a 1/4 FIP to 1/4 MFL (or if you can't find that fitting, a 1/4 coupling then a 1/4 MIP to 1/4 MFL). Then make a real short piece of tubing with a 1/4 FFL swivel nut to barb and on the other end of that tube put a barb to 1/4 MIP. Now you can easily detach the gauge at the MFL/FFL connection.
Good idea...a detachable gauge would be sweet. However, I'm worried I'll screw it up. Right now, I'm submersing most of the filler and spraying certain parts with starsan solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rundownhouse View Post
Can't you just stick a drilled stopper on the Blichmann and fill under pressure that way?
I"m running this through my head right now. You would lack the ability to vent the gas from the bottle via the pressure relief, but you could just burp the stopper to vent. I would be willing to try this with my Blichmann if someone can convince me that I won't blow up the bottle (I don't know how I could...the co2 is regulated at 12psi).

The only downside I see is that you still lack the adjustable pressure on device. The thing I like so much about the B3 CPBF is the adjustable relief valve on the side...it's basically flow control when filling. If I stoppered the Blichmann, I guess it would basically turn into an expensive Biermuncher bottle filler with the ability to pressurize the bottle first and hit with co2 before capping.

If we could flow control a stoppered Blichmann Beergun, it would probably be the best of both worlds - easier operation than a CPBF but still counter pressured.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #9
evandena
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rundownhouse

Potentially. It might get messy as you try to expel excess foam/liquid like the morebeer valve does. It's a lot slower to burp a stopper though.

My YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/evandena/videos

Old 07-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #10
heckels
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 40 Posts

I highly recommend the Boonie bottle filler attachment for the Perlicks. It works great plus you can fill at serving pressure and it only requires about 2 ft of hose.

And for those that want to control pressure with a stopper, simply use a basketball needle.

Quick Reply