Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > BIAB brew stand with hoist and pump

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #61
smokewater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The baskets make less of a mess when you let them drain above the brew kettle. Easier to line up over the kettle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #62
fortydegnorth
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 5 Posts

The basket has four areas that act as standoffs and lift the basket up maybe 1/4" off the bottom. Bolts could easily be added to lift it higher.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:25 AM   #63
goybar
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So how does that work with your ball valve?

Clearly the ball valve would lift it higher off of the bottom than 1/4", so how does that affect the lid from sitting properly on the top?

-Chris

Old 03-09-2012, 12:36 AM   #64
TacoBrew
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've done up to 25 lbs with my biab keggle, no basket. With a good stitch I wouldn't worry about the bag ripping. You will have to add more water after the mash though. I doubt you could fit full volume and the grain. Also make sure your keggle top is as wide as possible. Don't want the bag catching on the cut edge.

OP I would love your setup. Very efficient. How long does that burner take to reach mash/boil?

Old 03-09-2012, 12:42 AM   #65
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 443 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortydegnorth View Post
Water test is done. Everyone can relax now about tipping.......including me.

Tipping was never a concern to me...one could merely unhook the basket while it is still over the kettle. Rather than an outrigger, adding weight to the stand would give added stability...like a crane w/ counterweights. Already said it once...but worth saying again...nice build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBrew View Post
I've done up to 25 lbs with my biab keggle, no basket. With a good stitch I wouldn't worry about the bag ripping.
I have to agree, w/ a well stitched bag, ripping is not really a concern...someday soon I will load test a bag...but I would guess 100 lbs plus before a problem.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:13 AM   #66
fortydegnorth
Recipes 

The basket sits down in the kettle, without measuring I'd say over an inch. Right now I don't have a diptube, just a weldess valve. There is enough room for the basket to fit without disturbing the valve so the basket still sits on the bottom of the kettle. To get all the liquid out I would have to tip the kettle while the pump sucks it out. I will eventually raise the kettle or modify it to allow a diptube to drain the kettle nearly dry. The lid would still fit even if it was raised off the bottom within reason.

A little creative plumbing would allow a bottom drain so the basket would still be nearly on the bottom. I'd worry about the heat on the valve at that point though.

"Tacobrew"- I haven't brewed on the stand yet so I'm not sure on how long to boil or reach temps. I'll try it out in a few weeks when my fermenters and kegs get empty.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:43 AM   #67
Fran7
Recipes 

I don't have read all the previous poste and I don't know if someone already told you but the horizontal angle that hold the bottom of the crane was not a good choise. For the same amound of steel, a square section will be 10 time stronger than this angle. With the bucket full, it will cause torsion in the angle and angles are not good to resit to torsion. It may work, all depend of the size of the angle and the weight of basket. Trust me, I have enough structure classes to know what i'm talking about. But it's a nice build, good job.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:40 AM   #68
NRF
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Very nice build!

Thanks for posting the eye candy for us all to enjoy. Please let us know how that first batch comes out.

Secondary
MT
Bottled
Colt's Neck Honey Wheat,Fat Tire Amber Ale clone,SN Pale Ale clone, Celebration clone, Pumkin Ale, Dubbel Trouble
Don't worry, be hoppy!

Old 03-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #69
fortydegnorth
Recipes 

I understand all the structural things that are being talked about but you have to remember that this hoist is going to be holding 40 pounds. I could duct tape a dowel rod to the side of the stand and it would hold for a while. Most of these brew stands are incredibly over built to hold very little weight in relation to there structural stability. I would guess most Brutus stands could hold a few tons if they didn't have cheap casters. I just used what I had and I was hanging over 100 pounds off the side and the stand didn't budge. I'm willing to take the risk of using a 6" long piece of 3"x3" angle to hold less than 60 pounds for ten minutes.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #70
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 443 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortydegnorth View Post
I understand all the structural things that are being talked about but you have to remember that this hoist is going to be holding 40 pounds. I could duct tape a dowel rod ....
Yea I hear ya. But if you had done the stand differently, you could use the hoist to lift the front of your truck while changing out the brakes

I love this stand!

Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Quick Reply