Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > BIAB brew stand with hoist and pump

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 10:40 PM   #51
fortydegnorth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 5 Posts

Worst case scenario, I add an extension onto the side with a caster to keep it stable. I may test tonight with water in the pot to see how much it takes to make it tipsy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 10:57 PM   #52
fortydegnorth
Recipes 

Water test is done. Everyone can relax now about tipping.......including me. With 12 gallons of water in the pot and the boom extended straight out perpendicular to the stand (as far away as possible) it took 60 pounds in the basket to make it start to tip. In the position where it just clears the kettle by 3"-4" (which is what I'll always do) it took over 100 pounds to make it start to tip. A big beer, 10 gallon batch may have 30 pounds of grain. With absorbtion I could see a gallon or so being left in the grain after smashing it over the kettle. If that's the case I may have 38-40 pounds in the basket. Well within tipping. We aren't talking about 150 pounds hanging there. Once the wort is smashed from the grain and drains substantially I'll rotate it enough to clear the pot, lower it a bit and then just lift it off the hook. I never forsee having to worry about tipping this unless someone is hanging on it. For safety sake I may put a hinged outrigger on the side with a foot just to be reassured. Simple, cheap and effective. I'd recommend to anyone building one to just make the stand 6" wider on the boom side to allow the weight to be over the wheels.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:28 PM   #53
pvtschultz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I'm jealous... I'm going to have to revisit my setup now.

2014 Gallons Brewed: 19
Gallons Brewed '11-'13: 250

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/pvt...inally-298407/

Old 03-08-2012, 12:38 AM   #54
kickrjason
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Subbed!

Tap#1 Summer Saison
Tap#2 Amarillo Pale Ale

Primary English Mild
Secondary -Vanilla Chai Mead

Kegged Haüs Hefeweisen #4, Speckled Heifer Cream Ale
Bottled - Cherry Oatmeal Stout, Burbon Vanilla Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Hefeweisen, Stubborn Baby Pale Ale,

Old 03-08-2012, 12:54 AM   #55
BrothOfVigor
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Very cool. I wish I had your crafting abilities. My one question is about the CFC, it looks like you will be pumping the wort down to nearly ground level, and then have it forced back up to whatever your fermenter-in height is, but once you run out of fluid on the pump inlet you will lose that ability. What volume loss are you expecting to be left in the CFC? Are you planning to recover it or just factor that towards your brewery efficiency?

Old 03-08-2012, 01:36 AM   #56
fortydegnorth
Recipes 

I lose some in the chiller but never really worry about it. I make my batches large enough to have around 11 gallons going into the fermentor so after trub and yeast I have 10 gallons going into kegs. If I was worried about a little loss in a chiller I wouldn't be brewing on an $800 stand. I'd just buy beer. As much as we'd like to think we are saving tons of money on this hobby I'm convinced that we are just having fun and making great beer. I don't fret the efficiency or small losses. My chiller was always resing around a 5 gallon bucket before with my Brutus and it never made much difference to me then. The chiller isn't attached to the stand it's just resting on the aluminum shelf so it could be raised up.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #57
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Very nice! I was wondering, why do people tend to use baskets and bags instead of just using a bag. Is it issues with strength? Bling factor? I want to do BIAB but since I'm doing electric would like to do so without a basket (no need to protect the element). I figured when I was done mashing I could gather up the longer ends of the bag, wrap a rope around it (slip knot) and lift it out. Probably have something similar to your setup, but simpler to hold it above the pot as I get up to boiling.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 03-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #58
AnchorBock
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
Very nice! I was wondering, why do people tend to use baskets and bags instead of just using a bag. Is it issues with strength? Bling factor? I want to do BIAB but since I'm doing electric would like to do so without a basket (no need to protect the element). I figured when I was done mashing I could gather up the longer ends of the bag, wrap a rope around it (slip knot) and lift it out. Probably have something similar to your setup, but simpler to hold it above the pot as I get up to boiling.
I feel a lot more comfortable hanging and lifting by the basket lined with the bag than hanging the bag itself. When buying a new kettle it was easy to find one that came with a basket (I ended up getting a 20g for 10g batches and a 15g for 5g batches - both with baskets).

Old 03-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #59
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thanks I am planning on using a keggle so wouldn't have a good sized basket. Is BIAB going to be hard to do a normal gravity beer 10g in a 15g pot?

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 03-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #60
goybar
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You can always add more water after you remove the grains to reach your pre-boil volume.

fortydegnorth - how many inches from the bottom of the basket to the bottom of the pot?

-chris

Quick Reply